Author Topic: Why I like NCOWS  (Read 148778 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Why I like NCOWS
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »
Charles, Kind Sir,
Welcome!
As River City John indicates, you would fall into the parameters of the GAF most easily. I encourage you to look at the forum on this website if you haven't done so already as it is a positive endeavor to encourage participation in Historical Military events.
Best regards and good shooting,
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925
GAF #114
Bvt. Capt.
Adjt., Retired
c/o Dunbar Station
Iowa Territory
USA

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »
Hello Gents

Well, I guess I also like NCOWS because I made my first post 1 day ago and have only been made to feel welcome. No comments made with disdain alluding to inexperienced newbies, greenhorns, pilgrims. Just positive comments about shooting fun.

Tried the NSSA board because I like history and shooting original US Military arms, so shooting in a Skirmish seemed like a good Idea at the time. No welcome at all and you would have thought these guys actually fought the Civil War and I was some kind of tinhorn. Then there is the issue with them shooting mostly 2 band muskets with tall squared off front sights and all manner of rear target sights. Just seems wrong to me. Now, I know I should not stereotype all Skirmishers from an experience 10 years ago, but the perception was created. So I just continued to go to the range with my ancient iron surrounded by gents that have no intrest in these arms of a bygone era.

I have gone to several modern shoots I found out about on the internet. I went there to win nothing and always left with a new friend, something that a trophy pales in comparisom to.

I am very humbled by the information and welcomes. Thank You

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
You're VERY welcome here, Charles.

We were ALL new at one time.
 ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 08:28:54 AM »

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2008, 04:00:46 PM »
Thanks Steel Horse.

I see there are some NCOWS members in Va. Hopefully there will be a shoot sometime in the near future.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Thanks Steel Horse.

I see there are some NCOWS members in Va. Hopefully there will be a shoot sometime in the near future.

I know it's a bit of a drive, but you're always welcome here in Indiana!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »
Sorry for the late replies, I have kind of fallen off the face of the earth for a bit. :)
glad to see you have returned                                                                                                                                                                                     Deadwood                 
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2008, 01:45:21 AM »
After readin' your Posts I had to clang a gong and say I sure like what I have read in this thread... I was invited to CAS Shoot at the Desert Marksmen R&P Club, Anteope Valley, So. CA. I had jus' gone to watch and see what it was like and meet some new faces. The guy that invited me didn't show...(Officer of the Law) So I knew no one there,  even though I've been member of a Black Powder Mountain Man Group and BP Revolver Shootin' Since 1980's.
All were very cordgile, offered rifles and shotguns to borrow.

Jus' thought I'd chime in...

Thanks,

SG
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »
For me the reason I am a member of NCOWS is the authenticity. Yeah, at first it was a pain to get authentic but it became a real challenge and with the great people who are members helping me I think I've come a long way. I just need to attend more events now. My old possie quit NCOWS so I quit them. I was a member of the Fort Des Moines Rangers and we were the first possie until it got hijacked. So I stuck with NCOWS and left the possie. Now I need to get myself in gear and join with the order of the phoenix. I got the itch to do some shooting and showing off the (hopfully) authentic gear I've put together.

Thanks for giving me the time to rant. lol
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2010, 11:04:39 PM »
RickB,

Glad that you stuck with NCOWS!!  I joined because of the authenticity and having a 2 gun category.  Great pard abound!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
For me the reason I am a member of NCOWS is the authenticity. Yeah, at first it was a pain to get authentic but it became a real challenge and with the great people who are members helping me I think I've come a long way. I just need to attend more events now. My old possie quit NCOWS so I quit them. I was a member of the Fort Des Moines Rangers and we were the first possie until it got hijacked. So I stuck with NCOWS and left the possie. Now I need to get myself in gear and join with the order of the phoenix. I got the itch to do some shooting and showing off the (hopfully) authentic gear I've put together.

Thanks for giving me the time to rant. lol

Rick, I am so glad you have found your way here.  I have fond memories of the old Fort Des Moines Rangers.  They put on the first NCOWS conventions I attended.  I have many great Pards who were members. I was sad when they chose to leave, prompted I'm sure by one of our past NCOWS Marshals :(.   It was happy when Len Ables told me they were starting up the Phoenix posse (what and appropriate name).  I don't shoot as much as I once did but I sure enjoy spending my time with Old Friends.  Let me know when you get access to the members only child board

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2010, 10:37:13 AM »

Rick:

Very glad to see you here and my hat's off to your loyalty and commitment to NCOWS.
Folks like you who recognize the outfit for what it truly stands for are the strength and soul of our organization.

As you have said, there are many great folks in this outfit -- and they're the ones that make it all worthwhile.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:31 PM »
I'm glad that I stuck with NCOWS too. It is great to see people who care about the history of the west as well as getting together and shooting the authentic and reproductions of the guns. I just can't get into the TV type outfits that some groups allow. I loved John Wayne and Roy Rodgers too but some of those TV western guys looked a little like a san fran gay rights parade. lol

I know summer is running by as fast as a shy nudest trying to get to some cover, but I still hope to make it to one of the shoots this year and meet up with some of you guys. The sad thing is my guns are clean but I'm a bit rusty. I need to derust myself and get back in the saddle, so to speak.

Sorry for the long breaks in between my visits. I try to come on when life and time allows. Maybe with fall coming on now I'll have more time to be on the puter.

Thanks one and all.
Rick.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2010, 06:33:28 AM »
RickB, you're not the only one who visits intermittently - we ALL do from time to time.

As I said to Charles Issac, you're most welcome here and also certainly welcome to our Indiana clubs in particular.  Then there's our Ken-tuck brothers who are also a great bunch.  And then ...

Well, you get the picture!  Come and join the fun!

Offline whiskers

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
I have intended to go to an NCOWS shoot for a long time.  I am tired of the competition in SASS and was looking for something with more fun and less complaining.  I just attended the SW Regional put on by the Texas Ten Horns and I had a great time.  The atmosphere is laid back and competition is second to FUN. Nobody left the range when the match was over, just stayed for good stories and good food.  The food was great and the match was a hoot.  Looking forward to more NCOWS matches in the furure.

Whiskers (don't have a NCOWS number yet but I joined with my wife Sidekick)
NRA Benefactor Member
SASS 39120
NRA Whittington Center Founders Club Member
NRA Whittington Center Gun Club Life Member
Western Action Fun Shooter

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
Whiskers,

Glad that you found out how much fun that NCOWS can be.  Them 10 Horns are a great bunch of fellows.  Hope that you can make it to the Nationals in Evansville in June.  Great area for camping and reasonable hotels near by!   ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline whiskers

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »
I'll have to check my schedule. I have already cocmitted to the OWSA shoot in Raton in June, but may be able to work in both, will check dates.

Whiskers
Gatlin Gun Cowboy
NRA Benefactor Member
SASS 39120
NRA Whittington Center Founders Club Member
NRA Whittington Center Gun Club Life Member
Western Action Fun Shooter

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
"Skirts"?
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »
You mean I'm going to get a rough ride from the unwashed, unlettered, uncouth SASS-enachs if I wear my beautiful Scottish-made kilt in my family's tartan?
Grant and I will simply form a 'Thin Red Line' and beat off the rabble ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2011, 06:40:40 PM »
If it was not sooooooooooo far, I would don my 95th Regt. of Foot [Rifles] kit and join ya!  Ya can't have too many uniforms!!  ::)  :D  :o  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline c.o.jones

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
I'M A MEMBER OF THE KANSAS VIGILANCE  COMMITTEE. WHAT BROUGHT  ME TO KVC ORIGINALLY WAS THE CAMPING OUT. NOTHING IS BETTER THAN SITTING AROUND A CAMPFIRE WITH GOOD FRIENDS, TELLING STORIES, LISTENING TO LIES AND SIPPING BAD WHISKEY.  AUTHENTICITY ABOUT MY GEAR AND CAMP IS A NEVERENDING CHALLENGE. BUT IT'S ALL GOOD. TO ME SHOOTING IS SECONDARY. IF I SHOOT GOOD, THATS FINE. IF I SHOOT BAD, THATS FINE TOO. NCOWS IS A GOOD ORGANIZATION. HATS OFF TO YOU BOYS.            C.O. JONES
NCOWS 1097
Kansas Vigilance Committee
SASS 5610 Life
NRA Life
VFW Life
USMC Forever

Offline Windy City Joe

• If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »
“Ditto” with the sitting around the campfire with good friends.
Windy City Joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com