Author Topic: Haversack recommendations  (Read 15753 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Haversack recommendations
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 10:58:48 AM »
I'm not sure what happened to my reply yesterday, but I'll post most of it again.
For the 1872 haversack, I'd recommend Tom Wilder (Little Muddy Traders) Williston ND followed by WPG. The contents were pretty well covered, except that I add unground coffee, sugar and hardtack and IF I'll be using it fairly soon side pork or unsliced bacon.

You might also visit the following page for supplier suggestions
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,33884.0.html

I carry a harmonica too( Libby Custer documented them in, I believe,  Boot and Saddles) At Ft. Hartsuff there were Harmonica reed plates retrieved during "Sink" archeology. About the only thing you need to look for is a wooden body. If the harmonica has one it is period correct. Honer makes several good ones that are quite inexpensive.

In the way of books, the ones I recommend (in additions to some of the ones you named) are:
Army Blue and More Army Blue by John Langellier
The U.S. Army in the West, 1870–1880: Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment and Uniforms, Arms, and Equipment: The U.S. Army on the Western Frontier 1880-1892 (2-Volume Set) by the late Douglas McChristian
A Dose of Frontier Soldiering: The Memoirs of Corporal E. A. Bode

Below are my 1876 kit. Like RSJ I remove a lot of it while shooting.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »
Whats the loaded weight for your full marching kit? Also how much of a difference would you say there would be in the official load out vs what would have been commonly carried in the more stripped down campaign kit? Im sure it differed by season.

I wanted to build my impression by first getting:

. Hat ( Im considering a civilian hat in black or light brown )
. Model 1858 sack coat
. Model 1861 trousers
. Bootees
. Socks
. Wool shirt
. Drawers
. Canteen
. Belt Knife ( Im not sure which)
. Haversack Contents ( to include a pocket knife)
. Rifle sling

I already have:
. Fairweather Christian Belt
. Model 1861 Rifle ( with accouterments less bayonet and scabbard)
. Model 1873 Rifle
. Tarred Haversack ( just needs a few repairs but its otherwise accurate and appears to be well made)
. Model 1858 Forage Cap ( I definitely want to supplement this with a civilian hat, but I wanted to add some flexibility)

Later on I would like to add:

. Rubber Blanket or Poncho
. Wool Blanket
. Enlisted Foot Overcoat
. Muskrat Hat ( But Im not sure if these were in use from 66'-67' or 74'-76' )
. Mittens, woolen or fur?

I collected the guns a while ago, I also have a Model 1859 Sharps Carbine that I probably wont be using for this.  My Model 1861 rifle and accouterments are a thousand miles away with my sister, so until they return I want to focus on my 1876 impression. For my initial list can you think of anything Im missing?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 03:20:56 PM »
Whats the loaded weight for your full marching kit? Also how much of a difference would you say there would be in the official load out vs what would have been commonly carried in the more stripped down campaign kit?
Oh, it doesn't weigh all that much...for the first 100 yards or so. After that it weighs at least 2001 lbs.  ::)

In what I have shown there is very little that would have been in addition to the official load. The harmonica, Target record book and the Upton's Manual are the only things I can think of, but it is short the palmer brace. I'd do away with the books, extra shirt and the clothing bag and depending on how long I was to be gone, possibly the extra drawers. I might also eliminate the great coat, shelter half, pins, and poles, depending on what time of year and weather.

IIRC the Muskrat Cap didn't become official issue until sometime in the 1880's. The mittens and winter hat were private purchase items during the 60's & 70's so you can pretty much use whatever you choose.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:45:50 PM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 03:48:35 PM »
Hi

Blockade Runner's and several other places have plate sized steel frying pans (not cast iron, light ones) that can be used to eat from and to cook with. I also have several of the knife, fork, and spoon pocket knife setups that are great, and small.  Extra Socks, and possibly an extra shirt are all the clothing I would take.  The poncho and blanket are useful.  I would take a 7 inch or smaller butcher knife, possibly in a sheath or in your haversack.  Don't need a broadsword when you got a rifle.  A decent cup comes in handy.  I would also suggest a rag or one of those 4-5 inch long whisk broom things to clean plates etc with.  I had one, don't remember what it was called, but it worked great.  Take soap of some sort, matches in a metal match box.  Take a sewing kit, I have a $7 one and a more than $20 one, but both are about a like. 

More, but that will help a little.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
a housewife is simple and fun project....

some pillow ticking or scrap shirt material  , and I used to use the saved off cut when I hemmed my (issue) trousers....
sew into pocket add thread,  a couple of needle,  a few buttons and Bob's your Uncle.

A little pair of folding scissors or maybe some from a fingernail trim kit is nice.   
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »
a housewife is simple and fun project....

some pillow ticking or scrap shirt material  , and I used to use the saved off cut when I hemmed my (issue) trousers....
sew into pocket add thread,  a couple of needle,  a few buttons and Bob's your Uncle.

A little pair of folding scissors or maybe some from a fingernail trim kit is nice.   

Thats a good idea, is it hand or machine sewn? Any suggestions on the types of buttons I might want to add?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
when I campaigned , a lustrum or two ago, I preferred 7" skillet to a plate ...served both to cook in and easy handle to eat from.
Granted, my kit was off horse back and I used saddle bags.
But I scaled back the weight, ...look for a well used silver of bar soap from the shower, skip tin foods, use everywhere lucifer's (matches)Oh and dip the tips in paraffin serves both to water proof and aid a longer burn for stubborn kindlin ignition...
and small piece of lighter knot or a piece of canvas soaked in paraffin and dried.
A cotton hand towel ( not terry cloth )  and a few sheets of sanitary papers .... I found cigarette  rolling papers made reasonable looking
PC substitute less the PC splinters...

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 08:13:55 PM »
Thats a good idea, is it hand or machine sewn? Any suggestions on the types of buttons I might want to add?

hand sewn is cool , machine sewn is a bit faster and acceptable. 

as to buttons ,  shell , bone , wood are all good , there repo's of the stamped metal buttons , and pewter are also available  

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 01:52:05 PM »
You owe it to yourself to get the Douglas McChristian books.  However, wait until Christmas time and get the 2 volume set from Oklahoma Press.  It's usually like $10 plus shipping then.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-West-1870-1880-Equipment/dp/0806137827

https://www.amazon.com/Uniforms-Arms-Equipment-Frontier-1880-1892/dp/080619961X/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EVP1QENQEZE5SSSDM326
GAF#379

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »
I just my my haversack in the mail today, hand washed it and its hanging to dry now. Does anyone know if soldiers marked their names on their field gear at this time? If so what would have been some common methods?

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »
Where did you get the haversack from?
GAF#379

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
Obtained it secondhand from someone, he mentions above ...
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
RSJ, he mentioned that he came across a few used ones that were for sale.  I was thinking, you know, a guy can never have too much gear, right?  RIGHT? :P :-X

Also, the video link you posted just shows a black square for me.  Does it work for you?

Anyone else having a problem playing it?

GAF#379

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 10:33:08 PM »
...  the video link you posted just shows a black square for me.  Does it work for you?

The video link works fine for me. 

Here is the direct URL, if you want to click on it (if that works for you) or copy it and paste it into your browser address line:

https://youtu.be/jIDuA3_LW5A?list=PL3RChRKXZ0aXDC5IT61aR_3im_22HK_gf
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2018, 10:37:13 PM »
RSJ, he mentioned that he came across a few used ones that were for sale.  I was thinking, you know, a guy can never have too much gear, right?  RIGHT? :P :-X

Chris Sullivan at Stony Brook, he has a selection of consignments. The haversack was a bit beat up, but I had everything I needed to fix it and all in all Ive got a usable piece of kit for under $20. For a few dollars more I could have gotten a new low end haversack, but I preferred the leather closure and buckle on the used one.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 07:33:40 AM »
A somewhat used, but well maintained piece of equipment makes for a better impression, anyway, rather than all brand new stuff.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
A somewhat used, but well maintained piece of equipment makes for a better impression, anyway, rather than all brand new stuff.

Ditto.... Salty is the word I use,  The contrary being "Fresh Fish "

while I don't care for " Original Finish " firearms  some folks pay extra for.
 However, good honest " earned" patina is appropriate, on firearms and in particular accouterments.

I have a beater but serviceable OSNABURG  haversack ....  I traded for it at Gettysburg with a Reb casualty to replace my lost tared sack.

there is a bit more to the story....  ;) 

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »
Its going to be repainted, so it will look somewhat fresh, but you can also see the repairs and darning. I figure after a few outings the paint will break in somewhat and it will all look fine.

I repaired the tear with a whip stitch and darned the small holes as well as my patience would allow, darning can be tedious. I may start painting tonight. In case anybody is curious I went with a black latex satin paint, it seemed just shiny enough. I post pictures of the results.

I wonder if people did repaint the stuff or was it just replaced?

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:38 PM »
Pitspitr, what model boots are you wearing?  1872 Boote?  Who made them?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what happened to my reply yesterday, but I'll post most of it again.
For the 1872 haversack, I'd recommend Tom Wilder (Little Muddy Traders) Williston ND followed by WPG. The contents were pretty well covered, except that I add unground coffee, sugar and hardtack and IF I'll be using it fairly soon side pork or unsliced bacon.

I carry a harmonica too( Libby Custer documented them in, I believe,  Boot and Saddles) At Ft. Hartsuff there were Harmonica reed plates retrieved during "Sink" archeology. About the only thing you need to look for is a wooden body. If the harmonica has one it is period correct. Honer makes several good ones that are quite inexpensive.

In the way of books, the ones I recommend (in additions to some of the ones you named) are:
Army Blue and More Army Blue by John Langellier
The U.S. Army in the West, 1870–1880: Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment and Uniforms, Arms, and Equipment: The U.S. Army on the Western Frontier 1880-1892 (2-Volume Set) by the late Douglas McChristian
A Dose of Frontier Soldiering: The Memoirs of Corporal E. A. Bode

Below are my 1876 kit. Like RSJ I remove a lot of it while shooting.

GAF#379

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked: