Author Topic: Corossion on black powder fired brass  (Read 2963 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Corossion on black powder fired brass
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2021, 03:57:59 AM »
I shot last sunday, cleaned the rifle when I got home, left the empty brass in with the loaded stuff in one of those green plastic carry boxes till I remembered it wednesday, deprimed and dropped it in a small bottle of water and gave it a shake, mrs asked me to do something for her before she left for work, bottle got left on top of my car in the garage, remembered this morning (saturday), now where the heck did I leave that bottle, found him this afternoon, yuk! shells were black and orrible looking - couple rinses, 19 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner in some citric acid solution. rinsed a couple times, they gone pink, bit of a rub with some steel wool they good as new -- thing I like most about the ultrasonic they come out spotless clean inside and the primer pockets too - usually a bit dull outside but dont take much to shine em. This was just twenty 45/75 shells - so the steel wool by hand was easiest to polish em (dont usually bother with shiny but these were pink)           

Offline David Battersby

• Very Active Citizen
  • Smokeless powder is a passing fad .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2021, 08:18:54 AM »
I shoot lever action silhouette, and in the course of a year I shoot A LOT of 44WCF black powder.   Any cases that have been forgotten after shooting will start to get a little white and fuzzy on the inside. I do mean start to get a little white and fuzzy. I have never had green on the inside or outside of any fired brass using black powder.
John Moses Browning and Teddy Roosevelt, we need you again !
In the days of old when men were bold and a quarter was still worth a dime.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »
.....in cleaning BP cartridge brass. I usually take a jug of water to the range, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't get to the brass for a couple days or so. When I do, I have a dedicated deprimer die, after that I run the brass through three full cycles in my  (Harbor Freight) ultrasonic cleaner. Use a pinch of Lemishine and Dawn dishwasher liquid. Then wash in cold water. Let dry a bit then off to the tumbler. I use coarse corn cob (50lb bag from the farm store) with a pinch of NuFinish car wax. Looking at the shells of the OP.....I've had some ugly brass but shooting real black, never had anything look like that. That residue just screams Pyrodex to me.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:44:58 AM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2021, 07:16:04 PM »
I shoot lever action silhouette, and in the course of a year I shoot A LOT of 44WCF black powder.   Any cases that have been forgotten after shooting will start to get a little white and fuzzy on the inside. I do mean start to get a little white and fuzzy. I have never had green on the inside or outside of any fired brass using black powder.

Leave em long enough they will go green

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2021, 06:58:26 PM »
Green corrosion or "slightly fuzzy" depends on the climate they are in.  In the humid area I live they quickly get green copper corrosion products.  However, it's all minor surface corrosion, just looks bad.  Toss them in a wet tumbler and look good as new.  Stop overthinking it............
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com