Poll

Do you spend time shooting groups?  How often?

Never.
0 (0%)
Only when I have a new gun.
1 (14.3%)
Periodically.
3 (42.9%)
Once a month.
0 (0%)
More than once a month.
1 (14.3%)
It's a regular part of my practice schedule.
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 01, 2004, 08:55:35 PM

Author Topic: Shooting Groups  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shooting Groups
« on: August 22, 2004, 08:55:35 PM »
I think this is self explanitory.

I shoot groups regularly as part of my practice schedule.  If you can't shoot tight groups, then you'll never be able to shoot fast accurately. 

I shoot groups at 20 yards on paper.  I practice this so that my worst groups get better.  Not to improve my best groups.  This is actually a good goal for practice too.  To improve your worst runs.  As you improve your worst runs, your best runs will get better and you won't "crash and burn" as often on stages.

Doc

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Shooting Groups
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 09:02:20 PM »
I'm a former bullseye shooter and shooting good groups is what I do.  I'll never be fast enough to win against a 2 handed shooter but I can shoot better roups than most.  I wish more clubs would have a bullseye type side match during their large annual shoots.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 12:06:33 AM »
I used to shoot groups a lot, but that was 7 or 8 years ago. I moved from Arizona to Kansas, was in school and working full time so I didn't do any shooting to speak of until I moved to California and started shooting CAS.

Now I shoot only twice a month and that is only at the CAS range. I just haven't made time to go to a more target oriented range to do group shooting but I know I should.

I've (I think) located (on the Internet) a range called the West End Gun Club that is not too far away from me but I haven't been there yet. I do a little practice prior to the matches and I've done load testing group shooting to make sure that my loads are hitting point of aim.

Good advice! Thanks!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:57:47 AM »

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 12:25:25 AM »
Where in CA are you?  I'm up near Sacramento.

Doc

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 12:53:05 AM »
I'm down in Southern California near San Bernardino. I shoot with the Cajon Cowboys. I actually saw you at EOT this year but you were busy so I didn't bother you.

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 12:57:25 AM »
The only thing I group is my shotgun.  My other firearms are set up for accuracy.  My goal is 100% on a 6" plate at 50 yards.  The only interesting firearms are accurate ones.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 01:04:07 AM »
Prof, I'll be gettin close to you for a match in October.  The first monthly Western 3 Gun match will be at Piru the 2nd Sunday in October (10th I think).  I'm planning on heading on down for it.

Doc

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 01:13:21 AM »
I was intrigued by W3G when I first heard about it. I really considered driving over to watch the match but work and other issues got in the way. I heard about a monthly match but had forgotten about it.

I may have to think about driving over to check it out. While I'm not a top shooter by any means I think I would enjoy the additional challenge (including the accuracy component) of the format.  If I get over there I'll introduce myself properly to you.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 01:23:25 AM »
That would be great!

You don't have to be a "top shooter" (whatever that is) to participate.  W3G is just another shooting game that happens to use cowboy guns.  It's a little more like IPSC than SASS matches are.   I don't think you can really compare them, the differences are too great.  It is a lot of fun though!

There were a bunch of folks out at the recent match that weren't among the top.  Just folks out having fun shootin.

Doc

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 01:37:19 AM »
I shouldn't perpetuate the myth that W3G is for top shooters only. The format does seem to be for more proficient shooters though given the additional movement components. I also like to lower expectations!

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 01:55:29 AM »
It's not for the casual shooter.  That's true.  However, it is a ton of fun!  You do need some reasonable gun handling skills, but many have those.

Doc

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 10:21:29 AM »
Doc, you have made an excellent point on this thread. I can't tell you how many times I have had a shooter ask me to check their gun because it is not hitting targets, a lot of time there is shooter error. But a lot of times they have never put the gun on paper and have no idea where it is hitting, plus they are buying factory ammo and keep changing manufacturers because of availability or price. A gun has to be put on paper and grouped periodically and anytime loads are changed.
Plus as you said, shooting small groups at speed on paper at 20 yards, equates to hits on steel at closer ranges.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 10:39:28 AM »
Klondike, if you don't know where your guns shoot, then there is no way to develop any confidence in them.  Without confidence in your equipment, you can't get good at any shooting game.

Doc

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 05:29:19 PM »
Doc,
next time you are at a monthly shoot, or even at a major, look around. It is a mazing how many untouched sights you will see.
I know several potentially  good shooters that have never printed their pistols, I just don't understand why not! If a shooter can't go to a range and use paper, use a steel one and use fresh paint, paint a small circle and zero them in. Many times I have gone to the CAS range with cans of spray paint just to check out sights. (we don't have stands or anything that will work well  for paper targets)
I have offered on several occasions (when we are home) if people would come to work day and work, bring their loads and pistols and I would set the sights free of charge for them (obviously a ploy to get workers) very few takers. I don't know if they don't want to work or don't care where their guns shoot. ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com