Author Topic: Anyone loading with Clays powder  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Bart Fargo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone loading with Clays powder
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »
Just wondered how many are loading with Clays powder. I use it in my shotgun for trap and using in handguns also to keep from buying two powders. Any perfected load recipe with clays and 45 LC would be appreciated. I have loaded it with 4.5 grains. but have not had a chance to test it yet.

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
Re: Anyone loading with Clays powder
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
Yep.....been do'n 5.0 gr for years in the 357MAG behind the 158gr LRNFP just under the SASS speed limit in 5.5 OMV rugers and 1200 in the Marlin '94

Do the same in the 45 Colt so I don't move my powder measure...200gr LRNFP  have not clocked the speed yet on these in the '66 yeller boy or the 4.625 bisley OMV rugers...  Guess'n 850 in the Rugers... ;)

Works Great!
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
I tried it and got erratic ignition. About that time Trail Boss came out and I tried that for awhile.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:38:59 AM »

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
I tried it and got erratic ignition. About that time Trail Boss came out and I tried that for awhile.

I've tried it in some 45 Colts with 250 gr RNFP cast bullets and it shot OK but my preference is either Trailboss or Universal. I have also used clays in 9mm and 45 ACP and again worked good but there I like Universal or HP-38. I also tried Unique, bullseye, titegroup and AA #2 with good results also on 9mm, 45 ACP and 45 Colt (none cowboy loads but standard SAMMI loads).
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Cumberland Mtn John

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »
Been loading for years with Clays.  3.4 grs behind a 200gr for 44 SPL and 4.8 grs behind a 250 gr 45 Colt.
Each to his own.

Cumberland Mtn John

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »
5.0 grains behind a 250 grain LRNFP bullet in .45 Colt is utterly reliable and super clean shooting.

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »
Light loads of clays under light loads of shot give excellent results in target loads for 12ga, but I have had best results with Trailboss
for cartridge. Started with Trailboss, tried just about everything else, and wound up back where I started. EZ, accurate, and consistant, at least in the calibers i shoot: 44wcf 45 colt 45 schofield. A case filling powder designed for plinking. I will admit clays is cleaner, but a little soot on my cases isn't a big deal.

Offline Bart Fargo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 05:18:24 PM »
Well thanks for the reply folks. I shot my loaded 45 LC with 4.5 gr. of clays today behind 250 RNFP.  They have plenty of kick even though they are supposedly light loads. I think I will leave it at 4.5 gr.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com