Author Topic: Dissecting and reloading an original .56-50 cartridge  (Read 2458 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Dissecting and reloading an original .56-50 cartridge
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 03:37:50 PM »
I got to the range today to test the reloaded 1864-1865 vintage  C.D. Leet .56-50 cartridge. Here is a short video of the fun:

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »
Thanks, Steve:
A big treat, as always. 
Interesting 990 velocity from your carbine. 
Any chance you could shoot that round in your M1974 to learn rifle barrel velocity, please?
Thanks.
Above all, you are a good shipmate.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 05:03:22 PM »
I tried to shoot it in the M1871 rifle. But like the original reloaded .56-52, it would not go off  >:(  I'm really not sure why. The firing pin puts a big dent in the rim, but only at the very out edge. I tried it twice. The dents are so prounounced that I needed to straighten the rim before the Remington's block would completely close on it. I just dry fired the case to get a photo of the dent it makes. Also a photo of the Remington's firing pin hit. It is much deeper and a little more inward, but less wide as the Spencer hit. When I put the priming compound in, I spun it fast for 20 seconds to make sure it got out into the rim. It may be this priming compound is less sensitive.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:33:07 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com