Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS  (Read 401064 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »
Buckskin
Great pictures , as usual . Do yawl barbeque those Beavers ? They are mighty tasty  that way . 

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
Rowdy, I don't know about the beaver,but the coon would be. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
TJ
If you aint ate Barbecue Beaver you have missed out . But it don't taste like chicken .  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 07:40:55 AM »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »
Howdy
There is a rumor that Powder Inc. is going to have Vintage ammo for our Hunters . As soon as I know the facts will post for everyone . If we can get them to do this , that will be great . Now who has the best looking Hunting Outfit , just snap a picture and show us .  ;D ;D ;D

Offline buckskin billy

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »
Buckskin
Great pictures , as usual . Do yawl barbeque those Beavers ? They are mighty tasty  that way . 

well you got  bar b q beaver, smoked beaver, boiled beaver, fried beaver ;D. bbq beaver aint near bad but i usually freeze the carcass and save it for bait. bobcats are kookoo for beaver meat. i perfer coon over beaver anyhows but coon meat is saleing for 8 bucks a pop i rarely keep any for myself.

doubt any one wants to see my hunting out fit. my old brain tanned pants are bloody and grimy and will almost stand up by thereself and have a pleasing fragrance  of smoked beaver castor and doe in heat ;)
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
Buckskin
Now that's what I call a Vintage Hunting Outfit . Does Louisiana have a Bear season ? And if it does do you Bear Hunt .

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
no there aint no bear season yet. at the 2011 louisiana trapping convention the powers that be said they were planning on having a lottery bear hunt by 2014, but it would be south of i-10. im a long way from from there. im right outside of monroe.
 i see one every once in awhiles. a guy i know had one pictured on one of those trail cameras not far from where i hunt.. i sure would like to draw a bead on one sometime
-Ted Nugent-

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
Buckskin
We have  had a Bear season for the last couple of years . There is Hunting over in the Eastern part of the state , that's also where they released the Elk . What a dream , go to the Mountains and kill a Bear and a  Elk . Now there would be enough meat for the winter . Wonder if there would be enough leather in a Elk to make a Hunting Frock ?

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
rowdy , it takes a pretty good elk to make a coat out of it.

this is a bull elk i started brain tanning for a guy and haven't finished yet. i hope to get back on it this fall. the hide measures out to be just a little shy of 40 square feet. im six foot 1 inches tall and that frame is 11 foot square. this picture is taken right after i scraped the hair off. just to give you a idea of the size of the hide.

here is a picture of my braintanned hunting frock i made from 4 deer hides that measured 10 square feet each. as you can see the frock is right at  waist length and i had to get a little creative on laying out the pattern. this'll give you a idea of what you're getting out of 40 square feet of animule flesh

-Ted Nugent-

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
Buckskin
Again great pictures . The weather tomorrow is picture perfect for the Red Brush shoot . I plan on wearing Elk skin pants and my buckskin shirt . And I plan on shooting Outlaw class IF they will let us . I plan on shooting my 44wcf in rifle and pistols . I guess I better bring my shotgun along in case they have a problem with the Outlaw Class . Will try to get a picture to post .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
Howdy
What  would a vintage hunter carry with him , say on a 3 day hunt . Rifle, ammo, knife, possibly a pistol . The late Ben Lilly traveled lite , they claim he carried little or almost no food . When he killed something he would basically founder himself . What do we really know about what they did a140 plus years ago ?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »
Rowdy,

This is just my opinion, but, I would assume, (we all know about opinions and assumptions) it would depend a great deal on the type of hunting you were doing.
Example; upland bird hunting compared to Buff hide hunting.
Just a thought on my part...
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »
Blair
Upland bird or waterfowl any kind of hunting can be Vintage hunting . You can even do a vintage squirrel or rabbit hunt .  ;D

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »
Rowdy,

Sorry, for intruding.

Enjoy! ;D ;)
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
Hey Rowdy ,when I figure out what is gonna go huntin and what is gonna stay . I`ll try to send a pic . I will bet they will not be as nice as Buckskin Billys . Just joking BB. PS. Hey Rowdy ,I cant wait for rifle season either Amigo !

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
Dusty
The cool mornings have started causing me to dream  about the Monster Buck in the swamp . Now ole Swamp Buck is a monster that is seldom seen . He is able to stay out of sight and when he's seen it's only for a few seconds . Some say he is the spirit of a Indian Chief that guards  the swamp others say he is only a myth . I was hunting once and saw him chasing a doe and by the time I raised my rifle they were gone .
Muzzle loading season opens in late October , I got my ole smoke pole out and fired it a couple times . Had to get some patching material . I usually use pillow ticking , but they were out so I tried some canvas . It's thicker and seems to work better for a tighter shot group . I have taken 19 deer with this ole muzzle loader . When people say that round balls won't shoot through a deer what are they thinking ?

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
Dusty
The cool mornings have started causing me to dream  about the Monster Buck in the swamp . Now ole Swamp Buck is a monster that is seldom seen . He is able to stay out of sight and when he's seen it's only for a few seconds . Some say he is the spirit of a Indian Chief that guards  the swamp others say he is only a myth . I was hunting once and saw him chasing a doe and by the time I raised my rifle they were gone .
Muzzle loading season opens in late October , I got my ole smoke pole out and fired it a couple times . Had to get some patching material . I usually use pillow ticking , but they were out so I tried some canvas . It's thicker and seems to work better for a tighter shot group . I have taken 19 deer with this ole muzzle loader . When people say that round balls won't shoot through a deer what are they thinking ?

round balls has probadly killed more critters than any other kind of bullet.
 we had us some nice cool weather about a week ago, but that left. the humidity has come back and the temp is pushing up in the mid 90's. got a rendezvous next weekend and if'n this weather dont cool off any rendezvous is gonna be miseriable
-Ted Nugent-

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
Howdy
Just wondering do you carry a sidearm with you while hunting . usually I carry a pistol during Deer season . During that time I like to carry my prewar 44wcf from USFA . Muzzle loader season comes in about 3 weeks , and rifle season comes in about 5 weeks . Hope everyone is ready , before you know it we will be at Hunting Camp . If it quits raining I plan on shooting my rifle today,practice , practice , practice .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »
I used to carry a Pietta 1858 during muzzle loader season. Now I have a ROA that I carry.

Side arms vary during modern gun and they are not usually a NCOWS approved weapon. It depends on where I'm hunting and whatever I take the notion to carry with me. They range from Super Blackhawk 44mag, Super Redhawk 44 mag, SRH 480 Ruger, or a scoped SRH 480 Ruger. Once in a while I'll carry a Taurus Raging Bull with a red dot scope in 480 Ruger.

Can you tell I like the 480 Ruger round? ;D

A lot of times if I'm woods hunting and don't plan on getting over a 50 yard shot or so I'll just take a scoped handgun.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
Cliff
You need to slip your 44wcf rifle out to the woods and lay a few down .That's what we mean by SMOKED venison  ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com