Author Topic: Bucket lists  (Read 22548 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Bucket lists
« on: April 26, 2018, 04:22:32 AM »
an alert ( sound ) on my Cell phone, woke me and now left awake and to idle musing ...

I got to thinking bucket lists.... did a search to see if "someone" else had started a thread on the subject....
well there were some entries, but not in the area I was pondering .

Your top 5  Bucket list firearms, you'd like to own ?

I'll list mine in hopes a it becomes an interesting thread and/or maybe additional advertizment might bear fruit in my quest .

in no real order then...

1.  A C96 broomhandle Mauser ( quirky and cool I've always like them )

2. A Colt SAA in 32/20 ( has to be a COLT , even a 3rd. gen. )

3. Luger  ( 9mm P-08)

4. A  95 Winchester Carbine in 30/40 Krag ( A Miroku Browning might work )

5. Thompson M1921 or M1927 - M1928A1

I could go on I suppose ...but I said 5 so there's mine....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: Bucket lists
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 06:34:39 AM »
I'll play, but if I can I'll add a couple of 'to do's' along with the to owns.

1. A Webley Fosbery .45 ( I got to shoot one at a WASA match, such a cool revolver)

2. A Triple Lock Smith .45 or one of those new .45 Lugers

3. A 1917 WC Browning semi auto ( there was an outfit building them years ago)

4. A trip to New Orleans to see the WW2 military museum

5. A trip to Normandy
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:45:13 PM »
This sounds like it should be a fun subject.

I can't honestly say that I have a "bucket list" of arms that I would like to have filled.
19th Cen. Smith & Wesson (brake top revolvers), Colt & Remington (cartridge) Conversions, Merwin Hulbert and English/Euro. made revolvers have always been a soft spot for me. At the time I started collecting them, they were rather affordable. But, that always seemed to change shortly afterwards.
Civil War period long arms were another sweet spot. Spencer Repeating Arms in particularly. Other long arms like Rifle-Muskets I built for competition shooters within the North/South Skirmish Asst. and a few of the living historians that wanted something more authentic than what was coming out of Italy at the time. At around $900.00 my cost for just the parts, even those custom built guns parts have gotten too expensive for most folks.
I hope more folks add to this subject.
My best,
 Blair    
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:48:14 AM »

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »
1 - A lettered Cavalry Colt in superb condition

2 - A real, military issue, Thompson sub machine gun

3 - A real, military issue, BAR

4 - A German MG-42 from WWII

5 - A working Gatling gun

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
Addition to my earlier posting:

I would like to get an English made side hammer, double action "Kerr" revolver from the mid 1850's. I found one that was a cartridge conversion once. By the time I had made up my mind, and went back to buy it... it was sold. (you snooze, you loose!)

A Shilho Arms made CS Richmond/Robinson Sharps carbine.

I know this isn't 5 items, but this is about the closest I have to a "Bucket list" these days.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »
Well, I'm with you, Major, on the Winchester '95 carbine.  I recently picked up a '95 rifle (made 1899) in 30-40, but the rifle needs a carbine so as to not feel too lonely.

I also longed for a C96 Mauser for a long time.  My wife finally got tired of me hopping up and down, pointing at every one we saw in every museum we went to (every museum has at least one).  She finally told me to stop doing that and just save my money.  I ended up with a nice 1917 broomhandle and it is very cool.

My list seems to shift all the time, though.  The only other gun that has been on there forever is a good older Hi-Power.  The first semi-auto that I shot was my friend's dad's GI bringback made early in the war with German markings and I was in love.  Someday...

I would also like a nice Colt Frontier Six-Shooter, but once my gun budget reaches about $1500, I seem to find something more urgent...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
I’ll throw mine in:

1. Kerr cap and ball revolver as used in Civil War
2.  1866 Winchester in 44-40
3.  Spencer carbine in 44-40
4.   Colt SAA in 32-20
5.  Marlin CL in 25-20

The Kerr is the only one that is really tough— no reproductions and originals are very expensive but one can allways dream.
The cost of the Italian guns are getting really expensive and less affordable all the time. To tell the truth I am blessed to have a nice variety
Of Old West and Civil War era firearms so if I do not fill that bucket list I still have enjoyed what I have. I can ride into the sunset with no regrets.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:46:59 PM »
" To tell the truth I am blessed to have a nice variety
Of Old West and Civil War era firearms so if I do not fill that bucket list I still have enjoyed what I have. I can ride into the sunset with no regrets."

I share that same philosophy , as you say though "one can always dream"
and there in lies the quest  ;D

I note, I've had or have a handful of the guns others here have mentioned here .... and concur they are desirable.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 01:57:07 AM »
I actually had a hard time coming up with very many because I have most of the guns that I've longed for over the years, especially "old west" type guns. I've been blessed in that regard. The vast majority are reproductions because I'm much more of a shooter than a collector. One of my recently completed goals was to have at least one each of the Winchester lever action series from the Henry through the 1895. That was a cool and satisfying project, nearly taking care of my bucket list. So for now, I'm just enjoying what I have, although a similar series of Colt revolvers would be fun...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »
M-1 Garand

M-1 Carbine

Springfield Trapdoor Carbine

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
Well ...heck !
As I read each of your posts...I see we are kindred spirits ....

M-1 Carbine    oh yeah !  I want  (desire met !)

Colt SAA in 32-20  Absolutly its on my list above !   (desire met !)

Marlin CL in 25-20  ( I have one in 32/20 )

Winchester 95 Carbine  Oh yes please ! on my list of 5

Shilho Arms made CS Richmond/Robinson Sharps carbine  ( had one ) and several original, a1859 and 2 - 63's

A lettered Cavalry Colt in superb condition ..... YUMMMMMMMMMMM !

Ed ....  that trip to Normandy,   I had been to NO and the WW2 military museum , prior to Katrina  :(

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
My wife is a WWII buff (both her parents served in the Navy in the Pacific Theater) and many years ago had a collection of WWII US arms, all coincidentally made in 1943. Vicariously I got to enjoy her M1 Grand, M1 Carbine, 1903A3 Springfield, Remington M-11 12g, and my favorite her 1911A1. I loaded ammo for all of them so she could shoot them, and she always let me fire off a magazine from each one.

That was for those of you wishing for those WWII guns. They were a joy to behold and to fire.

As for me:

First would be a 4-3/4" all US made Pre-War, black powder frame USFA.

A 2000 vintage S&W Schofield. The 7-1/2" would do but I've seen a few 5" blued versions and that would be my preference.

A Winchester (Miroku) '73 Short Rifle with the totally un-necessary tang safety removed.

A Remington Rolling Block sporting rifle in 50-70.

A nice side hammer double 12 Gage. I haven't see all the current offerings so I won't specify any further.

Dave

PS: I'm not physically up to shooting all of these firearms, but bucket lists are about wishful thinking so the above is my wish. (smile)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 06:57:54 AM »
1.  A C96 broomhandle Mauser

2. 1875 Remington in 44-40

3. Luger (Mauser 9mm P-08)

4. Cooper Double action cap and ball.

5. Sharps buffalo rifle.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
1.  A matched pair of near-perfect S&W 1st Model Russians with 8" barrels, nickel plating and plain ivory grips..... and the leather to go with them.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
Over the many years I have been interested in firearms collecting and shooting, what was in my "bucket list" varied greatly.
More often than not, if I kept an open mind with what I was able to find (and within my price range), that "list" changed.
I eventually went from wanting everything to being quite particular.
A friend of mine asked me how I could do that?
All I could tell him was that my "bucket list" always cost more than I could afford.
So I found other ways of getting that "fix".
I either built my own or modified something that was available into something that I wanted.
Both of these aspects require a great deal of knowledge and research into the subject if you want to produce something that is historically authentic.
Just another aspect to this thing called the "bucket list"!
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 04:47:10 AM »
Well , I can check # 2 off my list   ;D   ;)

2. A Colt SAA in 32/20 ( has to be a COLT , even a 3rd. gen. ) 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »

I've always wanted a Gatling Gun.  Big hefty thing on a wheeled limber with a Cason.

Some lustrum ago, I attended (with well coin'd friend), the disposal of a warehouse full of military surplus from the closing of a small, out of the way Army Post.  You had to bid on "lots."  A lot was a square taped on the floor.  You were bidding on everything in the square.  I went to the auction because they were selling off about 200 solid oak roll top desks from WWII.  Unfortunately, ALL the desks were stacked in "lots."  You had to buy a whole lot with about 20 desks stacked.  Some well healed furniture dealer bought them all.  Wouldn't sell me just one.  Prat.  Anyway, my companion bought his lot of stuff which included three nailed up crates.  When we got all the "stuff" back to his place (he wanted automotive tools) and opened the crates, he had a complete Gatling gun, Wheeled Limber and a Cason.  He paid a grand total of $240 for his "lot."  A complete Gatling Gun, for $240.  Go figure.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
coffin maker...liked your rumination and the lucky find of a gatling. had to read it 3 times before it occurred to me that your "cason"  i think is a caisson?  heck i would like to have one of the 1/4 scale .22 cal 's they made a few years back
best
kw

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
KW1876,

Never made claim to being able to spel gud.  Never could.  While I hate "auto correct" on this infernal confuser, I do like it's look-up feature and the way it identifies miss-spelled words. 

However, yes, I did mean "Caisson."  At the time, I couldn't believe what was in to crates.  He (my attending friend) did score a big pile of mechanics tools.  According to the size(s) though, mostly intended for work on Armor and Tanks.  Some really BIG wrenches.  How that Gatling wound up in the sale is still a mystery.  I did offer twice what he paid for the "lot" to get the Gatling.  He just laughed.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »
Cm,

My spelling have never been very good even at the best of times. "Spell Check" has been a great help. I just wish I knew how to get it back. (too many computer moving parts I guess)

My Gatling Gun was great fun! I had the Try Pod and the Field Carriage for it. (none of the other goodies like you had)
It always attracted a great deal of attention when I got the ok to bring it to an event.
But, it always required a great deal of preparation and work, both before and after. And few of the "Event Participants" ever knew or realized this part of "their fun".
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com