Author Topic: My 56-56 Spencer carbine  (Read 3276 times)

Offline FinnO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My 56-56 Spencer carbine
« on: September 02, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
Serial number #39259. The bore has 6 land and grooves. I am unsure on the condition, since I have never seen a mint spencer bore :). I use a buffalo arms 56-56 spencer mould, the .539-375 grain heeled. For brass I cut down starline 50-70, and around 35 grain of Swizz no 4 1 1/2 FG with a granulation of 0.850-1.200 mm.

I live in Norway, and english is not my native language, so please pardon any spelling mistakes  ;D

Offline FinnO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: My 56-56 Spencer carbine
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »
Here is a picture of my spencer. The brass gizmo on the front sight is my attempt on finding out, how tall I need to make my front sight, so I dont have to aim under my target :). I will try and get a better picture in daylight tomorrow :)

Offline FinnO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »
And here is a cartridge, with the cut down 50-70 brass and the buffalo bullet. I have no idea if this spencer was used in the civil war, but I know that it was bought somewhere in the US, so it is has not been exported to France or any other European country after the civil war.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:43:52 AM »

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
FinnO,

Please a better, CLOSE UP photo of your brass gizmo on the front sight and explain how it is supposed to work for you . . .

Your Spencer Carbine, serial #39259 - same # should appear under the forearm on the underside of the barrel - serial #s should be the same as on top of the receiver . . .

Your Spencer may have been issued to Company L, 2nd New York Volunteer Cavalry in March, 1865.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline FinnO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
Two Flints, the brass gizmo is just a piece of thin brass sheet rolled around the barrel and held in place by a hose clamp. Since I have to aim real low to hit a target I can use the brass front sight to adjust, and then just cut it down bit by bit with a brass cutting scissor. I find this much easier than just soldering a front sight on and then adjusting it. Now I can get it accurate and then use soldering when I know what height the front sight should be.

At the moment it is too high, since I need to use the 300 yard flip up sight to hit the x at 50 meters (54.6 yards).

Offline ShootingSean

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »
Smart :-)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
Most of the rifles/carbines of the U.S. Civil War and Indian Wars were sighted for ranges from 250 to 352 yards (227m ~ 320m ???). At the closer ranges we usually have available, the guns will invariably shoot high with the lowest setting of the rear sight. So you solution is an excellent one.  :)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com