Author Topic: New Spencer  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
New Spencer
« on: January 13, 2020, 07:06:50 PM »
Against my better judgement, I bought a new Spencer carbine (Cimarron/Chiappa) in 45lc.  My friend had one, same gun from Taylor?s and it would not extract.  He sent it back to both Chiappa and Taylor?s and it never extracted. Taylor?s took it back and he bought a Sharps.  Chiappas are beautiful rifles, fit and finish, but their function/quality control can be sketchy.  I have an 1886 that would bust your knuckles levering it and sent it back twice to Chiappa until they finally fixed it.

My Spencer fired and extracted fine with all 45 lc ammo, but after 25 rounds would not fire, light primer hits.  Called Chiappa and they said send it in.  I asked did I need a return number.  They said no. I sent it in, registered it, then they sent a call tag, $28 too late.  Owners manual says customer responsible for shipping. ????  After a week and a half, they haven?t even looked at it; their only gunsmith is out sick.  Maybe they will get to it next week.  Horrible customer service.  >:(

Hoping for a permanent fix. It was fun firing those first 25 rounds.

Marshall John Joseph

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New Spencer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 03:11:09 PM »
Marshal J.J.,

I tried to post yesterday, but my Internet was down.  Sorry about your problems.  If you had read the SORI Thread on the SSS Home Page you would have discovered other "problems" that were posted about the Armi Sport/Chiappa Spencer. 

Let me know how it goes and if I can be of any help.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 02:37:31 PM »
Thanks for chiming in.  I don't know why these problems are not addressed at the factory or at the distributor level. 

Do you know of any gunsmiths that are Spencer worthy, instead of sending to the Chiappa USA?  I am not very mechanically inclined and don't intend to grind, take apart, and mess with stuff.  General maintenance, cleaning, and such no problem.  But I would hate to make a simple fix a major and expensive chore for a qualified gunsmith.

Marshall John Joseph

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:30:15 AM »

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »
Marshal,

Send me (fsgrand2@fairpoint.net) any information you have regarding your contacts with Chiappa - serial # of your Spencer, dates when you contacted Chiappa and who you spoke to . . . all that good stuff.  Where did you buy your Spencer?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
The Spencer is a Cimarron, purchased through a distributor new.  I have been in touch with Cimarron who is very aware of various problems and have made suggestions to Chiappa regarding fixes for specific problems, which to this point, have gone unheeded.  I discussed the matter with customer service at Chiappa who denied any knowledge of problems with the Spencer.

Cimarron said if I sent the rifle to them in Texas, they would send it to Chiappa anyway.  I will send you the other info you requested via email and will keep you posted of any progress or communication with Chiappa.

I appreciate the interest you have shown in this matter.  One way or the other, there will be a remedy, whether it is through Chiappa or a skilled, knowledgeable gunsmith.  Some of us have to learn the hard way.  Too bad Pedersoli doesn?t offer a Spencer.

MJJ

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »
Marshal,

Read your warranty very carefully.  A similar shooting issue came up before and there was a discussion about the warranty.  A bit dated, but here is the link:  https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,29894.msg398357.html#msg398357

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:16 AM »
Got word today that Chiappa repaired my Spencer and shipped it out.  They replaced a bunch of stuff and such.  Will let you know what they did when I get it back and test fire.

Crossed fingers.

MJJ

PS. They said they get very few Spencer?s back for repair.  Yeah, right.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »
Spencer arrived late today.  Hopefully I will take it out tomorrow to test fire.  Here's what they said they did:

Modified Receiver, side plate, and tumbler.  Tightened main spring.  Tested with Black Hills 250GR RNFP.

Weather permitting, will test fire it tomorrow.   ;D  Fingers Crossed.

MJJ

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »
Mine too ::) ::)

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 06:28:23 PM »
Took the Cimarron/Chiappa Spencer (.45 lc) out for a test today.  Ran Black Hills, Mag Tec, and Winchester ammo and all fed and fired properly.  Light hits gone.  Fun gun to shoot but shoots low.  Did not have time to play with it, since my concern was function. 

How far do you tear this puppy down to clean it?  I saw a video on YouTube but I hate to tear it down that far, unless I have to.

MJJ

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 06:47:10 PM »
You need to pull the block and clean it and it sort of makes it easier to clean from the breech if you have a cleaning rod that will flex.  If using BP, disassemble the block and clean it very well each time.  I also do that with smokeless factory loads several times a year.  Also clean the breech area at the same time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com