Author Topic: Original 1866 in centerfire  (Read 1211 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Original 1866 in centerfire
« on: August 08, 2020, 07:34:33 PM »
This morning I turned on my iPad and in my email was a IMA ad that was advertising a 1866 carbine in 44 centerfire. It sold pretty fast so my lust for it did not last long— of course the price tag would have killed any intention to purchase it. The ad’s description said they could not tell if it was factory chambered in centerfire or after market conversion. By serial number it was made in 1872. Has a rifle type buttstock so I guess it is actually a short rifle . If it was mine I would not be able to resist shooting it,

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Original 1866 in centerfire
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »

:) Hey There Treebeard  ;)

You and me both.  Were I able to get my hands on an Original Central Fire '66, I'd next be sourcing ammunition for it.  You Betcha.

Unfortunate circumstances, caused Winchester's last run of 1866s (all central fire) to be exported.  Some to the South (S America), Some East (Europe), Some Mid East (Turkey).  None domestically, drat the luck.  Very few if any, have managed to return home.  Have heard talk of having been seen, rumor of having been seen, talk of someone who knows someone whom knows someone who had one.  No empirical evidence of a true repatriated sample example.

Hide and Watch 

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:11:48 PM »
If I was rich, an original centerfire 66 would be at the top of my short list!  I was at a big gunshow in So-Cal and had an opportunity to buy one back in the late 80s, before I started CAS (1994).  It was a carbine and had a box of shells.  $1,100.00 was the asking price.  It was in really good shape, too.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:38:23 AM »

Offline NickD

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
I have a 66 carbine which has a centrefire and rimfire firing pin so I guess the centrefire pin is not Winchester original. I do shoot this in the U.K. making the cases from 38-40WCF shortened and having the web of the case thinned on a lathe to ensure it chambers. Bullet is cast from a mold made by Old West. The bore on the carbine is probably 9/10 which is unusual as many I have seen are very pitted and corroded. The gun is very accurate keeping 10 shots in a tight group shot standing unsupported at 25 yards. Normally I prefer rifles but must admit this little carbine has really grown on me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com