Author Topic: Russian Persona  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Russian Persona
« on: February 23, 2023, 08:17:50 PM »
A few years back I was able to pick up Russian surplus rifles (91/30) and a nagant pistol.  I thought it might be nice to build this persona, but feel a little bad given the global climate right now.

I imagine there are similar reference materials as for the American military.

Has anyone created similar personal?

Am I "safe" in that a Mosin nagant, and a nagant revolver qualify?

Uniforms are going to be a little tougher to aquire...looking for something like the attached photos.
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Russian Persona
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 08:43:01 PM »
Drydock will probably chime in here.  His son used a Russian persona several years ago.  As with most personas, you can be as accurate and detailed as you want to get.  I know the Osprey book on the Boxer Rebellion has a bit of information on the Russian contingent.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 09:46:30 PM »
I see no reason not to wear a uniform of the Czar's Armies.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:37:31 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 09:09:49 AM »
Memory fault: who was it won the grand muster a few years back with a magnificent Czarist officer outfit?  And yes any Hex reciever Mosin and 1895 Nagant are allowed.  And I know you have a 3rd model Russian.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 09:22:00 AM »
Wasn't it Blue eyed cabelero out of Texas?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 09:27:06 AM »
Yes, Blue Eyed Cabellero has done a wonderful Russian impression a couple of times.

I've been encouraging my son to do a Ukrainian Cossack (the Cossacks were Ukrainian, not Russian as we tend to think here in the States) impression using a Mosin.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 09:57:36 AM »
That would be cool.   Yes, Don Cossaks are Ukrainian.   Big fan of Stenka Razin, a Cossak river Pirate turned rebellion leader.   

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 10:03:47 AM »
Howdy Snake Oil,

Given the political climate, you might want to claim you are a recent deserter. Any way, if you bring vodka and caviar to the potluck I'm sure you'll be welcomed.

Rev. Chase

ps: I don't know anything about military reenactment. So take the above for what it's worth.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 10:15:05 AM »
Well, politically at times, we got along with Tsarist Russia.   There was a lot of offered support from the Tsar to Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.   Problem was Tsarist Russia usually was not well supplied militarily, the nobles yeah, but the grunts not so much, so materialistically not a great help but I am sure having the support was a comfort.   Going further back, I would love to recreate a Streltsy, because I love a Bardiche, but am sure I would get in trouble if I had one.   They just call to be swung.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 10:28:35 AM »
....looking at your examples, putting together something akin to that white outfit would be fairly simple. The headgear and accoutrements would be a little more difficult. Myself, I like seeing other than the common portrayals most of us have. There's a couple guys that have done some good research on German uniforms from the Franco Prussian war thru WW1 on youtube. When I was younger, the research was a big part of the fun. The information is out there. Building an impression is dependent on how much energy and treasure you're willing to expend.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 10:38:25 AM »
If you wanted to go Expansion Era, you could do a US troop assigned to AEF-North Russia or AEF-Siberia. 

In my childhood, I knew a guy who had been part of the Polar Bear Expedition.  He stated he had to turn in his Enfield and was issued a M-N, and for a time had a Nagant revolver he picked up somewhere.  He had little good to say about either weapon; he did say the Russians had the best coats and boots.
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 12:57:17 PM »
How about a Cossack? Great hats and uniforms too.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 01:19:10 PM »
I believe Robert won, temporary custody, of the Iron Trooper award. He has since been inducted in to the 'Bobble Head Gang' featuring his award winning Russian Officer uniform. I will search out a pic for future posting.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 07:27:56 PM »
Snake Oil....this is one I've been putting together for a while.  Not that hard really.  Something appropriate to the Russo Japanese war would be easy.

Repro Czarist cartridge pouches are all over ebay.  Basic leather belt and those pouches will work. 

A WW2 M43 Gymnastyorka will work.  WW2 colors, cotton or wool are pretty close to WW1 and earlier.  Proper Imperial Russian buttons are cheap and easy to change.  Summer time Tunics were white but often dyed with tea or coffee during the Russo Japanese war.  WW2 Russian trousers would be incorrect.  The ww1 and earlier trousers were straight legged.  Tunic and trousers did not necessarily match.  May units wore blue trousers or one shade or another or red etc.

Tall black leather boots were a Russian soldiers pride and joy.  They would be mandatory for a good impression. 

The visored cap did not come into service until around 1911 for enlisted troops.  They wore a soft cap much like the German 1907 Feldmutze.  The Soviet/Russian navy still wears one like it.

There are vendors out of Ukraine or the USSR(let's be real, it ain't changed much) for a proper cap and uniform.  Many tunic or trouser repros are available from stateside vendors.  Caps not so much.

The rifle would have to be a hex receiver.  It actually might be cheaper to find an actual M91 instead of the absurdly over priced Hex M91/30's.

There are several good Osprey books on the Czarist army before WW1 although much of hte WW1 stuff will work.

Let me know if you have any questions.
GAF#379

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 10:28:29 PM »
Thank you all for the input and encouragement!!

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2023, 10:33:46 PM »
Now I am mildly curious... the Finnish capture hex receiver Nagant rifles... they are still hex nagants or because of the improvements, do they no longer qualify?

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 03:46:14 AM »
Must be straight stocks.  IE no M39s.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 09:24:36 AM »
There were actually 2 Russians at that Muster, everybody remembers the Colonel in his well tailored outfit, the lowly private not so much... My outfit was done on the cheap. I bought online a sewing pattern for the traditional Russian/Ukrainian tunic, and made it from plain white cotton duck. pants were something from a closeout sale at Wally World, dark green cotton. Hat was a German Navy cap, with the cap badge replaced with an imperial Russian one, and the dark blue band covered in the same white cotton used for the shirt. I had on order an imperial belt buckle and shoulder boards, but they never arrived and I had to get Ebay to get me a refund, that's my excuse for the US belt buckle I was wearing. Rifle was my Finn capture Westinghouse M-91. Pistol-well, when Nagant pistols were dirt cheap, I was snoozing, so I substituted my French 1892, but in the proper holster.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 10:19:37 AM »
Pony Express.....got a picture of that?
GAF#379

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »
Still looking for a photo of Robert in his uniform. A passing note: Robert created his uniform on his sewing machine his own self.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com