Author Topic: Bore butter  (Read 2758 times)

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bore butter
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2022, 10:21:51 PM »
Dave T,
The old timers either used just powder and ball/bullet without lube or paper cartridges where the bullet was lubed with a tallow/beewax mix. They kept their pistols loaded for long periods because the guns were designed to shoot 6 shots and then reholstered, set aside or tossed to be reloaded at a later time. Keep in mind that up until the advent of the revolver all anyone had were single shot pistols and fighting knives. The revolver brought about a SIX FOLD increase in firepower. The guns were expected to be shot dry, retired from the fray and if needed you either drew another pistol or your sword or fighting knife. Other than a fairly waxy lube on the bullet the revolvers were not loaded with any lube either under or over the ball/bullet. With solid lube or none at all in the chambers the revolvers could be left loaded for long periods of time without worry.

On the Hickock thing of firing & reloading daily. I really doubt that was the case as it frightens the horses. However, one of Wild Bill's duties was to eliminate stray dogs that menaced citizens and horse teams. I suspect he shot a few stray dogs but I doubt it took him 12 rounds every day.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com