Special Interests - Groups & Societies > RATS

45 Schofield in 45 Colt

<< < (3/7) > >>

Coffinmaker:

:)  Dave T   ;)

That "Ordinance Department" round you cite was actually for all practical purposes, a 45 Colt case, shortened to Schofield length, to be useable in both SAA and S&W handguns.  Was designated "45 Government"

Hide and Watch

Dave T:
Maker of Coffins,

I thought I kind of covered that, but I did not in fact rightly name it as you did.

For just a tad more info, the load they (Ordnance) settled on was 28g of 'gun powder' behind a 230g RNFP. It went about 850 fps and was the inspiration, ballisticly, for the 45 ACP cartridge of 1911. (grin)

Dave

Mustang Gregg:
Sorry.  RATS moderator here...
My router has been down for a week+.  I just now got the message.
The only issue that I can see is if the rims are possibly too big and the over long lead in a .45 Colt cylinder.
But at SASS distance, WTH??

MG

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:)  Hey Treebeard   ;)

A thought.  If your not wrapped around the "Authentic" axel, there is an even better option.  Cowboy 45 Special.  Cute Lil cartridge.  Absolutely perfect for reduced smokeless (gag, choke, puke) loading and absolutely the Beez Kneez for BP (what it was designed for).  160Gr bullets are nice indeed and 130Gr Barnstormer bullets are just SUPERB!!  Just a Thought in passing.  Same Rim diameter as 45 Colt.

Hide and Watch

1961MJS:
HI
I haven't had this issue YET, but its been said that running shorter cartridges in a cylinder will make it difficult to load say a .357 Mag after you've been shooting .38 Specials, or load a .45 Colt when you've been shooting .45 Schofield.  You have to do a good job of cleaning the cylinder when you get done with the match.

Later

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version