Author Topic: 1883  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« on: April 11, 2022, 12:10:04 PM »
Anyone have a chance to watch this spinoff of YELLOWSTONE?

https://www.paramountplus.com/shows/1883/

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • NCOWS #: 4017
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 72
Re: 1883
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 12:20:10 PM »
We watch Yellowstone (it's filmed just a few miles away) but didn't get into 1883 because we don't have Paramount Plus.
"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 12:25:45 PM »
I watched the entire series. Was ok, but could use some language cleaning up. I just don't think folks used the F word back then. Something else maybe but not that particular word. I guess I could be wrong though. My personal opinion is it would have been a great series if the language had not been so bad.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:42:48 AM »

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 12:30:00 PM »
I watched the entire series. Was ok, but could use some language cleaning up. I just don't think folks used the F word back then. Something else maybe but not that particular word. I guess I could be wrong though. My personal opinion is it would have been a great series if the language had not been so bad.

That was indeed a topic of discussion when DEADWOOD came out.

Jesse Sheidlower, the American editor of the Oxford English Dictionary and the scholar of cussing who wrote The F-Word, says probably not. Not that frontiersmen were genteel. “There were cursing contests when cowboys would get together and insult each other,” he says. But “the evidence that we have is that they were using more religious blasphemy than the sexual insults which are popular today.”

https://nymag.com/nymetro/news/people/columns/intelligencer/n_10191/#:~:text=So%20fuck%20or%20fucking%20is,until%20around%20World%20War%20I.

Instead, it was decided that the show would use current profanity in order for the words to have the same impact on modern audiences as the blasphemous ones did back in the 1870s

https://robertbrucecarter.com/writing/2013/12/anachronistic-profanity-in-deadwood/

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 12:30:56 PM »
We watch Yellowstone (it's filmed just a few miles away) but didn't get into 1883 because we don't have Paramount Plus.

We're curious - what's you/your neighbors/locals in general opinion on the accuracy of the series' tone?

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 12:34:49 PM »
Since the 1880s is in the middle of the era I am interested in I would love to have been able to watch it.  Unfortunately my old, by today's standards, TV doesn't do all the stuff you digital hipsters understand and do (LOL) so I can't watch it.

It kind of makes me mad that after paying for cable service I am now expected to pay for "extra" programing on top of the already too high cable bill.

OK - I'll go crawl back under my rock.

The 21st Century Luddite,
Dave

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 12:36:56 PM »
Since the 1880s is in the middle of the era I am interested in I would love to have been able to watch it.  Unfortunately my old, by today's standards, TV doesn't do all the stuff you digital hipsters understand and do (LOL) so I can't watch it.

I see this as a healthy excuse to go socialize with like-minded individuals in your immediate environs for binge-watching.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »
I see this as a healthy excuse to go socialize with like-minded individuals in your immediate environs for binge-watching.

How I wish I had "like minded individuals" around here.  I don't know of s single black powder cartridge shooter in my town (probably are some but where?) and the one history buff I know is a Plainsman type, 1840s & 1850s.

Oh, I have it so hard.  LOL

Dave

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 01:02:37 PM »
We're curious - what's you/your neighbors/locals in general opinion on the accuracy of the series' tone?

Interesting question.  As far as the plot goes, the vast majority of Montanans would NOT be in favor of outside interests coming into the state and changing the way of life. In that respect, the locals would support Dutton in fighting to keep his ranch out of the hands of big businesses that have no interest in the land beyond development to make money.
In terms of reality, many locals don't like that it's being filmed here for fear that it will draw attention to the area and even more out of staters will move here. They cast/crew fill up motels and frequent restaurants, etc. so that is good for local businesses.
I've had a couple interactions with cast members and they were very nice folks. Looky Loos can sometimes cause a traffic hazard when they stop on a 2 lane highway to take a photo of the entrance to the ranch!
Never thought I'd ever see so many lear jets coming and going from our little airport!

"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 01:59:48 PM »
So Mo and Rainwater are *ok*.

Good to know.

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 02:02:30 PM »
As far as the plot goes, the vast majority of Montanans would NOT be in favor of outside interests coming into the state and changing the way of life. 

Is the fight against over-development as epic as portrayed?

I live in an urban environment where the local representation has rolled over to the out-of-area Real Estate rapists.

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 02:42:53 PM »
It's probably a bit overdramitized but we've had our share of property rights disputes that involved gunplay. People here are highly protective of their property and the public land/private land political fights are ongoing. To put it another way, if you come across a no trespassing sign in Montana, you'd be well advised to heed the warning. I'm sure that's true in other places too, especially very rural,  off the beaten path areas.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 04:12:57 PM »
That was indeed a topic of discussion when DEADWOOD came out.

Story,

I tried watching the DEADWOOD series once but just could not handle the language in my home, and I am an old veteran USN sailor.

Also, I did not particularly like the way the 1883 series ended.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 06:55:35 AM »

I'd read some plot continuity criticisms of the reasonings behind the wagon train in the first few episodes.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2022, 08:40:17 AM »

I tend to agree, I watch the 9 episodes, somewhat captured by the raw reality depicted....
In the same category as Lonesome Dove.
It was no happily ever after life on the cattle or wagon trail.

Still, the holes were there for reasonings behind the wagon train.
The railroads had all but eliminated the need to travel by covered wagon.
 A train would arrive in the West in one week instead of six months.
Smallpox vaccine in European countries was compulsory by 1871.

By episode 9, I had guessed the plot wrap up, I did not care to watch what would transpire in E 10.
Sorta missed out on the closer, though I read follow up episode(s) is ordered by the network

Still, I'm glad it was made and have high hope for "That Dirty Black Bag "
I yet to see it, though

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com