Author Topic: Coffee and Tea on a very Independent July  (Read 11711 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Coffee and Tea on a very Independent July
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2022, 09:48:26 PM »
I like the old North Afrika Corps guy.   He should have had sunscreen. ;D  They say a lot of those guys ended up looking very old due to the sun.

Forgot to tell you I did 57 minutes on my machine yesterday, last 17 minutes I went to 8.   Was going to make the whole hour but went from mild perspiration to where my shirt started getting wet spots so I quit because that is the breaking point for fat old men with heart problems.  Will start at 8 in a day or  so and quit when I need to, hope to get in the pool after with Rita but have a rash thing on my left arm, not sure what it is but doubt it needs in the pool or the pool needs it just in case it is flesh eating bacteria or something like that, it looks better, been iodining it and then when dry cortisone over it.  Need to search out another bottle or 3, getting hard to get unless I want a pint or more at Tractor Supply. ::)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2022, 03:28:47 AM »
I don't know if I showed you guys what one of my projects is, anyone on FB can read and share stuff.  Despite all the BS there it has some uses and this works good because I don't have to copy and paste and find pictures when someone needs help.     

It's a public FB group so anyone can read and share, how ever I am the only one allowed to post in it so lets say I was doing how to make doughnuts some doughnut hole can post they bought doughnuts on the way to work or other equally stupid things.

New stuff goes to the top then once a moth or so I bump things around and get them in order again.  If the post has only one picture it's like a book mark and relates to the next posts till you find another single. 

I will try to turn this into my first book by next spring, planning on self publishing because paying some would not be an advantage because till you get well known you pay to publish and I can distribute it myself, have Riley lick stamps.  This will be a smaller book for the average person wanting to learn dutch oven cooking and since I used to sell books on dutch oven cooking I must say I'm real positive it will be the best on the market. Should be some over 100 pages, depending on how many pictures I use.  Will also do an electronic publish also, then the amount of pictures is not that big of a deal.

A couple people have told me it's dumb to post this stuff on the net because someone will steal it, hell if they wanted to "i'd give it to them because the idea is not to let my knowledge die when I do, all I'd ask would be credit for it. ::)  Actually will try to get the copyright on it by the new year.  Another place to get ripped off anyone can copyright for $40, the standard rate is $200-500 for the rip,off artists, a good scam.

The second one will be the full historic reference and looks like maybe 500 pages give or take and is in the full draft.  I have made arrangements for the kids to finish it if I can't.  Also myyoungest daughter has been told to copy all my notes and pictures to anyone who will pay her for a flash drive and postage. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/606494777062616

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2022, 03:48:02 AM »
Sample of what it is, a fun one using science, science can make you a better cook.  If you are on FB it's a good look over, and is an example of what FB can be if used right, a free platform that helps me reach a fairly large audience, I'm having hundreds of people reading this material and are glad to be helped,I need to look into doing videos, best would be someone local that wants to  gain fame and glory by putting both names on it. ::)

Why you can’t make bread like Grandma’s

How many times have you heard someone say that they just can’t make bread like their grandma, many times even mentioning they have the recipe grandma wrote down for them? Most times if the person is any kind of a cook, the bread they make is fine; it just doesn’t have quite the taste of Grandma’s.

When ever anyone mentions this, something I discovered many years ago comes to mind, my brother loves homemade bread, but he had told me one time that it was good, very good, but just didn’t taste like Grandma’s bread did and he was right. He wanted to know if I had Grandma’s recipe, but she never used one that I ever saw, not for just plain old white bread, she just mixed it up, they way I do it, a couple tablespoon’s of lard, maybe a teaspoon or so of sugar, a dash of salt and work in enough flour for a stiff dough.

Well as I started traveling around with my cook camp, I noticed that my bread tasted different at different places, not a lot, but it was different, none of which was exactly like Grandma’s. I realized the places I went to had well water, and depending on where it was, it tasted different. I also remember a class I had on water treatment years before I remembered something from the class, a lot of national brands of many items uses water treatment to make them taste the same where ever they are made.

I also remembered Grandma’s bread was never quite the same after she moved to town. What I did the next time we were hunting at the farm was to use the water out of the well. The well has very old pipes and a slight nitrate level, not serious, but we just haul our drinking water from Lincoln and refill at the neighbors who has a much better well. At supper time, my brother went over to the dutch oven full of bread, got himself a couple large pieces, covered it with butter and took a bite. The look on his face was priceless, “you did find Grandma’s recipe!”
I had to tell him again, there was no written down recipe I’d ever seen. “You had better remember what you did different, this is Grandma’s bread.” I explained what I had done and now when I’m at the farm I use the water from the well.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 05:13:11 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2022, 05:18:20 AM »
Downloading is working a bit better in the wee hours
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2022, 06:28:53 AM »
more cool stuff

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2022, 07:32:44 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are ready.

'Tis 66 and overcast. "Humid. Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the middle 80s. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2022, 11:38:50 AM »
Downloading is working a bit better in the wee hours

Stuff often does then, that's why if  I have research to do I often have a late night cup and write then,  Sometimes I swear I have more open windows than a trailer house on a hot afternoon, not all on the net but I will have FB minimalized because spammers operate a lot that time and most spammers don't even last a 1/2 hour if they make it through.  I'm usually up till at least one, Chet in NC starts coffee about 4 and even at that one of us old retired guys are still up. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2022, 07:15:30 AM »
Morning y'all.

'Tis 62 and sunny. "Mostly sunny in the morning  then partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80s. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2022, 04:01:23 AM »
I'm up, went to bed about Midnite and now I'm wide awake, working on an article for The Home Front Herald, got writers block yesterday, it's due Aug 1 so I have time plenty.  Went to bed thinking about it and woke up with some ideas, not that unusual or a least for me. 

I'll put a pot on if someone wants one, bought a gallon of Mt Olive whole dill pickles at Costco and low and behold a gallon glass jar, scarce in this era and free because the kid and I ate the pickles and it was only $4.99.  Anyway washed it up, got rid if the pickle smell and made my first batch of sun tea in about 35 years.  I refuse to pay what they want for a sun tea jar at the store.  Not much different between it and brewed tea, in the era it was popular I think only a few made brewed tea and I never seen the big difference, So I'll play with it, dropped a handful of dried oranges in it like I do my brewed tea and it is good.

Food Bank gives up bags of the juice type oranges, the plain old smaller ones with seeds, I dry and vacuum seal them along with any bought ones that age a bit.  Wife will buy some then decide they are sour or she has canger sores from her fake teeth and I dry them. 

Anything around here don't get et in a day or so gets dried or vacuum sealed an froze, quite handy and saves money.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2022, 07:28:21 AM »
Morning y'all.

'Tis 58 and overcast. High of 75.

Slim

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2022, 04:47:16 PM »
Afternoon all, been busy here the last couple of days. Starting a portable N scale model train layout for demoing to kids and re-learning what I forgot in the last 30 years. Anyways, things are hot round here 95 right now, feels like 103 and no break in sight except they say Sunday should ONLY be 92!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2022, 05:03:20 PM »
Afternoon all, been busy here the last couple of days. Starting a portable N scale model train layout for demoing to kids and re-learning what I forgot in the last 30 years. Anyways, things are hot round here 95 right now, feels like 103 and no break in sight except they say Sunday should ONLY be 92!

Interesting DeaconKC. This past Winter I started a small-ish switching layout in HO Standard and HOn3 to finally experiment with DCC. Up to now it's been old school analog with block controls and plain power packs.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2022, 05:10:47 PM »
Forgot to post this...

Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2022, 07:32:21 AM »
Morning y'all.

'Tis 60 and sunny. High of 80.

Slim

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2022, 02:49:35 PM »
Well 97 here right now, supposed to get to 99. Nephew and his family got in last night, he's performing a wedding Sunday in NE Indiana, so we will have all 3 kids this weekend. One additonial g'niece will be coming over to be with the cousins, so this place will be happily noisy. Uncle Kevin and Aunt Sue Sue enjoy spoiling them all.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2022, 07:38:04 AM »
Morning y'all.

'Tis 54 and rain. "Showers and a chance of thunderstorms in the morning  then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the lower 70s. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent."

Slim

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2022, 08:00:08 AM »
Had to clean my Lathe, on the last project the carriage movement was stiff do to metal chips and Gack!
Also, I ordered an upgrade 3 jaw chuck which should be here in 2 days or so. 

I other news, I revamped the ACW exhibit at the museum for fresh look (re-dressed and re-presented items in glass case displays) move same around in the area, and hung Mort Kunstler & Dale Gallon framed prints.

I'll begin construction on the WW1 trench exhibit next week, when construction materials arrive.
Once that is complete all exhibits (eras, areas and interpretive(s)) will have a fresh new revised look.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2022, 11:48:59 AM »
Morning y'all.

'Tis 73 and partly sunny. High of 80.

Slim

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2022, 01:55:33 PM »
From Jonathans Grandmother

My daughter's words not mine.
Johny update: good morning everyone. As you know johny had internal bleeding issues a couple days back. Because of this his liver and kidneys had to shift over to make room for all the blood in his tummy. So his bilirubin levels are now high because the liver is in overdrive. He has a yellow tint to him. The liver docs has started him on liver meds and Monday he has a CT scan on the liver to make sure these meds are working. So now the valve surgery on his heart is on hold until his body can heal from the bleeding and the shifting of all his tummy parts. It will take some time for his his body to naturally get rid of all this blood and his liver and kidneys to move back into thier natural spots. He remain on his heart failure meds until this happens and them we can move forward to fix his heart. The pace making is holding his rhythm well and the heart failure meds are working to keep him going very well at this point.. We are praying that the valve surgery will fix the leak and give him some more time before he needs a new heart. Next week will be spent recovering from that bleed and getting him up to walk and making sure we keep him strong walking wise. This weekend is for rest. It went from having a pacemaker installed to a lot of craziness this last month but I believe in my heart that in the end johny will come out stronger then ever...I love you all. Keep the prayers flowing. This kiddo is strong. The prayers mean so much to him and my family.i love you all and have a blessed day.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2022, 07:16:27 AM »
Morning y'all.

I'll continue to pray for Jonathan.

'Tis 55, cloudy and fog. "Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the middle 80s. Light and variable wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the afternoon."

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com