Author Topic: M1865 Burnside Spencer incoming  (Read 875 times)

Offline 00-28

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
M1865 Burnside Spencer incoming
« on: March 23, 2023, 04:31:52 PM »
Hello, I’m Mike and new here. Just getting started with vintage carbines and plan on getting these to into shooting condition. I have a M1865 Burnside Spencer carbine coming in a few days that will need the center fire top block conversion. I’ll keep you posted. I also have a M1853 Sharps that I’m working on, just ordered calipers to make sure everything fits right. Already have what’s needed to make paper cartridges. Having trouble getting the nipple loose from the block and don’t know what size nipple wrench to get. That’s all that left for a thorough cleaning. Don’t worry, not altering any original finish or patina, keeping it all original.

I made a mistake once, but it was someone else’s fault.

Offline 00-28

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: M1865 Burnside Spencer incoming
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 05:52:19 PM »
I’ll get more pictures later when I figure this sizing thing out.

Offline 00-28

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 07:32:16 PM »
More

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:33:58 AM »

Offline shilohdiver

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 06:25:49 PM »
great looking carbines......I have one of each myself...would you share how you are making paper cartridges for the sharps...I make them but its a very slow process with a lot of variables...im hoping you have a better way. 

Offline 00-28

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 09:56:17 AM »
Hi Shilohdiver, thanks for the compliment. I am just starting out experimenting, googled m1853 Sharps cartridges and found Star and Bullock, ( cartridgekits.com ). I watched their YouTube video and that gave me an idea of what’s involved in making paper cartridges. I bought one of their loading kits and some .54 cal Richmond bullets. Now the fun begins. I’m getting calipers today because so much is involved in getting this right. Th bullet is too big for the bore, which may be correct, but I don’t know by how much. I remember loading BP pistols and seating the ball, it was tight and left lead shavings when seated. I also need to figure out the load, best black powder, length of chamber, ( I’ll make a cartridge and mark the edge of the chamber ), and I’m sure there will be many more questions to be answered as I go along. That’s why I’m here, hoping to get some advice from the experienced shooters here, and who knows, share what I’m learning along the way. This is a new hobby for me, I’ll see where it leads. Thanks in advance.

Hope I haven’t overstepped my bounds, is it OK to discuss Sharps on this Spencer site. My intention is to share my Spencer when it arrives and discuss a center fire conversion that will soon follow.

Offline shilohdiver

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 07:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip on cartrigekits.com...never knew such a kit was out there...Im going to give it a try..all the best getting the burnside shooting.  S and S out of NY and Dixie Gun Works sells conversion blocks when they were in stock. Had a buddy get one last year and he had to get on a back order list and they eventually called him from dixie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com