Author Topic: shooting problems with the vaquero  (Read 5142 times)

Offline greenwood county cowboy

• 14 year old gun slick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
shooting problems with the vaquero
« on: April 11, 2007, 05:19:02 PM »
i just got a brand new glossy vaquero .45 and all my shots are in a great group but there all about 10 inches low. i rekon it cause im just pullin down when i shoot..it was only my first 50 shots and im wondering if i just need more practice....any advice

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: shooting problems with the vaquero
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:37:46 PM »
A bit more information's going to be needed.

What range distance?

What bullet weight?

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• 14 year old gun slick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:39:58 PM »
from bout 15 to 20
shooting at a paper target

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:55:43 AM »

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:10:22 PM »
we still need more info.

are you shootin off hand? if so then use some sandbags to steady your gun when shootin to see if that helps.
is the gun the old model vaquero or new model?

are you using your reloads? if so then try different loads.

You may allready know this but I will type it anyways because someone may find this usefull. so please bear with me.

start at the bottom of the loading chart for the powder you are using and load for 10 rounds. next 10 rounds load with .5 grains more. do this for about 6 different loadings of 10 rounds as long as this dose not put your loads over the recommended max load of the chart that you are using.
go to range and set up a big target, i use the white wide butcher paper. this will let you see where bullets are hitting better.
pace off 15 to 20 yards and set up a shootin bench there. use sand bags or something else for a gun rest.
make sure you squeze the trigger with just the tip of your index finger on each shot.
after each of the 10 round shootin mark it on your target what the group is(so you know what load you shot).
the best grouping of 10 rounds will tell you what your handgun likes for loads.
after this is done you may still be hitting low and off to one side. practice more with the loading you choose.
if after some more practice your shots still hit low and or to one side find good gunsmith that can adjust your front sight.
you will probably need to take a target of your shots to your gunsmith so he/she can see where you/gun are shootin.
also take a box of ammo to your gunsmith so he knows what you are shootin. he/she will also use your ammo to adjust the sights.

I have the old model vaquero and it shoots great with a 200 grain bullet loaded with 5.2 grains of titegroup large pistol win primer.

I did have to have the front sight filled down alittle to get the gun to hit point of aim.

I know its longwinded but I hope this will help someone out there.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:09:55 AM »
15 - 20 'what' - feet or yards?

At any rate - use yards.

Most ranges have a 25-yard line - set up there, and try several different loads, as has been suggested.

Be advised that you'll print differently from seated and sandbagged bench than if you shoot one-handed, but the different bullet weights will still behave normally.

Use the same point of aim for all shooting.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• 14 year old gun slick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »
15 to 20yrds
new vaquero
.200 grain bullet

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 04:47:36 PM »
Howdy, Pard,

I have zero experience with the NEW Vaqueros, but the Old Models typically ALL shot low at 25 yds because Ruger intentionally left the front sights a bit tall so shooters could file them down to raise the point of aim with their favorite load.  Lighter-than-standard bullets will generally print low since the barrel has recoiled (muzzle raised) less when the bullet exits the muzzle.

St. George's point about the gun shooting differently from a seated and sandbagged rest than when shooting one-handed (and standing, at that) is SPOT ON!  Try using a rest for your forearm from a standing position, with the gun where you will normally hold it.

Hope this helps.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

• 14 year old gun slick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 08:04:07 PM »
well i dont really take a liking to fileing a brand new gun

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:48:51 PM »
I have two OM Vaqueros in . 45 LC caliber. One is used exclusively with black powder cartridges the other with smokeless reloads (as is the blackpowder one). In the smokeless powder reloads I use Tite group and triple seven BP substitute in the other or GOEX Real Black powder both in 2F granulation. That being said I continue.
  I have learned to shoot LOW with both types of powder usually aim at or just above the croch(sp?) area and my POIs
 are always in the "Kill" area on human siloette(sp?) targets @ 15-20 yards. Note I did not say the "Bullseye"
 I shoot Duelest style. If I do use a rest, my POI prints in the heart area each round touching @ 10 yards.
 POA and POI need not be the same, of course it is a lot eaiser if POI and POA are the same, but I doubt seriously(sp?)
if cowboys in the 1870's, 80's or 90's had guns whose POA was the same as their POI. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. But by and large I think my supposition will stand.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline SIESTA

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 02:06:29 PM »
I have had 4 OM Vaqueros and I had to file the sights on all of them.  If you decide you have to use the file, then wrap the barrel area around the sight with several layers of masking tape because if the file slips, it's hard to refinish.  Go slow.  A little at a time and then shoot for a group.  A little goes a long way.  Be sure you have the load that you want to stay with.  Faster or lighter slugs shoot lower.  Slower or heavier slugs shoot higher. ( at short distances )

Siesta
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

SASS #21303;  RATS #92

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com