Author Topic: H.Bowen tuned Ruger-comments?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
H.Bowen tuned Ruger-comments?
« on: June 14, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »
Given the range of comments generated in the Colt Hall about Bob Munden  I thought that I would start a thread here concerning value, actual and perceived on a S/S Ruger Vaquero that had a Hamilton Bowen action job done on it many years ago. No other work. A very slick gun. This was my second CAS revolver that I purchased. The first was a new Ruger Bisley but I didn't like the grip. Sold it and bought this one used with the action work. My SASS number is 11754 so I'm an old cowboy.. My earliest award was a 1999 4th place Duelist plaque from the NC State match. But I digress. Anyone else have a gun that Bowen worked on? And how do you like it?
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: H.Bowen tuned Ruger-comments?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
Hi Balto ........

We must first establish I am mildly Opinionated.  No, really ..... I am.  Also an almost, just about completely retired Gunplumber.  Not remotely close to being any sort of collector.  Some possibility my opinion is somewhat jaundiced.  However dot dot dot:

You have a really nice USED gun.  If you can find someone who is a dyed in the wool (or cotton) Hamilton Bowen Fanatic, you can probably get it back to the price of new ruger.  Most potential punters are going to try and beat you down to "really cheap" because it is after all a used gun.  It really doesn't matter who worked on it.

I constantly see adverts "for sale" for silly money, quoting "Action Work by Einstein."  Those guns mostly go begging at the original asking price.  Then the price drops start and head for the basement, or the owner simply withdraws the item from sale and heads off into the sunset muttering unkind things.

Poor example number one.  Some years back, the '97 was the HOT ticket for fame and fortune.  Many sold north of $900.  Guns that use to sell for $150.  Now, the REALLY HOT ticket are upper end Doubles, selling for silly money.  Nice '97s are now back in the $450 - 500 range and going down.  If one were foolish enough to buy at the height of popularity ............ P. T. BARNUM said it well.

A really kind dealer will offer you approximately 1/3d of retail.  May come up to half.

Coffinmaker

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
YOU opinionated!! I just don't see it but at 3000 plus posts you do have a lot to say. i don't remember thinking that I paid more than I should have and at the time didn't even know who Bowen was. I knew that it was a lot slicker than my stock Ruger. I agree that custom work on a firearm can only increase it's value if it's on the order of Tiffany or engraving by a known Colt or Smith engraver. A Codymatic is only more valuable to another cas shooter who wants a race rifle. To the guy who just wants a nice 73 it's too $$. Not interested in selling anything even though I don't use my Rugers anymore. Just curious about Bowen. I enjoy your opinions but you didn't hear it from me.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:43:14 PM »

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »
I know this is an old thread but for future posterity, Hamilton Bowen is perhaps the best revolversmith extant. His work is nearly without peer and you don't have to be a "dyed in the wool Bowen fanatic" to appreciate his work. Most folks who are into revolvers know about Hamilton Bowen. His recreation of the famous Keith #5 is a $20,000 masterpiece.

SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com