Author Topic: 45-60 reloading questions  (Read 11171 times)

Offline Llano County

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45-60 reloading questions
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:11:30 PM »
I got my beautiful new Uberti 1876 today, now I need to reload some rounds. I have the Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversion and plan on making the 45-60 rounds out of cut-down 45-70 brass. I bought a set of LEE 45-60 dies and a Forster Original Case Trimmer kit from Cabelas so I could cut the brass close to length and then run the case in the trimmer. WRONG! The Forster trimmer cant handle the 45-70 rim diameter. After throwing out a few expletives, I decided that I could use it for the other calibres that I reload.
What I would like to know is.......
  • 1.  How do you all reload ammo for your rifles?
    2.  What kind of case trimmer do you use?
    3.  Do you reduce the rim thickness of the 45-70 brass from 0.07 inches to 0.062 for the 45-60? The Winchester 45-70 brass actually measures 0.067 inches on my samples. I don't know if the headspace tolerance on the Uberti is very tight or not.
    4.  I will probably stick with the 4198 powder since there is data out there for it but I would like to use Trail Boss. I'll load up some blackpowder cartridges too so as not to offend some of the purists that I shoot with.
Thanks
Llano County
Indian Terr. (Oklahoma)
NCOWS No. 1480

Offline ART C GUNN

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 45-60 reloading questions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:25:46 AM »
I had to thin the rims on my 45-70 brass for my uberti rifle. My friend with the same rifle did not have to. My bolt would not close with the rim thickness so I trimmed it down on a lathe while I was teaching a class in Trinidad Colorado. Just the differences in rifle headspacing. Mine was very tight and i needed to duplicate factory dimensions. His was just a tad looser.
To shorten the length of the brass. I sanded them down on a belt sander and the finished the job to exact size with a power case trimmer

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:18:04 AM »
I ran into the same issue when I first tried to shorten my 45-60 cases; my Forster was too small.  After studying the problem a while, I got out the Dremel and opened up the hole to the collet a bit and it worked just fine.  Now, having said THAT, I discovered soon afterwards that while it worked fine with 45-60 brass, my 50-70 and 56-50 brass wouldn't fit it.  My answer to that was to buy the Lyman case trimmer that uses the Lyman or RCBS shell holders in lieu of a collet.  Now THAT is a slick piece of work!
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:03:29 PM »

Offline Outlander

• Citizen
    • Holiday-Room
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »
1.  How do you all reload ammo for your rifles?
2.  What kind of case trimmer do you use?
3.  Do you reduce the rim thickness of the 45-70 brass from 0.07 inches to 0.062 for the 45-60? The Winchester 45-70 brass actually measures 0.067 inches on my samples. I don't know if the headspace tolerance on the Uberti is very tight or not.
4.  I will probably stick with the 4198 powder since there is data out there for it but I would like to use Trail Boss. I'll load up some blackpowder cartridges too so as not to offend some of the purists that I shoot with.Thanks

I had "Star Line" in .45-70, which are reduced to 4mm with a tube cutting. Then to the right degree with the RCBS trimmer.
The rim thickness is OK 0065 "for my Chaparral.
I also search for data, "Trail Boss" was 14.0 grs and 330grs Bullet shot, hardly pressure, like an air gun.

If you have data, I would look over an info from you.

Greetings from Germany Outlander

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
My Uberti 45-60 works well with the shortened 45-70 brass, and requires no rim thinning.  I rough-cut the brass with a dremel tool and then fiinish it to length (1.89) with a Lyman case trimer.  I use bullet #457191 which is available from Bufffalo Arms, and it very close to the original bullet used in the factory load.  The bullet must be crimped above the crimp grove in order to get the proper length for the action (2.25).  This is was also true of the factory loading.  I use a Lee Factory Crimp die when loading this caliber with smokeless.  I use C&H 45-60 dies.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »
I guess that I may be real lucky because I have the Jamison brass . and all I have to do is load it and shoot it . I use a 300 gr. rnfp bullet and it shoots great .

Offline Llano County

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »
Thanks everyone, Danke Outlander. Your advice is very helpful.
I went by Lowe's and bought a tubing cutter and rough cut the brass so I can trim it to length when I purchase a new case trimmer. I looked in an RCBS catalog today. I like the quick release lever on it but I will look at Lyman and some others (and verify that it will trim 45-70 brass) before I shell out another 65 bucks or more. I chambered one of the rough cut cases and the bolt will fully engage and the lever will fully close so I was fortunate in that regard. There are two businesses that sell reloading equipment inTulsa. One is expensive and the other is real expensive. The business where I purchased my rifle has a limited amount of reloading equipment but can order just about everything. I bought some IMR 4198 powder from them. I can't wait to crack open a beer, light up a fine cigar and start reloading.  :D I will probably make a pilgrimage to Cabelas in Kansas City when I am there for the NCOWS convention next month and stock up on stuff.

The wall thickness of the Winchester 45-70 brass seems awfully flimsey to me. I don't think I will get many reloads per case out of them. Have any of you compared brass? I have reloded PMC and Starline brass 20+ times without failure in my 45 Colt pistols and rifles. Thanks again.
Llano County
Indian Terr. (Oklahoma)
NCOWS No. 1480

Offline Outlander

• Citizen
    • Holiday-Room
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
before I shell out another 65 bucks or more.......................

Your lucky people,
If I hear the prices, I could cry.

For example:
RCBS trim Pro € 89.90 to $ 132.16
1 cartridge € .45-60 1.60 to $ 2.36
1 cartridge .45-110 Star Line 3 € to $ 4.41
And so does the fun.

Before I bought 16 years bullets, and at the best distributors driven am (1000km out & back for germany is very much) has always said that the prices are so high, because the dollar is so high.  ::)

Now we have the euro, and everything is more expensive.  ???
I therefore order in the USA
I envy you

outlander

Offline Llano County

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »
Outlander,
I hate to see a man cry. I said the same thing in 1978 when I bought a Hohner Chromonika III harmonica in Langenaubach, Germany for 50 DM ($25 US). They cost $100 in the US at the time. I still play it. The only thing adopting the Euro currency has done is aid the countries with the poorer economies on the backs of those with the successful economies. Just my opinion of which I have many.
.....But I digress from the topic at hand. Hopefully the 1876 rifles will be a success so someone like Hornady will start producing affordable ammo and Starline and others will offer the 45-60 brass so I don't have to shell out the bucks for a trimmer and it all happens in the next few days.  :D

Llano
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!
Llano County
Indian Terr. (Oklahoma)
NCOWS No. 1480

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »
Howdy Folks
While at the NRA Convention last year I talked to the Haydens of Starline brass and it is on the drawing board. So if I was needing brass for my 76 I would start calling and begging for brass, if there is lots of request that will help speed things up .

Offline Outlander

• Citizen
    • Holiday-Room
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 04:02:31 AM »
Howdy Folks
While at the NRA Convention last year I talked to the Haydens of Starline brass and it is on the drawing board. So if I was needing brass for my 76 I would start calling and begging for brass, if there is lots of request that will help speed things up .
Hy Rowdy,
The .45-60 is already built in italy. The sleeve costs here in germany € 1.60

Best Regards, Outlander

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 10:32:39 AM »
Hy Rowdy,
The .45-60 is already built in italy. The sleeve costs here in germany € 1.60

Best Regards, Outlander

Thanks for the pic, Outlander. :)   Nice headstamp, too!  WRA CA  instead of WRA CO.  Clever, indeed!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com