Author Topic: Uberti's S&W Model 3 Russian - engineering question  (Read 303 times)

Offline blackpowder

• Very Active Citizen
  • USN Veteran
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Uberti's S&W Model 3 Russian - engineering question
« on: March 08, 2024, 12:10:51 PM »
I have a 2020 issue S&W model 3 Russian by Uberti. I know Uberti reengineered some of the guns mechanics in order to avoid patent violations and also to comply with modern safety standards. Alterations, which, in my opinion do not detract much from the Weapons historical accuracy. However, on my gun, I can rotate the cylinder counterclockwise when the hammer is in the down position. With the hammer completely down, the cylinder should lock up and not move. By lightly wiggling the cylinder back and forth, applying only very light pressure, the wheel unlocks and can be moved. This should not happen. Does anyone have the same issue an/or knows what causes this? In the hammer-down-position the cylinder can be "wiggled" free.

I have no idea what causes this. Can anyone help?  ???

THANKS Pards ! 
"A horse is a horse, it ain't make a difference what color it is" -  John Wayne

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
Re: Uberti's S&W Model 3 Russian - engineering question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 05:15:51 PM »
You've posted this in the "Italian SAA clones" forum.  It would be better in the Frontier Iron forum, or else the Gunsmithing forum.  Nevertheless, somebody who knows might respond here, as a lot of us do look at all the forums.

I am very unfamiliar with S&W lockworks.  So very much guessing, but the locking bolt probably has some sort of spring, and maybe that spring is weak. 

Offline blackpowder

• Very Active Citizen
  • USN Veteran
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 12:19:11 AM »
Thanks, I'll try to transfer this post over to Frontier Iron. I figured if someone is familiar with the italian Uberti clones, they would look here....
"A horse is a horse, it ain't make a difference what color it is" -  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:35:10 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 10:55:22 AM »

:)  Blackpowder  ;)

I didn't see a move to "Frontier Iron" so I'll provide some thought here and see if you "pick up" on this thread.

There are two very real possibilities and or a combination of both.  First possibility is the locking bolt does NOT fit the cylinder slots and or is not rising fully.  Number two is a weak bolt spring.  And of course, a combination of both of the above.  My "knee jerk" guess is the Bolt doesn't fit the Cylinder Slots and is only sitting on the top of the slot.

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 02:16:16 PM »
Howdy BP, again,

Plus one for what Coffinmaker said. A more complete diagnosis.

Rev. Chase

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com