Author Topic: follow up - heavycrust in a barrel, lesson learned  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: follow up - heavycrust in a barrel, lesson learned
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 03:35:08 PM »
Oh sure it's fun!  In my web article on loading BP and subs, I say "Subs are fun.  BP is funner."   ;D  IMO, of course.

I actually have 100 rounds of .38 loaded with APP that I expect to shoot in the rifle at a 2-day match next week, as I'm not going to have time to load up any BP. 

Almost none of the smokeless shooters will know the difference, unless a BP shooter comes up right after an APP shooter.  And many wouldn't even notice then.  But I'm not most.   :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 05:20:45 PM »
 :)  Nanny Nanny Poo Poo   ;)

Makin Smoke is FUN . . . . No matter how ya do it  ;D

PS:  Sadly, in my neck of the woods there aren't enough CAS shooters left to make a bulk BP buy economic.

PSS:  Hadda fix this post TWICE!!  I ever mention I hate "Otto Correct??"

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
Well now Pilgrim....let's stretch it out to 500 to 1,000 yards!  ::)

Subs are made with some type of organic acid (such as ascorbic acid).  Much more corrosive than real black if not cleaned promptly.

I can clean any rifle with 3 or 4 patches and one pull of a bore snake.  Real simple.

Granted, you realistically need to cast bullets if you shoot much volume, but i enjoy it so I don't consider it a hardship.  Gives me an excuse to get out of the house and into the man cave :o :o

And let's not forget the fun of the smoke and boom and choking posse members.  And you can fog the south Texas mosquitoes off the stage for your pards! ;D

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:52:01 AM »

Online Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2020, 08:22:42 AM »

After unloading 120-125 bullets with blue lube. Boiling out the blue lube then relubing with SPG. Then doing a run of 30 shots simulating a 6 round match at the local NCOWS shoot. Pistol was no dirtier than your typical C&B revolver. So, no more smokeless lubed bullets, lol. Can pretty much shoot anything I can get my hands on if I'm willing to put in the work. Just for sh!+$ and grins, does anyone know about the green lube that I've seen on some bullets?
I am currently loading some .45 Colts with bullets with that green lube. I have shot a few, and they seemed to work just fine, but that was with Unique powder. Not black powder. For bullets that I cast myself, I like the SPG lube, and it works just fine with smokeless powder.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »
I am currently loading some .45 Colts with bullets with that green lube. I have shot a few, and they seemed to work just fine, but that was with Unique powder. Not black powder. For bullets that I cast myself, I like the SPG lube, and it works just fine with smokeless powder.

....my running buddy has loaded a bunch of the green lubed bullets with BP. So far they shoot fine, no excessive cleaning issues. We are kicking around a winter shoot with our Ncows group in Feb. I may try a few of them then.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Online Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
....my running buddy has loaded a bunch of the green lubed bullets with BP. So far they shoot fine, no excessive cleaning issues. We are kicking around a winter shoot with our Ncows group in Feb. I may try a few of them then.

Thank you. That is good to know. I really want to get into the black powder shooting. I've got GOEX 2f and 3f, but I am not comfortable experimenting with it based on the primer shortage. I am not out of primers, but dangerously low.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 09:04:15 AM »
Thank you. That is good to know. I really want to get into the black powder shooting. I've got GOEX 2f and 3f, but I am not comfortable experimenting with it based on the primer shortage. I am not out of primers, but dangerously low.

....that's my buddies concern. Finding primers?
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com