Author Topic: uniform questions  (Read 72341 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
uniform questions
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
I shot at my first muster in October and had a great time. I pulled my uniform together out of a civil war uniform I own. I want to spend this year improving the authenticity of my kit. I have a four button coat. What is the difference between these and the 5 button coats of the Indian wars period? I think a circa 1880-1885 Cavalry trooper impression seems reasonable for me. I realize the uniforms changed quite a bit over time but I cannot spot the differences. For that time frame what clothing items should I focus on? I have Civil War era union blue trousers and a 4 button blouse. Can they be tailored to work or do I need to start from scratch? I realize I will eventually need to purchase an appropriate blouse, trousers and a hat but I might be able to spread it across a year or two if I prioritize what is most neaded.

Where would you recommend I purchase from if I need to buy?
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: uniform questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »
Hopalong Strong,

The uniforms of the period did change but there was so much made for the civil war the sack coat and trousers would be worn for the garrison or field, only real differance would be the shirt which was a blue pull over.  Look as some of the pictures of the time with the soldiers in the field or on garrison duty, very rarely do they wear the sack coat mostly the shirt white suspenders and the skyblue pants.  This did not change very siginifenty untill 1898.  Looking at your uniform in the picture with your post, the changes I would make would be the belt and holsters, for cav the proper weapon would be the colt or the schofield.  You can find most of what you need at Corrico Leather and Coon Creek traders.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »
I have the blue pull over shirt. you can see it peeking out from the top of my coat.

If I go looking for a cavalry hat, who makes a good one?
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:55:31 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »
Coon Creek Old West has most everything you need.  The 4 button sack was issue to 1872, and worn up until 1880 or so, so thats fine.  THe sky blue trousers did are fine clear up to 1902.  THe regulations for the pants stripe changed in 1872.  Everything narrowed 1/2"  IE corporals now wore a 1/2" stripe, sgts a 1" stripe, officers 1 1/2".  Something to be aware of.

www.cooncreekoldwest.com   

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:41:06 PM »
Your civil war trousers will do quite nicely up until the mid '80's the only real difference being the quality of the cloth after that the pocket openings changed. The grey wool flannel shirt changed a couple times between the civil war and the time the blue shirt became standard issue in the 1890's. The shirt was considered underwear and not seen in polite company until fashion changed in the 1890's (think of the acceptance of the bra as outerwear after Madonna made it popular in the 1980's) There was a more or less expirimental model during 1876, but most shirts were grey. The 5 button blouse was more fitted than the 4 button sack coat and usuallly lined while the sack coat were mostly unlined. The thing that can help you in your change over is the fact that civil war equipage was used even after new regulations were published until the material on hand was expended. I would suggest reading The US Army in the West 1870-1880 by Douglas McChristian or Army Blue by John P. Langellier. Of course your uniform will be like anything else; a question of your finances versus the availabllity of qood quality reproductions and your desire to do a quality persona. If you attend the Dept. of Missouri or Grand Musternext year I can show you most of the items you are wondering about.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
Another good supplier is

www.quartermastershop.com   

Pricey, but high quality.  Mostly though, I like their site, because it shows all the uniforms, how they look in relation to each other.

Another nod for John P. Langellier.  Great reference material.  You can find a lot of his and other books on ebay.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
One other thing to be considered is whether you are portraying a garrison troop or one in the field.  Troops, including officers wore about anything they had available for operations in the field. That included elements of civilian clothing, including hats, coats, trowsers (sic for spelling).  According to Lt. John Bourke, Gen. Crook's aide-de-camp, on the Big Horn & Yellowston Expedition of 1876, "We looked more like a pack of brigands than a military organization."  Everybody saved their "good" uniforms for garrison duty.  Gen. Crook didn't even wear a uniform. He had a canvas hunting suit and a pith helmet...no insignia at all. There are photos of Third Cavalry officers and men, wearing 1872 jackets, Civil War sack coats, buckskin jackets.  Headgear included kepis, bummer's caps, civilian straw hats purchased at a sutller's store. 

Even holsters, belts, etc., were not necessarily issued regulation gear! A lot of CW gear including Pattern 1863 full flap holsters continued to be used until the 1881 Patterns began to be issued, and maybe after that.  Some of those had the flaps cut to a rounded 3/4 style. A bunch of 1872 Pattern holsters were issued with a Hoffman swivel, which proved very problematic, dumping pistols with the holsters on the ground! Company commanders had their saddlers modify them. Some company commanders in the Southwest even designed their own open-top holsters and issued them to their troops.

In other words, you just need enough to identify yourself as a trooper or officer to "citizens" (as civilians were called in those days). 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:00:35 PM »
What I am understanding from all this is I am not too far off and can continue with my current kit until I aquire better gear.

I will make the black hat my first purchase.

If the 4 button coat was still in use would chevrons be added? I'm sure the yellow piping at the collar and cuffs would not have been added but chevrons seem like something that were added by the troopers themselves as they advanced in rank.

I think a 1874 5 button coat will be next.

I have to tailor the trousers because they are too baggy to wear with the cavalry boots. While I am tailoring them I may add rank stripes.

Is there any reason (etiquite) I cannot portray a sergeant? I was thinking of a sadalry sergent since I am a bootmaker and leatherworker in real life. Not as a career , just as a sideline.  I plan on making some cavalry boots and other items available in the future.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »
You can portray any rank you like, no need to start off as a private in GAF. I've been a private so far....maybe I'll spend a few bucks and "promote" myself before next year.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 10:52:28 PM »
put on enough stripes too look like a zebra if you like.
Rank above elbow
Service stripes on forearm
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:08:02 AM »
If the 4 button coat was still in use would chevrons be added?
By Regulation or by practice?
Post CW Regulation didn't allow chevrons on the blouse until March 20 1876, but it was done cmmonly anyway. And no, they didn't add piping to a 4-button sack coat that I'm aware of.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 06:10:43 AM »
"Is there any reason (etiquite) I cannot portray a sergeant? I was thinking of a sadalry sergent since I am a bootmaker and leatherworker in real life. Not as a career , just as a sideline.  I plan on making some cavalry boots and other items available in the future."

No problem there.  I was a Lieutenant in real life, but I portray a Captain now because I'm just TOO OLD to be a Lieutenant anymore!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:35:10 AM »
Was a captain portray a captain, back in the day there were plenty of antique captains so have not promoted myself.  Were I to would have to have the plexiglas installed
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:18:12 PM »
I figured a senior NCO like a Sergeant would be good since I am to old to portray a convincing private.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »
Not true...

During the Indian Wars, promotions were few and far between in the old 'Indian Fighting Army'.

It wasn't uncommon to see 30-year Privates at all, and rank often came about when senior men retired or died.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
Not true...

During the Indian Wars, promotions were few and far between in the old 'Indian Fighting Army'.

It wasn't uncommon to see 30-year Privates at all, and rank often came about when senior men retired or died.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

How about nearly 50 year old privates!
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
As I said - common for the time.

A number of men 'found a home' in the Army and didn't require much beyond food, clothing and shelter, and with regular duties to be performed, they were effectively institutionalized.

Until the Army adopted the 'up or out' policy regarding promotion in the 1970's, 'career Corporals' were still around after Vietnam, until the whole military shrank its numbers.

There's always a place for a guy who is happy doing the less-heroic stuff, so they'd do basic maintenance and clean-up as well as help where needed, and in any large organization, that's appreciated.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »

Here are me and Old Top shooting the military/victorian SheBang match last year at 5Dogs. As by his Alias you can tell he is a sarge. (really waz for about 30 years, but a different uniform.

show us pix as you pull stuff together.

also here is Top with his blouse:

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
Here is another pic of my makeshift uniform.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
As far as hats goes, I think that was as much an individual thing as any other part of the uniform, at least while in the field.  The ones in your picture would probably work fine .  I just took a 20 yr old Baily that originaly had a "modern" shape and reformed it into a shape that looked more historic and added hat cords and thats it.  It's light grey in color with some honest age to it.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com