Author Topic: Resize new 45LC brass?  (Read 3715 times)

Offline badcompany

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Resize new 45LC brass?
« on: January 09, 2016, 05:55:01 PM »
Got a whole case of starline 45LC brass in today. I tried several cases from the lot and all of them fit easily into the cylinders of my ruger vaqueros. Should I resize the brass anyways or should I not bother?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Resize new 45LC brass?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:44:25 PM »
That would depend on if they will hold the bullet tight enough without sizing. You could try running a few through the neck expander die, if they slide too easy onto the expander button, they'll probably not hold a bullet well.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
Generally it is a good practice to run all new brass through a sizer.  A helpful hint.  Even if you have carbide dies give the new .45 Long Colt cases a spritz of Hornady One Shot.  Makes sizing a LOT easier and won't wear out your arm.  If you have ever reloaded a thousand new cases you will notice a fine brass powder left on the shell plate and other areas of the press.  These little micro burrs can be felt when you are on the upstroke and the case is being pulled off the expander ball or powder funnel.  A little lube will make this a much smoother operation.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:45:08 PM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 09:13:55 PM »
resizing will "round out" any case mouths that might be damaged in shipment. i also give the inside of the case mouth a light pass with the chamfering (sp?) tool to remove the burr that is usually there. That and a shot of "One Shot" makes life a lot easier.
Bunk

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:46:43 PM »
I resize everything ... get them used to your particular dies... You will have to trim them as well if you want consistancy

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:27:10 PM »
YES .....

NO .....

Absolutely YES, brandi new brass should be resized before loading.  Real easy if your running a progressive.

No.  For what we do, trimming brass is mostly a waste of time.  Additionally, When spot-checking new Starline brass, it was so close
trimming would have accomplished nothing other than to waste my time.  It's all going to crimp into the crimp groove.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Even if your running Carbide dies and even if it's new brass, give it a shot of lube before you run it thru the press.  Big difference.

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »
Pretty much in agreement, good idea to size, it trues up any dings from shipment if nothing else and makes for uniform cases.  Also a chamfer tool isn't necessary, but makes loading .454 lead bullets a lot easier, and makes running the brass into the expander die easier.  As does a shot of lube.  I like One shot, I hate it for any real serious resizing like bottle necked rifle, but it makes even carbide pistol dies run a lot smoother.

It's not a bad idea to trim new brass, but spot check Starline and unless there quality has went down a lot there's no point with them.  A batch of Winchester I got several years ago on the other hand...  Also since the rimmed case headspaces on the rim, as long as the case isn't so long it gets into the chamber throat it's not going to hurt anything.  They will split long before getting too long.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com