Author Topic: Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt?  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt?
« on: November 04, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »

I've been swaging 200gr HG68 .45 caliber LSWCs into an outside-lubed heel-base bullet for loading in .44 Colt, but I am interested in maybe making my life easier by using hollow-based .44 bullets. I haven't found any commercially available; perhaps I am not looking in the right place?  I can always come up with a set-up to swage my own, but I'd really like to know if any of you have tried this, and how well it worked before I go to all that trouble.

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »
OK, since there were no responses to this thread I tried it. I made a swage-block and a male punch to produce the hollow base. I had some random 225gr. wadcutters around and tried it out. Pretty quickly I was producing credible HBWCs. Since punching the hollowbase elongated the bullets I decided to seat them partially outside the case like a conventional bullet.

The picture shows the basic tools- the swaging block, the male punch and the punch I use to drive the swaged bullets out of the block.

Naturally there is no load data for these, so after some research and more math than I really like to do I settled on 5.0gr. of Unique as a starting load. I loaded a box of ammo and headed to the range. Overall it worked- a couple of bullets were yawing when the hit the target at seven yards and one full-on keyholed, but the rest flew straight and hit true.  The 5.0gr load actually may be too light; I plan to bump it up a little and see if I can't get better skirt expansion. Accuracy was quite adequate when I did my part.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »
These guys make a couple hollow base .44's.  Don't know if you still need any since you figured out a solution.
https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:04:48 AM »

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:22:25 PM »
Thanks Abilene!

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:25:11 PM »
Well I used my swaging dies and press to make a conical hollow based .45 bullets for .45 Colt revolvers.
 I did use 230 grain RN and a 255 grain SWC that also got swaged into a conical hollow based bullet.  both bullets worked well and increased accuracy in all guns tested.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com