Author Topic: German Krag?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
German Krag?
« on: June 01, 2019, 02:24:58 PM »
I was watching a rerun of Hogan's Hero's last night.  I swear Schultz was caring a Krag.   ;D
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: German Krag?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 02:35:06 PM »
Yep. Try to find a Mauser rifle on Hogan's Heroes.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 03:32:28 PM »
yup, a krag.

whilst it is claimed elsewhere since approx 30,000 Danish Krag-Jorgensens ( the issue rifle there) were taken from Daneland Denmark by German forces and were shipped into Germany, it has been suggested that ther is a remote possibility that 3rd tier guards might get one.

However,  the actual constant screw-ups by the prop guys on Hogans heros suggest otherwise. Not to mention ammunition logistical nightmares. Oh, and actual history.

For example, early on the Germans were seen armed with painted replica Thompson M1928's , and when they finally got some MP40's many were plastic mockups that
looked "ok" from 20 feet. And browning machine guns were regularly used in towers and on vehicles. And 1903 Springfields were used to fill out the Stalag Armory rifle rack.

In 1965 it was "just a TV show" and nobody cared.
Just like all the Cowboy Movies where they were carrying Winchester 1892's thru-out 1870 and 1880 periods.

thanks for playing!

prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:09:46 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »

Professor Marvel ... :)

Watch Mean Willis ......... The Duke was seen carrying a '92 in his movies set just post 1865.  Very versatile rifle that!!  Even used to imitate a Henry many many many many times.

Restricting the '92 to the time frame(s) of 1870 - 1880 just isn't fair to a rifle obviously seen from 1865 onwards to impart restrictions based on Facts.  "Alternative Facts" more bedder!!

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 10:10:51 PM »
The reason for Schultz (John Banner) carrying a Krag is because he was Jewish and only agreed to do the part as long as he didn't have to carry any nazi weapons, I saw this recently in an old interview with the remaining members of the cast.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:09:06 AM »
I have heard the story why John Banner carried a Krag rifle and not a K98 while starring on Hogan's Heros many times. Mr Banner during his acting career portrayed German military types in several movies. In these movies he was armed with the correct weapons, in fact in the movie 36 Hours  Banner is armed with a K98. Near the end Banner uses the K98 to shoot a man.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 08:07:33 AM »
Hey, the 1892 actually came out one early 1840's as well as SAA. Watch Comancheros with Duke and Stewart Whitman, it's set in the nine year period after Texas won it's independence and when it became a state, 1836-1845.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 03:38:36 PM »
I just can't  believe you'd refer to Sergeant Schultz, a guard from a Luftwaffe Prisoner of war camp crom which no POW escaped, a THIRD TIER guard.  You should be ashamed.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
I see nothing . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 07:34:04 AM »
Off topic, somewhat, but does concern "Krags in film/TV":

In the John Wayne movie "McClintock!", a scene late in the film shows a crate of Krag carbines being dumped on the ground (ouch!) out of a boxcar (thanks, Bunny!).  Several times throughout the film it is mentioned their Territory will "soon become a State", and I have always wondered what State the town of McClintock was in, and the time frame.  The movie was filmes outside Tucson.  Army is shown still wearing blue uniforms (I know, it's Hollywood), so I'm thinking 1890's-1900 Oklahoma.  Wyoming and Idaho became States in 1890... too early for Krags.  SW Oklahoma and New Mexico were both part of the Comanches' range, and Oklahoma became a State in 1907, but  New Mexico not until 1912... McClintock warns new sodbusters of the dangers of ranching on the "Mesa Verde", which sounds like NM...There is mention of sending the "renegade Comanches" to Fort Sill, but never specify if that is in a different Territory.

I also notice that the "Swede" gunsmith from "El Dorado" becomes a Cavalry Sergeant in this film, and later turns up at a picnic in Seattle in "North to Alaska".
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com