Special Interests - Groups & Societies > 1860 Henry

Converting original 1866 to center fire

(1/15) > >>

DJ:
I have an 1866 I would like to shoot and was wondering if anyone has converted an original to center fire.  Before I ruffle any feathers, let me say that I have acquired a spare original bolt with extractor and firing pin as well as spare firing pin extension ("piston"), so at most I am looking to modify spare parts rather than the originals that came in the gun.

What I'm interested in is the technique used for the conversion.  Unlike an 1973, which has a flat bolt face with a hole in it for the firing pin, the '66 bolt has a fairly large hole bored all the way through, and the firing pin extension also acts as a substantial part of the bolt face.  The two ideas that come to mind are to plug the face of the bolt and then run a firing pin through the plug or to shorten the firing pin extension and build a new center-fire pin similar to the existing rimfire pin.  The latter would have the benefit of reducing or eliminating modifications to my existing spare parts.  But I am concerned about headspace and primers maybe backing out if more than half the surface of the bolt face can move back several thousandths of an inch under recoil.  I've never heard of that being a problem in the original design, but I wonder if a separate primer would make it an issue.

The '73 is on the left in each of the first two photos (yes, it's an Uberti, but will suffice for my purposes) and the '66 is on the right.  The third photo shows the '66 bolt and the removed ignition assembly. (original post was modified to add photos and descriptions of photos).

If you have experience or insights regarding this conversion I would appreciate hearing back.

Thanks--

--DJ

Tuolumne Lawman:
About 20 years ago, a CAS City member named Charley Gullet created a centerfire 1866.  It all started with a relic 1866 receiver and lifter I sent him, crusted in the rusty remains of the barrel and innards.  He submerged it in some kind of acid that attacked the rust, but left the bronze (gunmetal) receiver and lifter intact.  He used heavily modified 1873 parts, except the barrel, which was an original 1866 barrel.  He used 41 Magnum brass to fabricate the cases, and had a special heeled bullet mold made .442" for the bore.

I do not remember any more details, and Charley dropped out of CAS around 12-15 years ago.  It was a slick little weapon and a real show stopper.

Around the same time Charley did his, I knew another shooter that had an original 1866 Center Fire.  He used a different case for the round, something like a 41 Colt.

Tuolumne Lawman:
I just had a flash.  Charley published one or two books on CAS, and I believe they had his contact info and real name in the covers.  I don't think I still have mine, but some long time member might have a copy and could check for you.  

Hey Coffinmaker, do you have a copy?  You were in the posse back then.

Advertising:

Coal Creek Griff:
I did a little checking.  Charly is associated with Warfield Press in Prescott.  Their contact info is on their website,  in case it helps.

http://www.warfieldpress.com/   

CC Griff

Coffinmaker:
Hi Guys,

I remember Charley converting that rifle, and I know of his books.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy.  I also don't remember exactly how he converted the '66.  Had I both an original 1866 and an original 1873 and a pile of spare parts and my machine tools back inna shop, it would be a fun project.  Twould require some modified cartridge cases as well.

What I wouldn't give for a few thousand new manufacture 44 Henry Flat cartridges.  Then I'd also need an original '66 and a pair of original 1872 Open Top pistols.  Take that all you "Period Correct" posers.  O Odin hear my want!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version