247 (39.6%)
Colt Peacemaker
58 (9.3%)
Colt Replica (Model P)
163 (26.1%)
Other (Rem, OT, etc..)
156 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 500

Author Topic: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why?  (Read 196959 times)

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why?
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »
I've got several that I realy like to shoot, depending on the mood, but my overall favorite would have to be the 60' RM conversion in 44 colt.  It is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot, bar none.  Other than that probably my walkers are next.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Kidd Krystin

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2007, 06:45:01 PM »
Cimarron 1872 Open-Tops, 7-1/2" barrel, Army frame.  They are dead accurate and have a real coolness factor to them.  Had a chance recently to shoot a USFA Rodeo and one other Colt clone and didn't like the feel or the sight picture nearly as much. 

Offline greenwood county cowboy

• 14 year old gun slick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2007, 08:16:08 PM »
ruger......im gonna have to go with ruger

yeee haaw

RATS!!

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 11:40:51 AM »

Offline NARVOUS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2007, 08:33:46 AM »
  Ruger #1 :)
Narvous
Cowboy on the Rocken H Ranch

Take care of your gun and it will take care of you.
My Cas City Profile: http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/NARVOUS/

Offline Milo Talon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2007, 10:31:33 PM »
Ruger Original Model Vaquero in 45

Offline grit

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »
I do believe I fancy my american regulator by ubertie, no problems an it shoots what I aim at!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Regulators , mount up!

Offline Cimarron Lawman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »
I don't shoot CAS (yet), but I love all 19th Century revolvers. My favorite, both to handle and to shoot, is the '75 Remington.

Frank James was pretty smart.  ;D

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2007, 11:56:16 AM »
My favorite is the older model ruger vequeros.  Several reasons.  OK   they are heavy, but if you accidently over charge a round while reloading, they will handle it.  Dependability, relaibility.   And one thing a lot of folks take for granted, is safety.  The transfer bar under the hammer.  If you accidently drop one cocked, not a problem.

Now, it does take some work to get it shooting just right.  New spring kits, honing the cylinders for better accuracy, trigger job, and dont forget the sight in work.  And you can go as far as cosmetics too.  I have maybe 750 tied up in each pistol.  yeah, yeah, I could have bought an original colt for that!. What can I say.

Mine are in 45 Colt. 5 1/4" barrels.  I shoot 45 colt, 45 scholfield, and even 45 auto rim out of the darn things.  Once tune, they shoot as good if not better than my colt gold cup.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Eddie Mckean

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
Ruger because it's the only one I own.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2007, 04:31:11 AM »
Howdy!

I shoot 2  1875 Remingtons, 7.5" barrel from Uberti and an older 1873 Colt repro from AWA, that is pretty much piece for piece a copy of a 2nd Gen. Colt.  I've been told that parts will interchange. 

The (Uberti) Remington(s) is(are) very nice, and has had no work done to it before I got it(them) that I know of.  The AWA I bought new and is marked "AWA Italy" under the barrel, and except for a replacement wire bolt/trigger spring, is stock.  I replaced the spring by choice, not because it broke.  It has been flawless in operation.  I have 2 of the Remingtons and one broke a non-essential "safety-for-importation" part and both have been fantastic in operation AND accuracy.  I shoot Warthog (FULL power, but safe published loads) with either BP or the occasional smokeyless loads.  If I use BigLube (tm) bullets that carry lots of lube and BP, all my guns will easily last an entire match without cleaning, but like many, the Remington design gets sticky faster.

This also holds true for my 1860 (Uberti) Army Colt as well as my 1858 (Pietta) NMA Remington C&B revolvers.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Sgt. Scattergun

• Sgt. Scattergun
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2007, 11:29:03 PM »
Remington 1875 "Outlaws" mine are by Uberti w/ 7 1/2" barrels. The feel & look great. They shoot dead on.
If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »
Beretta Laramie 5" .45LC.
The perfect grip style for me (once the grips are replaced with S&W repros). Looks good, very accurate, shoots well 1- or 2-handed. Good balance.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2007, 07:27:09 AM »
Howdy again!

I mentioned my favorite guns for CAS shooting.

I also have an old Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt that was a factory special edition.  It started life as a 3" (and a bit) barreled gun styled like a Sheriff's model, but with the ejector housing.  It came with special Laser-cut white Micarta grips.  The action had been worked on at the factory and light (but still factory) springs installed.  Since then I added a Qualite' brass Birdhead grip (done BEFORE Ruger came out with their own B-head guns), and I've done some other things to it; but no action work - it wasn't really needed.  During its customization, the "menu" disappeared from the side of the barrel.  ::) ::)

I DON"T shoot it for NCOWS, but for just plain shooting or the occasional SASS match it comes out and it is one of the best handling guns I've ever had!  I wish   it were as accurate as my 1875s, but alas ... only my Python (named Monty) or my High Standard Supermatic Citation can claim that! 

The mechanical workings and inherant safety of the Rugers are legendary ... it's as tough - or tougher  ;D - than my old M1A1 tank!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2007, 05:57:03 PM »
After shooting Remingtons, Schofields, Conversions and Open Tops, I've come back to my first pistols, Colt SAA's.  My Favorite SAA Clone is an Old EMF 7.5 inch barreled .45 Colt Dakota, made by Jaeger of Italy.  I can shoot Black Powder, the various Substitutes and Smokeless with no problems.  BP & Subs shoot the best out of it and it's Companion, an EMF Artillery Model.  The best part of my Jaeger is the 1860 Army Grip and Frame I had fitted back in 1989.

My next modification is to get a cone type firing pin for them.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline bean bamdit 24424L

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »
Howdy from San Diego

I fell in love with the Colt SAA at age 6 or 7 at that time and place I was living in Tijuana Mexico, my sister and I on Saturday's Matinee cap gun in hand we fought the bad guys along side Gene, Roy and Hoppy.

Every since then I always wanted a real Colt SASS and could never afford one I grew up with my Mom playing the role of Mom and Dad.

Now I shoot a pair of  nickel plated second generation Colt SAA in .45LC. as to why I like the SAAA well the balance, the way they feel to my small hands and most of all 'cause I made my dream come true, at age 64 I'm still playing Cowboy's and Indians. :)

Only in America could I make my dream to own not one but 66 Colt SAA most first and second generation and 46 Colt auto-loaders most of them 1911 Military.

Safe shooting and happy trails :)

BB24424L
PRK.

Offline gregr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2007, 10:03:38 AM »
well to date i have only shot a replica Model P, so i'd have to go with that out of shee inexperience. Hopefully i will have more to add to this in upcoming months.

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2007, 12:47:38 PM »
well to date i have only shot a replica Model P, so i'd have to go with that out of shee inexperience. Hopefully i will have more to add to this in upcoming months.

I started with an old Cimarron in 44-40, which promptly broke halfway throught the first box of shells through it.  I then had the pleasure of going to my first SASS match at the old Tin Star Ranch in Fredericksberg, Texas, and handing my broken gun to the best gunsmith I've ever known, the late Bob Taylor, who returned it with an action job on top of a new hand spring, even though I'd only paid him for the repair itself.

I stupidly sold it so I could have a pair of .44 mag Rugers to play the game with, but that sixgun remains the single best shooting single action I've ever owned.  Something about the bottle neck cartridge of the 44-40 made it the cleanest shooter as well.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2007, 10:56:43 PM »
2nd Gen Colt BP 1851 Navies cause they look good, feel good, shoot good, are authentic to the period, and if they were good enough for Wild Bill, they're good enough for me.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »
At first it was the Rugers but then I got an AWA Longhorn smooth as silk.
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2007, 09:05:20 PM »
At first it was the Rugers but then I got an AWA Longhorn smooth as silk.
Well everyone makes mistakes now and then---- Ruger! Ruger! Ruger! Yea Ruger! j/k enjoy your new toy!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com