Author Topic: 3 FFF Black Powder  (Read 1866 times)

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3 FFF Black Powder
« on: August 22, 2021, 10:07:26 AM »
I know everything for reloading is hard to find but does anyone know where I could get 3 FFF Black Powder in the Des Moines Iowa area? Last time I got it a Bass Pro, and Sportsman Warehouse, but they don't show any on the net.
Thanks,
Reno

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: 3 FFF Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Powder Inc
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 12:10:46 PM »
Thanks CF I know about them but I don't need 5 lbs. and a couple buddies I used to share with have passed on.
Thanks for the reply,
Reno

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:52:40 AM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:15:16 PM »
I understand but buy in volume and will last a long time then and not have to worry about finding it in a pinch.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 02:23:06 PM »
Thanks CF I know about them but I don't need 5 lbs. and a couple buddies I used to share with have passed on.
Thanks for the reply,
Reno

Are you sure you don't need 5 pounds? In my limited experience, 1 pound will load about 200 cartridges, or slightly more.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 04:39:41 PM »
Are you sure you don't need 5 pounds? In my limited experience, 1 pound will load about 200 cartridges, or slightly more.

Or slightly less depending on the load but about 200 is a good rough average. That's with 45 colt and 44wcf. Either way a single pound of powder disappears real quick.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 10:07:12 PM »
Presently I am shooting DuPont FFFg that was shipped to me by Rail Way Express and it was, I believe ,by lot number made in 1970. It is a little lumpy but I just stir it with a copper rod, and I see no difference in burning than GOEX FFFg..
It was stored in a storage shed hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Nice little screw top metal cans.
Hold center
Hit something
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 09:00:44 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE for Bunk   ;)

When kept dry and stored in an "air tight" not sure that anyone knows what the "shelf life" of Black Powder really is.  I do know that in some circumstances, BP has been found to be quite viable after several hundred years.

People are Hazardous to yer Health

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 09:28:45 AM »
One of the early casualties of WWII was a couple of soldiers on duty stationed on the East coast in a former Civil War fort. They were messing around with an cannon ball they found and rolled it too close to a fire and it detonated.

Also:
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/news/civil-war-2.html
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 08:38:42 AM »

:)  Some Years Back   ;)

There was a group of divers/treasure seekers, found an OLD wreck with cannons on the bottom.  Brought one up and were trying to determine if it was loaded or just corroded.  It had been "spiked."  When removing the spike, they created some sparks and the cannon fired.  Cannon Ball thru one side of the boat and the cannon went thru the other side of the boat.  Other than some minor flash burns, no casualties.  Sometimes better to be lucky than good you betcha

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
The cannonball + campfire happened at Ft. Moultrie on Sullivan's Island, near Charleston SC. The fort was garrisoned with coast watchers for WW II since German subs were patrolling only a few thousand yards off shore. There were cannon balls everywhere since that, and Ft Sumter, were the harbor defense forts since well before the War. It does get cold at night and the troops figured out that if they put a few solid shot in the campfire the warmth would last all night, then someone accidentally rolled a case shot in there.

A friend of mine use to disarm shells and had some powder from one. It went off just fine. Most of what was loaded in Charleston was imported English powder.

Offline greenjoytj

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 07:33:35 AM »
You know that Hodgdon’s has close the GOEX BP powder manufacturing plant.
You might want to rethink that 5# purchase and make it happen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com