Author Topic: Bicycle corps  (Read 1660 times)

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Bicycle corps
« on: July 22, 2022, 09:02:47 PM »
GAF#379

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bicycle corps
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 08:24:27 AM »
....watch Invasion Day April 1940. The invasion of Denmark by Germany in the beginnings of WW2. The  show focuses on the Danes relying on bicycles as their mode of unit transportation.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 09:21:16 AM »
The Norwegian Army also swapped some of its horses for bicycles between World Wars I and II.
Being the Army they naturally couldn't call them simply "bicycle soldiers", so they were bestowed with the title "Hjul-rytter" (literally "wheel-rider")...!

I've read the original instruction manual, and on the subject of losing your balance while cycling in formation it says: "If losing your balance, strive to fall into the ditch on the right hand side of the road, so that you don't obstruct oncoming traffic or your fellow soldiers.  Also alert your fellow soldiers by loudly shouting three times: "I'm falling!, I'm falling!, I'm falling!"   ::)
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:33:58 PM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 10:13:46 PM »
Frederic Remington illustration of cycle infantry …

(This is from an 1895 article in Harper's Weekly, so it is not the magazine article mentioned in the video.)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 05:04:20 AM »
We have a 1942 Wehrmacht Truppenfahrrad  "Troop Bicycle" in the Museum

The M42 Truppenfahrrad was a military bicycle issued to the Wehrmacht during World War II. Special equipment for Wehrmacht use was the steering bar, the saddle, the toolbox and the porter at the back. The headlamp had to work with dynamo and/or battery. On the steering bar were two holders mounted which were holding the half-shelter tent or the drivers trench coat. 

The German Army had numerous units equipped with bicycles. It was used to deliver mail and maintain connections between a general and his troops, among other reasons. The bicycle was also used as a tactical weapon carrying panzerfausts on both sides of the bike. The mid-section could be fitted to hold a M42 machine gun.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline lukevanc

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 11:16:59 AM »
Your post caught my attention – watching Invasion Day in April 1940 sounds like a unique way to explore history. It's interesting how something as simple as bicycles played a role in transportation during such a significant time. Speaking of bikes, I've actually started biking more myself, replacing my car for short trips. It's been a refreshing change and a great way to stay active. By the way, have you heard about cyclist insurance? It's a handy thing to have for added peace of mind on the road. Enjoy watching Invasion Day, and happy pedaling!

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 12:53:37 PM »
How about the 25th's ride across America in 1896. One of my favorite photos shows Buffalo Soldiers posed with their bicycles on the terraces at Mammoth Hot Springs outside of Gardner Montana inside Yellowstone National Park. 
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 01:42:47 PM »
To further illustrate the love affair with the bicycle during this era, in "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court" by Mark Twain, 1889,- at the end of the novel he had the Arthurian knights mounted on bicycles as transportation.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • J Barr Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2023, 12:30:18 PM »
Hard pressed for memory; didn't Danny Kay generate a revolver in the blacksmith shop????
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2023, 01:44:50 PM »
I thought it was Bing Crosby.  Did Danny Kaye do a version of the movie too?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Johnson Barr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • J Barr Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »
Get it. Got it. Good. Maybe it had to do with being a redhead???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com