Author Topic: Support for those in Michigan  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Hunter

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Support for those in Michigan
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:46:06 AM »
This is a wonderful organization, one I am proud to be a member of, but there needs to be more localization of the Departments.  I live in Michigan, one of the states that had a major role in the Civil War, yet there are no Michigan chapters of the GAF.  I can't be the only person from Michigan who is a member of the GAF, more focus needs to be placed on holding matches and activities closer to where members live and encouraging those who live in states where the organization numbers are low to interact more closely/frequently. 

Respectfully,

Wesley J. Bodine

GAF  Member #439

NRA Life Member # 001834062

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Support for those in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »
After a little research I found the following troopers are located in MI:
75    JAMES PEPPER    MI
97    WALL-MAN    MI
155    TEXAS JOHN CRITTER    MI
236    MOE SKEETER    MI
244    HOOFER    MI
372    BOOKMARK    MI
379    SMOKEDAWG    MI
439   WESLEY J BODINE  MI
525    HOSS TUCKER    MI
546    LUE DEE KRISS    MI
569    CREE VICAR DAVE    MI
598    SIXGUN SCOTSMAN    MI
625    ONE HORSE HENRY    MI
635    HORSE WHISPERER GEORGE METIS    MI
693    SHOTGUN STEVE    MI

Maybe you can contact some of them and get something started in MI. I wholeheartedly agree that more GAF action is need at the local level. The are no GAF chapters tanywhere as far as I know. I did divide Department of the Atlantic into 3 District with there own commanders in the hopes that this would facilatate more local action. Didn't happen!  Finding volunteers to organize and promote local activities and  to have access to adequate facilities is a major problem.

I welcome any suggestions, volunteers etc.

Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Adjutant General
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »
Here in Missouri, we don't have very many members either, but at our local club we have 3 members. We now have a GAF category, it's just one category, not all the official GAF categoies. We shoot GAF type rifles and pistol, and reload pistol on the clock to engage shotgun targets. Hopefully this will encourage more people to become interested. We have shot Krags and trapdoors(with lead CAS type loads). Maybe you could approach your local CAS club to try something like that?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:58:21 AM »

Offline Hunter

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »
I belong to the Kalamazoo Rod & Gun club, perhaps I can broach the topic of holding GAF shoots there at the next club meeting. Hopefully, more GAF members from Michigan will post their comments. Thank you for your replies.

Respectfully,

Wesley J. Bodine

GAF member # 439

NRA Life Member # 001834062

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »
We're still taking baby steps here.  A good number of like minded folks, scattered about, with only a wisp of internet binding us.  Find the folks in your area and talk about getting together, make plans.  Do a GAF Demo at your local CAS shoot, getting permission from the local match director to shoot your GAF guns with the cowboys.  Print some brochures off the website, be ready do answer a lot of questions.  Folks like the idea of trying something different, and with our minimal weapons requirement, we're relativly cheap and easy to get started.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 06:37:34 PM »
In Iowa it was a case of one individual approaching the officers of the local club, explaining what we do and demonstrating that battle rifle loads would not destroy thier targets. Once they saw that we wouldn't punch holes in thier steel, we had no problems. (THANK YOU, Dusty Tagalong) Maybe an announced side match after a monthly match or some other demo for those interested would work. Also, don't expect a big turn-out at first, this year Ia. will hold it's 3rd Div. (state) Muster, I'm hoping it will be the one that breaks into double digit entries. If not, so be it. If I can be of any assistence please let me know. Al.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com