Author Topic: Where Did USFA's Steam Wander Off To?  (Read 77477 times)

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where Did USFA's Steam Wander Off To?
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:39:11 AM »
I am a huge fan of USFA!  I was so pleased to see the minds at USFA working on top quality as a hallmark, but also creating new ideas from the old designs.  Full size .22lr SAA's, 12/22 models, Snubbies in Single Action, a mixture of options to create new variations, and special features.  USFA definitely gave a breath of fresh air to the gun market and made some other manufacturers take notice.  Colt has cleaned up it's act and quality has improved.  Other large capacity .22lr Single Actions are now being offered.

So,  with a wonderful push into the market with some of the best American Quality ever seen, new fresh ideas on proven designs, hardcore fans willing to fight with the best of Colt fans, what happened?  Where is USFA?  What are they up to?

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
Re: Where Did USFA's Steam Wander Off To?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »
The bad economy.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »
Yes, I think it is the economy somewhat, but a lot of people (myself included) were angered over them showing fantastic prototypes that never saw the light of day. I wanted their version of the '75 Rem. so bad I could taste it, only to have my hopes dashed upon the rocks. I know a lot of people PO'd over the Remington fiasco.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:18:49 AM »

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »
Ain't it the truth Fox Creek Kid.
The Remington fiasco put a black cloud over the whole works. The highly unrealistic price tag had alot of us looking the other way. They could have built it under the USFA name but they had to talk with the folks at Remington Arms first. In my opinion, that wasn't their best move. Too bad their hearts weren't in it.
The sad part is that the prototypes performed pretty well according to Gary Granger(who has had some range time with them he told me). ;)

This is one memory I don't like bringing back up. I made a proper a%& of myself with some posts and I don't wish to do that again. :-[
A work in progress.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:27:32 AM »
Yes, I think it is the economy somewhat, but a lot of people (myself included) were angered over them showing fantastic prototypes that never saw the light of day. I wanted their version of the '75 Rem. so bad I could taste it, only to have my hopes dashed upon the rocks. I know a lot of people PO'd over the Remington fiasco.

Agreed.  It wasn't even so much that they couldn't get it together to make them, but that USFA failed to keep the potential buyers of their product informed even on their own website.  You just do not treat customers of high end guns like that.  I love the 3 USFAs I have, but I doubt I would ever buy another.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:53:14 AM »
I have just the one and it's a USPFA rare conversion ...I wanted the Remi too   >:( and I like the Omni Potent snubby both now just so much dust ...
Might buy a Premium in a BP frame one day..if I ever see one offered at the same time I have the money...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:27:11 PM »
Doc asked, "What are they up to?"  My answer is, "Hopefully, nothing."  Let me explain...

I have been following USFA since the very beginning and, if nothing else, they have a long history of promising but not delivering.  Originally they were going to offer a full line of percussion revolvers.  Only a handful of 16" "Buntline" and 1851 Navy Richards Mason revolvers were ever made.  The Lightning Rifle project fizzled.  All mention of the 1911's and the Woodsman pistols have disappeared from their web site.  The Omni-Potent is no longer in production.  The Remington project never came to be (The Remingtons, by the way, were to be marked Remington, not USFA, and marketed through Remington - not exactly sure where the ball got dropped on that one, Remington or USFA, but I can guess).  Anyone else remember the Forehand & Wadsworth prototype that USFA displayed at the Shot Show a few years back?  Who's bright idea was that?  What it all boils down to is that USFA has always tried to go too far, too fast.  What is truly amazing is that they have been able to produce quality SAA's despite all of these marketing mishaps and mayhem.

I, for one, feel that we would be best served if USFA would abandon all future plans for product line expansion and stick solely to the SAA.  No more rifle/shotgun plans, no more semi-autos, just SAA's.  USFA should concentrate on providing the best SAA available and the ability to offer their customers a variety of custom variations in a timely manner.  Their Double Eagle and 12/22 models are a classic examples of what can be done.  Expand on it, but within the limits of the basic SAA design.  Concentrate more on the "custom shop" side of the business.  Want a  10" SAA on a black powder frame with a double eagle style enlarged trigger guard and a Bisley style hammer?  USFA would be (and should be) the only company you could go to.

USFA built their reputation on the Single Action Army design.  It's what they do best and they should stick to it.  Every time they start heading off in another direction production of the SAA seems to suffer a bit and that will never be good for business.    
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:31:47 PM »
Capt., I agree but I would like to see them make say runs of famous CAS revolvers like the '75 Remington, F&W, etc. They could make some good money and bring back the glory. However, I too know more than I can say about why things have happened as they have. Suffice to say that it will NEVER change at USFA under current leadership.  ;)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
Lets not forget the  Black, green, Pink & yellow color options on SAA  ::) 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »
Thanks, Major.  I knew I forgot something!

Fox Creek,
I agree with you, I don't see things changing at USFA.  I am also sticking to my guns on this (no pun intended).  I would much rather see USFA stick strictly to the SAA and become the premier manufacturer of production and custom SAA's than branch out and become another Uberti - a company that makes a variety of pretty good guns but nothing really great.  You can't seem to have it both ways.  USFA has proven this to us time and time again.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
It's not about steam.  It's about sales.  USFA is a small boutique firearms manufacturer.  Their sales numbers are low and mistakes can be costly.  To put things in perspective in the last report on Firearms production in the United States Smith & Wesson reported 216,000 revolvers manufactured.  Ruger reported 96,000.  Based on these numbers and the numbers from some other manufacturers Colt and USFA are simply not major players in the firearms market.  USFA manufactured 8,300 revolvers and Colt only 3,900.  A bad market guess is going to hurt USFA and Colt far more than Smith & Wesson and Ruger.  Remember, these numbers are for REVOLVERS only.  When you add in semi-autos, USFA and Colt are barely footnotes in the annual report.  I hope USFA and Colt weather the recession and continue making the finest single actions in the country.  I have several of both and despite the never ending BS, they are both equal in quality and with the recent USFA price increase, about equal in price.  You can't go wrong buying either.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »
Unlike USFA, Colt will survive due to government contracts. Single actions are a quaint loss leader to them. USFA is a fine example of "Made in America" and as such deserves our support or one day they may not be there and we will not have them "to kick around anymore" as Tricky Dick used to say.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
Colt Defense and Colt Manufacturing LLC are two separate corporations.  Even Colt Defense has lost the exclusive government contract for the M-4 and other M-16 off-shoots.

Offline texagun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:47 PM »
...."What are they up to?"  My answer is, "Hopefully, nothing."  Let me explain....USFA built their reputation on the Single Action Army design.  It's what they do best and they should stick to it.  

I agree with John.  Stick to what they do best....building the finest SAA's on the planet.  I just received my .45Colt/.45ACP Convertible that was ordered the end of December.  The quality is simply outstanding.  Beautifully timed and tight with both cylinder's throats measuring .4525 with an outstanding bluing and CCH finish.  As long as they keep building these, I'm happy.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »
When did USFA stop case coloring their hammers on their Premium models "a la" modern Colts?  ???

Offline texagun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 02:36:13 PM »
When did USFA stop case coloring their hammers on their Premium models "a la" modern Colts?  ???

It's been quite a while now.  The one I bought last year didn't have one and the one this year doesn't have one.  You can still order it as an optional item for $115.  I really didn't want one on either gun.  Wanted to keep them as authentic as possible.

Offline mtone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »
It's just a guess but I'd say about 5 years ago.  It's still standard on a Pre War and extra cost on the SA.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
...You can still order it as an optional item for $115.  I really didn't want one on either gun.  Wanted to keep them as authentic as possible.

$115.00!!!  :o That's outrageous!! I had a Colt hammer done aftermarket for $25.00!!!  ::)  By the way, case colored hammers are hostorically authentic on 1st Gen. Colts.

Offline texagun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 01:57:35 PM »
By the way, case colored hammers are hostorically authentic on 1st Gen. Colts.

Colt stopped case hardening the hammers some time before the 1st Generation production ended in 1940. According to Colt SAA expert John Kopec, Colt started the change in hammers just prior to 1937.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
That is correct. However since this is a CAS website I was assuming you wanted a gun representative of the 19th century. Maybe not.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com