Author Topic: Possible GAF Wild Bunch Revisions  (Read 51919 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Possible GAF Wild Bunch Revisions
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »
The Grand Muster Report thread kind of took off on the subject of the wild bunch and Wild Bunch uniforms so I formed it's own thread.

With so many excellent uniforms in appearance, we seriously need to begin considering awarding 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for both the field and dress uniform competitions at future Grand Musters, as well as establishing a more formal grading system so that everyone knows what is expected.  

Thank you for the kind words General.

Agreed about the uniforms. In fact several of us at the muster commented that with the outstanding uniforms at the wild bunch match, we may need to consider the possibility of judging the wild bunch uniforms as kind of a side competition.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:31:12 PM »

Agreed about the uniforms. In fact several of us at the muster commented that with the outstanding uniforms at the wild bunch match, we may need to consider the possibility of judging the wild bunch uniforms as kind of a side competition.

I think that is a great idea.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »

I had much the same thought myself while both watching the Wild Bunch stages and later on while flying to Arizona.  The high quality of the uniforms during the entire match is impressive, but that so many would go to the effort of putting together a ca. 1916 uniform for a side match is even more impressive.  I would welcome any ideas on how we can incorporate the WB side-match into our overall competition without detracting from the fact that we are primarily focused on the Victorian era. 

Perhaps we can just have a separate WB uniform competition without including it in the Battle Rifle (and thus Iron Trooper) competition.  The GAF is unique in the CAS-type hobby in that we give equal attention to the attire, as well as the individual firearms and shooting ability. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Advertising

Re: Possible GAF Wild Bunch Revisions
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:57:56 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:38:43 PM »
I would say to continue to hold it as a friday side match, as we have done, and award a WB uniform medal/certificate.  I would NOT want it as part of the main match, we are too new to add distractions to the core of what we do (IMHO)
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
I agree with Drydock. Keep WB as a fun sidematch, and dont include it in with the main match. A separate WB uniform award would be a nice addition tho. The folks that go to all the work to look the part deserve something for their efforts.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
Yeah that was what I was saying
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:28:37 AM »
The WB match is another one of the fun parts of the Muster.  The uniforms are an important part and they can stand on their own as part of the Uniform competition.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:30 AM »
Only inasmuch as the WB timeframe is later than our stated end date, I would like to see it remain as a fun side match where people can dress as accurately as the spirit moves them, but not expect any award for doing so.

RCJ 
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »
I like the idea of the WB side match sort of standing on its own.  It would be nice to see some sort of award, but it could be as simple as a certificate.  It doesn't need to be included in the criteria for the Brigade Champion award, but it might provide an arena for someone who can't afford a dress uniform, but wants to compete in both the shooting and uniform competitions.  The Wild Bunch stuff would seem to be a way better fit in this organization than SASS, especially the way we do it.  There were some great uniforms in the WB match at the Muster this year!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »
Keep those comments coming.  I am taking them ALL under consideration.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 10:19:08 AM »
Only inasmuch as the WB timeframe is later than our stated end date, I would like to see it remain as a fun side match where people can dress as accurately as the spirit moves them, but not expect any award for doing so.

RCJ 

John,

You're basically correct, as the GAF primarily focuses on the Indian Wars in the US, and the military in general during the Victorian era. 

However, the GAF uniform policy does permit a "Wild Bunch" uniform for those with an interest, primarily for the purpose of shooting in WB matches (to which I give credit to our Chief of Staff, Col Matt Lewis).  This caveat would also include the Marine expedition to Vera Cruz in 1914. 

6. Time Period. The Victorian-era, as defined for the GAF is between the years of 1860-1904, or as roughly equates to the black powder cartridge era.

a. Some leeway on the exact time period is permitted, depending on the member's individual interests but should not exceed that of the Crimean War (1854-1855) and the Pershing Expedition into Mexico (1916). Uniforms of the First World War are not authorized.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »

RCJ 
John,

You're basically correct, as the GAF primarily focuses on the Indian Wars in the US, and the military in general during the Victorian era. 

However, the GAF uniform policy does permit a "Wild Bunch" uniform for those with an interest, primarily for the purpose of shooting in WB matches (to which I give credit to our Chief of Staff, Col Matt Lewis).  This caveat would also include the Marine expedition to Vera Cruz in 1914. 

6. Time Period. The Victorian-era, as defined for the GAF is between the years of 1860-1904, or as roughly equates to the black powder cartridge era.

a. Some leeway on the exact time period is permitted, depending on the member's individual interests but should not exceed that of the Crimean War (1854-1855) and the Pershing Expedition into Mexico (1916). Uniforms of the First World War are not authorized.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Let me restate then that I feel any Uniform competition should be reserved for the main Muster matches.
This opens up the interpretation/question- then can someone enroll and shoot the main stages in uniforms and arms of the 1911- 1914 period?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
Let me restate then that I feel any Uniform competition should be reserved for the main Muster matches.
This opens up the interpretation/question- then can someone enroll and shoot the main stages in uniforms and arms of the 1911- 1914 period?

In my view, the uniform criteria for the main stages should remain limited to the Victorian era, in keeping with the mandated focus of the Grand Army of the Frontier.

I was one of the people who commented on the quality (and quantity) of "Wild Bunch era" uniforms this year, and suggested that with such thought and effort being expended on attire so specifically suited to what is admittedly just a side match, then perhaps a separate "side award" for those uniforms should be considered .... I do agree that certificate(s) or the like would be fine, and would hopefully enhance the Wild Bunch side match experience without diverting GAF in any way from its primary purpose.

If you think about it, the Wild Bunch concept is actually more closely associated with GAF's military focus than to the milieu of SASS, where it originated., and to my mind is accordingly a very appropriate "side match" for a Muster.  Having said that, however, it should remain entirely secondary  and/or supplemental to our Victorian-era military criteria.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:37 AM »
In my view, the uniform criteria for the main stages should remain limited to the Victorian era, in keeping with the mandated focus of the Grand Army of the Frontier.

I was one of the people who commented on the quality (and quantity) of "Wild Bunch era" uniforms this year, and suggested that with such thought and effort being expended on attire so specifically suited to what is admittedly just a side match, then perhaps a separate "side award" for those uniforms should be considered .... I do agree that certificate(s) or the like would be fine, and would hopefully enhance the Wild Bunch side match experience without diverting GAF in any way from its primary purpose.

If you think about it, the Wild Bunch concept is actually more closely associated with GAF's military focus than to the milieu of SASS, where it originated., and to my mind is accordingly a very appropriate "side match" for a Muster.  Having said that, however, it should remain entirely secondary  and/or supplemental to our Victorian-era military criteria.

These is my thoughts as well, though I'm inviting GAF personnel to make known their opinions before any ruling is made.  So far it appears that most are of a similar opinion, though with some minor variations - all of which are useful.

We recognize the top shooters in the WB side match and I'm thinking we should also recognize those who put forth an effort in dressing the part as well.  WB shooting scores are not used for the Iron Trooper/Brigade Champion Award, nor should any WB uniforms. 

Likewise, we're now getting so many quality field and dress uniforms at the Grand Muster that we need to provide for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards - not just 1st place.  And we should probably be recognizing those who dress the part of the frontier scout, as opposed to the typical SASS/NCOWS cowboy/lawman/outlaw/townsman.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »
I would think a dedicated 2 stage sidematch on the friday preceding the main engagement is entirely in order, with its own awards and its own uniform requirements, is entirely appropriate.

Moreover, perhaps we should remake this sidematch in a GAF image.  Make it for the military arms of the era 1900-1916, ie prior to the involvement of the US in WW1. What I call the "Incursion era, Boxer Rebellion to the 1916 Mexican Incursion".  Rifle based, uniforms of the era associated with the rifles.  Here is where the SMLEs, the 03s, the Mauser 98s can come out to play.  Stripper clips, bloc clips, chargers allowed, period speed loaders for the wheelguns.

BUT ONLY AS A SIDEMATCH!  A walk down the historical path leading to our Victorian era Main Match.  Moreover we should then limit our sidematchs to a dedicated few.  Long range rifle, the WB, and perhaps a "School of the Soldier" should be offered.  Not much else, lest we spread ourselves too thin.

Perhaps this discussion should have its own thread?

IMHO, LTC Drydock, ComOrdGAF.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »
After reading my earlier post again, I think some may have gotten the impression I would want a Wild Bunch uniform competition included in the Iron Trooper award.  Not so!  I think the criteria for that should stay as it is now, with perhaps a second and third place added.  I do like the idea of a seperate Wild Bunch uniform competition to go along with the shooting, but keep it a stand-alone thing.  Field uniforms are usually less expensive to put together, so someone on more of a budget could compete for an overall award more easily in the Wild Bunch category.  It would in no way interfere with the Brigade Champion award.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 12:38:17 PM »
Ned, Those are my thoughts as well. I don't have the money for the expensive uniforms. I would rather have a field unifrom with period correct firearms than the fancy uniforms.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 02:24:02 PM »
Moreover, perhaps we should remake this sidematch in a GAF image.  Make it for the military arms of the era 1903-1916, ie prior to the involvement of the US in WW1.  Rifle based, uniforms of the era associated with the rifles. No "cowboy" rifles.  Here is where the SMLEs, the 03s, the Mauser 98s can come out to play.  Stripper clips, bloc clips, chargers allowed, period speed loaders for the wheelguns.

I very much like that general concept I can already envisage "mixing and matching" various firearms already in my 'arsenal'  - i.e. Ross or SMLE rifle .... and an even wider range of suitable handguns:  Mark V or VI Webley, Colt Government Model, Colt New Service, S&W Hand Ejector ......   ;D

However, I can see a bit of a problem with the General's thought that WWI-era uniforms would not be allowed ..... unless he was thinking solely in the US context.  Keep in mind that, by the end of 1916, the British Empire and the other major combatants (France, Belgium, Russia, Germany and Austria) had already been hotly engaged in the Great War hostilities for almost 2 1/2 years!  And for the most part, they entered  into that conflict in mid-1914 with uniforms, arms and equipment introduced at various times in the preceding ten or fifteen years .....

For example, the basic service uniforms, equipment  and weapons used by British and Empire forces throughout WWI originated in the 1902-1908 time period, following the Boer War .....  

In other words, care would be required in how any restrictions are formulated.

On the other hand, if the primary concern would be to avoid inclusion of items which are really "WWI-specific" - such as steel shrapnel helmets and respirators (gas masks) - I would certainly have no objection to that .... indeed, neither of those items of equipment were introduced for British Empire forces, at least, until 1916.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »
That would be my thought as well, to avoid the WW1 Specific items found on the Western Front, such as the steel helmets, gas masks and such.  Most were introduced well into 1916,  mostly with the introduction of modern Chemical Warefare.  I think that would be fairly easy to define and police should need be.  

I think I should say I would not want to get rid of the "Cowboy" rifles per se, simply deemphasize them as we have in the Main match.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Possible Wild Bunch rules Revisions
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
I like your idea Drydock, of including weapons and uniforms up to WW1. It would allow the SMLEs to be used (a favorite of mine), as well as 1903s, G98s, etc. It would be a fun thing to see some of these girls work like they were meant to.

I dont mind getting rid of the lever action either, but if you do, I would not call it a Wild Bunch match, as that may lead to confusion amongst us SASS folks. I knew that I could bring my 73, my 1911, and my 97, and shoot the WB match at muster. If we disallowed levers, and still called it WB, we may have uninformed people showing up expecting to shoot with their levers, assuming that Wild Bunch rules apply.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com