CAS TOPICS > The Darksider's Den

Substitutes

(1/5) > >>

Tascosa Joe:
This is sort of in the dumb question arena.  I have been shooting BP since the mid '70s but the only substitute I have used is Pyrodex, and I after I figured out you could not make a flint lock go bang with it, I never used it again.  How much grunge do powders like Triple 7 and APP produce?

River City John:
More grunge with Triple 7 than APP.

Johnson Barr:
Triple 7 is designed for modern in-line muzzle loading rifles, the 209 primer type. Very hot in percussion pistols and cartridge conversions. APP comes closer for the same grain by volume charges of real black. Goex Pinnacle was produced by APP, the difference was that the Goex product was dyed black to more closely replicate real BP color. It is no longer available. The APP product is a grayish color. I still have a goodly store of the Goex that still shoots well and cleans up with ammonia based products like Windex and such cleaners. Way less corrosive  than the Pyrodex-rust-your-gun-crap!   

Advertising:

Cliff Fendley:
APP really isn't bad in the grunge department. Triple 7 leaves a hard crusty stuff that is sort of hard to clean. I've only used the later in modern inline muzzle loaders. I shot quite a bit of APP a few years back because I got some essentially free and found I liked it far better than other subs. I remember feeling like I thought the APP was not as powerful as Pyrodex or real BP. That said I did not crony any loads, my assumption was merely based on recoil of the guns and the report on steel targets. Plenty fine for CAS.

Abilene:
APP definitely leaves less fouling in the bore than BP.  I have used some 777 in .38's for rifle some years back because it was easy to find locally.  777 in a .38 seemed to recoil about the same as FFFg BP in a .357 in that rifle.  APP is the most popular sub for good reason.  But hardly any stores carry it so usually you will have to mail order, then you get into hazmat, etc.  Natchez is carrying Shooter's World Multi-Black (made by APP for Shooter's World).  I finally ran out of the can of APP that I opened in 2013  :) so I added a few cans of Multi-Black to my Natchez order when I was ordering primers and other powder. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version