Author Topic: Sow's Ear into a Silk Purse .... Knifewise  (Read 2272 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sow's Ear into a Silk Purse .... Knifewise
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:26:24 AM »
When over several conversations, it became obvious that I would not be able to afford one of Chuck Burrow's wonderful knife and sheath combos, he graciously offered to take a better-than-average Indian (i.e. from India) and try to make it a 'period' piece.

I just got the result, and am estatic.

He took the modern looking handle and and sheath and applied his magic to it, covering the grip with leather and adding a belt to the sheath that has a wonderful compass rose and lightning on its 'belt. He also removed the modern snap and replaced it with latigo through a piece of bone with brass ends to it.

I am attaching the original catalog post of the knife, and the way it looks now ....

Hot damn!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Sow's Ear into a Silk Purse .... Knifewise
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:55:44 AM »
My little camera is so old it does not have any macro settings, so this is the best I can do ... I'll try to do better tomorrow in sunlight....

But the knife and sheath are really superb!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »
You're right about the picture, Wadd.  As a photographer you'd make a fine hod carrier...but I got the gist of what was done.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:15:24 AM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »
This is a new  project ? Just got it ?

Right nice.

MD

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
Forty Rod,

The digital camera and base was given to me ... it is a first generation Casio, great for taking face shots from six feet but lousy at close up detail work. I'll see if I can get someone else to take it with a better camera ....

Marshall,

The project has been going on for some time, but I just got it from Chuck Burrows a couple of days ago. The detail on the the leather grip is really nice, with bone showing through alot of the cutouts. The sheat now looks 1850-ish ....

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com