Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The American Plainsmen Society

Early CVA Mountain Rifles: Sort of authentic?

(1/5) > >>

Niederlander:
Gentlemen,  Are the early CVA Mountain Rifles sort of authentic?  Not saying I want to buy one or anything, but I've noticed when looking at different rifles that the CVA ones with two wedges, German Silver nose cap, etc. look a lot more authentic than the T/C's, Investarms, etc.  The major detractor I see is the patch box.  Who actually built them, and what sort of quality were they?

Kent Shootwell:
CVA has always made a inexpensive guns, this one is one of the less poorly made ones. I d call it a half stock rifle and having two wedges doesn't make it a Hawken anymore then four tires makes a car a Corvette.
I ve seen a few original rifles from the 1800s that are nearly dead ringers for a TC but they aren’t  Hawkins either. Take a look at the thread on California rifles , there’s one pictured that shows this.

Niederlander:
In doing some research I found there was already a thread here on the CVA Mountain Rifles.  Would still appreciate comments, though.

Advertising:

Niederlander:

--- Quote from: Kent Shootwell on October 11, 2021, 08:31:44 AM ---CVA has always made a inexpensive guns, this one is one of the less poorly made ones. I%u2019d call it a half stock rifle and having two wedges doesn%u2019t make it a Hawken anymore then four tires makes a car a Corvette.
I%u2019ve seen a few original rifles from the 1800s that are nearly dead ringers for a TC but they aren%u2019t Hawkins either. Take a look at the thread on California rifles , there%u2019s one pictured that shows this

--- End quote ---
They don't necessarily need to be Hawkens.  There were many rifles in the west made by others than Hawken and the other common makers.  I'm just asking if they're a somewhat authentic rifle for the time period.

Reverend P. Babcock Chase:
Howdy ML fans,

The CVA Mountain Rifle went through some transitions. The first models were made in Spain with some odd type of "walnut" stock and a rough rifled barrel. Then the guns were transitioned to a US made maple stock and a unique form of rifled barrel. The locks, set triggers and hardware were all made in Spain. These guns (especially as well made kits) were really good shooters. They even won a special "grudge" match at the NMLRA championships one year. I know this because I was in charge of the Mountain Rifle upgrade program at CVA at the time. Incidentally, the original CVA Mountain Rifle prototype was created by the respected gun builder: Don Kammerer and production models followed his design very faithfully.   

Later guns were assembled in Spain. I can't speak to those as I had moved on at that time. Those Maple stocked guns were a great value at the time and were good shooters after the lock and triggers were properly tuned.

Rev. Chase

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version