Author Topic: Arkansas Toothpick  (Read 17145 times)

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Arkansas Toothpick
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »
This here knife they call "The Toothpick" is in my opinion slightly more interesting than the fabled Bowie Knife only because of the legend that maybe it was created by the same guy who made the Bowie Knife.

If the Bowie Knife is the Colt Peacemaker of knives, then the Toothpick could be viewed as the Remington 1875 of big knives.

If anyone has a Toothpick, please post your pictures of them on this thread.
A work in progress.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
Re: Arkansas Toothpick
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »
A little late in responding, but here's mine.  It's a cheapo from Pakistan, but I like it.  I'd love to see some others.

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 12:52:58 AM »
Trinity,

Yours looks real nice!  If you get tired of it let me know. ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:53:18 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:25:45 AM »
The problem with that blade style is that it's a single-purpose blade - usable for one thing, and pretty much one technique - and the points frequently break.

That was a problem with the WWII British 'Commando' knife and the 'fix' for that would eventually be the Gerber Mark II, with the stiffer, stronger blade and heavier point that proved so popular in Vietnam.

(You still couldn't open cans with it or cut saplings for whatever purpose - but at least it didn't leave pieces in folks, and if you were in a combat outfit, you saw a lot of them being carried.)

But that's fine, so long as you have something along that's better-suited towards doing chores and such, and that's where the 'Bowie' style of blade earned its pay, since it could do all of the camp chores, plus - it was a helluva deadly weapon.

These 'big' knives - the Arkansas Toothpicks and the Bowies - all date from the pre-Civil War era of the single-shot pistol, where a little extra 'help' might be necessary after the one shot was fired.

The Civil War, with it's resultant arms production and procurement, would soon equip anyone who so desired with a reliable and powerful revolver - thus lessening the need for a large side knife.

After that happened, the knives became far smaller in size - thus more usable.

Excellent references abound today, and they've been cited on this forum before, but here are a couple:

'The Bowie Knife - Unsheathing an American Legend' - by noted arms historian - Norm Flayderman.

'The Antique Bowie Knife Book' - by Bill Adams. (Out-of-Print - difficult to find - worth the effort)

'Confederate Edged Weapons' - by William A. Albaugh, CSA arms historian.

They're not only informative, but they're interesting as well, and I recommend either buying them or getting them from your Public Library through an Inter-Library Loan.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
Trinity,

Yours looks real nice!  If you get tired of it let me know. ;D ;D

Thanks!  I think I'll be keeping it for a while, but you're first on the list should I ever lose interest. ;D

The problem with that blade style is that it's a single-purpose blade - usable for one thing, and pretty much one technique - and the points frequently break.

Exactly why I carry it in my boot, a bowie on my belt and a folder in my pocket.  :D 8)
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:15:06 PM »
Does anyone know of any period daggers with blades this slender and with such a radical taper? All the period double-edged daggers I've seen from the classic Bowie knife era (1820s-60s) have much wider blades with a shorter point taper, almost like the Roman gladius. I believe most of the modern toothpicks are inspired by the scene in the film "The Iron Mistress" where Bloody Jack Sturdevant draws such a dagger from his boot and it is indeed a superlatively mean-looking knife. The movie was based on Paul I. Wellman's novel, which in turn drew on Raymond Thorpe's book "Bowie Knife," always a questionable source. Made for a great movie knife fight, though.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »
TEK,

Good observation!  I just looked through "The Peacemakers" and only 1 small dagger has a straight taper blade.  The rest are "spear" pointed.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
Period slim daggers aka poniards - just a few from my collection of pics.....

circa 1790-1840

circa 1820-40

circa 1830-1860

circa 1840-60 while similar they are two different knives......

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:22 PM »
as for the Arkansas Toothpick being a poniard style only - well once again we pretty much have Raymond Thorpe in the mid-1900's to thank for that particular designation. Based on actual historical documentation, during the "period" there was no unique style called the Toothpick, but was just another moniker applied to big fighting knives of the day by the media of the day.........

Here's just a couple of English made Toothpicks...a Bowie by any other name is still............(FWIW - the English, in particular the Sheffield makers made the vast majority of Bowies, Toothpicks, et al from abouth 1830-1900

aka Nolan Sackett

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »
CB,
Those last two definitely have the Thorpe Toothpick look. The last one in particular. It looks like it could be a cut-down sword. It would be nice to have some provenance on them. In Mexico "Espadas de Ancha," (short swords) were in vogue from the 17th through 19th centuries, and they were often cut down from longer, obsolete swords.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »
Nolan (Chuck), I still remember readin' about that Kin of yourn who carried a toothpick.  I don't remember her name, but it was early on in the Sacketts series. :D

Offline Matt Bastardson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
8 3/4" blade
13 7/8" overall

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »
Nolan (Chuck), I still remember readin' about that Kin of yourn who carried a toothpick.  I don't remember her name, but it was early on in the Sacketts series. :D
That would be Echo.....one mighty fine gal!
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 12:37:25 AM »

Interesting you should mention the Sacketts! I was just watching the dvd today when I noticed Sam Elliott using a Toothpick to shave off the mustache of a man who was following him.
A work in progress.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »
Cool blade, jc!

That would be Echo.....one mighty fine gal!

That's her!  Yes, she was no nonsense.  Not many of you are, huh? :D

Interesting you should mention the Sacketts! I was just watching the dvd today when I noticed Sam Elliott using a Toothpick to shave off the mustache of a man who was following him.

I'll have to watch that again.  Might have to harvest a screenshot to put up here.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »
This is the purtiest one you will ever see..Perfect size and narly.Moose antler grip,etched damascuss and real pointy like.Made by Ned Buckshot of course..Hangs right above my monitor,so's i can admire it..

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
GCR,

That's a real beauty!  Now I gotta go clean the drool of my shirt. :o ::) ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 06:19:20 AM »
Dang Rick!!! That is one good lookin' knife ya got there. :P

If it were mine I'd have some engraving done on the hilt cap. Maybe initials or just a fancy scroll.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
 Naah i like "er'' just as she be.. ;)

Antler stuff dryin out and airing out,gonna put it all in a big box when i ship it.Sending a small package today..Leavin right now-------

Man i gotta get a spell checker,my eyes are goin fast.Samll package on the way..It's fer your gal,they get to have fun too ya know..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »
I just bought this little feller offa a friend who cobbled the knife and sheath together.  It's a littlun with the blade at 8"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com