Author Topic: Master Cement  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Master Cement
« on: July 09, 2022, 03:45:46 PM »
For years I have used Barge Cement for leather working. For many years I wouldn't use anything else. The last quart of it I bought is almost worthless, though. It doesn't get tacky like it should after a couple coats. It just goes from wet to dry. It won't bond at all. It never gets to the tacky stage. To get it to hold, I have to hammer the holy heck out of it, going back every couple minutes and hammering it again, numerous times, until it finally bonds. I have no idea  how it will hold over time.

Last week, in the search for decent cement, I ordered some Master Cement made by Petronio.

Yesterday it arrived and I gave it a try. Two coats, stick together when at the tacky stage and it bonds instantly. I set it with a cobbler's hammer like I've always done. It worked just like Barge used to. I'm pleased and thought I'd pass the word on in case someone is having the same issue with Barge as me. I know there are other good brands of contact cement that work but I've tried a few different ones and haven't been satisfied with them. It seems to be available from numerous suppliers. I got an 8 oz can to try. Next time I get it, I'll order a quart from one of the leather supply houses.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline leatherjunkie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Master Cement
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 10:22:39 AM »
Masters cement has been my go to for a while. Last Dec I bought a quart of Barge cement cause it was half the price.
It worked well and still using it today.

you may have got a bad batch of barge. i would contact them about this.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 02:39:13 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I have not had any problems with Barge yet. I use the yellow and orange cans.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:21:59 AM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 06:32:53 PM »
Masters cement has been my go to for a while. Last Dec I bought a quart of Barge cement cause it was half the price.
It worked well and still using it today.

you may have got a bad batch of barge. i would contact them about this.

A bad batch is possible. I do like the Master and will probably stay with it.

Thanks for the heads up. I have not had any problems with Barge yet. I use the yellow and orange cans.

That's the same stuff. I'm really impressed with the Master, though.

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 10:34:22 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I have been using the Barge sold by ACE hardware for about $8 a tube but someone told me a while back that today's Barge uses a different formula, not the same as years ago.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 01:52:07 PM »
Glad to hear you're going to give it a try. Post back how it compares for you. I figure that the EPA had a hand in them changing the formulation. I don't see why Barge doesn't have it figured out when Petronio gets it to work with the regs these days but that's the way it seems to be.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 12:57:11 PM »
I started a new can of Barge about two months ago. No issues, works like it always did. However, it would not surprise me at all if the formulation didn't change to something that doesn't work as well. Seems to be the trend.
SASS #81,827

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 03:18:43 PM »
I wonder if the formulation for California is different than other areas.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 12:46:41 PM »
Weldwood is the way to go. Yep same stuff for countertops. Barge is not as good as it used to be years ago. Weldwood you will tear the leather if you have to get it apart.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 02:07:05 PM »
Thanks for that, Cliff. Barge used to be amazing stuff. I glued a friends wallet with the stuff and 10 years later, his wallet fell apart but the glue line held fast. If Weldwood will tear the leather, it's like Barge used to be.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 08:09:07 PM »
Thanks for that, Cliff. Barge used to be amazing stuff. I glued a friends wallet with the stuff and 10 years later, his wallet fell apart but the glue line held fast. If Weldwood will tear the leather, it's like Barge used to be.

Yes sir Marshal, I feel like the Weldwood works similar to the way Barge used to. I'm not sure if it was gradual or what but at some point I just noticed it didn't seem like Barge stuck like it always did. I'm almost certain it was Chuck Burrows that told me about using Weldwood. I worked in construction and built houses it was used on countertops and such so I had been around Weldwood for years but I never thought of using it on leather until he said something about it but sure enough if you read it says for use on leather. I've been using Weldwood on leather for years now.

Johnson County Rangers

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 11:22:28 PM »
Yes sir Marshal, I feel like the Weldwood works similar to the way Barge used to. I'm not sure if it was gradual or what but at some point I just noticed it didn't seem like Barge stuck like it always did. I'm almost certain it was Chuck Burrows that told me about using Weldwood. I worked in construction and built houses it was used on countertops and such so I had been around Weldwood for years but I never thought of using it on leather until he said something about it but sure enough if you read it says for use on leather. I've been using Weldwood on leather for years now.
I've used it for counter tops, too. Thanks for mentioning it. I may even have some in the garage. If so, I'll test some out.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2022, 09:55:54 PM »
Hi

I've used Weldwood on wood also, but I've slept since then, a lot, do you let the weldwood bet tacky like Barge or just tap it down like putting the top layer of plywood or particle board on your floor?
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 09:39:08 AM »
Hi

I've used Weldwood on wood also, but I've slept since then, a lot, do you let the weldwood bet tacky like Barge or just tap it down like putting the top layer of plywood or particle board on your floor?
Later
I put a layer on both sides and let it get tacky like you would use Barge. When you put the two together make sure it's lined up because there usually isn't a second chance.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 08:17:43 AM »
Marshal, I just opened up my latest can of Barge and the consistency is definitely different than my previous cans of it. It's thinner and less sticky right out of the can. It spreads better and easier but does take a tad longer to set. Seems to work well enought though through this first holster set I have done with it.

I will monitor it closely in case I run into any issues.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 08:53:45 AM »
Being thinner when you opened the new can could just be because some of the solvents had evaporated out of the old can from being open when you used it. I've found that I often have to thin it as the can gets used up. My working glue bottle doesn't seem to seal well and it always gets thickened even f I don't use it for a while. You have to make sure those caps are snug when you close the can.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com