Author Topic: Weapon storage  (Read 7292 times)

Offline OUTLAW

• the OUTLAW stranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Citizen
  • While OUTLAW'n in Tombstone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Weapon storage
« on: June 28, 2004, 11:19:24 AM »
Howdy there.  It's been quite a piece since y'all have heard from me.  Last time was when all these wires were just in one telegram.  hehe.  Anywho, I am a cleanin' my C&B pistoles and gittin' ready ta store 'em fer awhile.  should I just give 'em an extra spray of WD, put 'em in a bag, and figure that's good?

Thanks in advance.
 ??? ???
the OUTLAW stranger
aka Teddyearp
SASS #13717
formerly of Pinetop, AZ
Brother in the BOOM!  Preacher of the Holy Black, Soot Lord, etc.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Weapon storage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 08:40:14 PM »
Howdy Pard,

A lot depends on the enviroment that ya store them shooters in. I store my gunz in a gun safe with a "golden Rod" dehumidifier, but there ain't room in there fer alla my irons so sum of them are racked in the gun room. However my basement is a controled enviroment...it's heated & airconditioned...so it's not damp or anything like that. I take no special precautions when I put them away fer a spell. I do however check my guns every few weeks just to be on the safe side. Have found some surface rusting on a smokepole once, that I didn't clean good enuff, but no other problems ever cropped up during long term storeage.

So I'd say that the extra squirt of lube, along with an occassional check to make sure, should get ya by fine. But if yer storing them in a damper place I'd make a routine of checking them regularly and oiling them again when checked.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 10:17:24 PM »
If you are talking about long term storage where you won't be able to check on them.  I suggest RIG grease.  That's what it was designed for.  I would probably grease them real good, inside and out and then put them in a cloth case like the silicone ones they sell or maybe an old sock.  WD will evaporate over time and not provide much protection.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:25:54 AM »

Offline OUTLAW

• the OUTLAW stranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 08:35:10 AM »
Well, gents, I thank you.  I am going to be moving to SW Washington state, so it will be a bit moist.  I went ahead after cleaning yesterday and shot 'em with a little extra WD, then stuffed each one in a large plastic baggie, and returned them to their leather and case.  I imagine I will be able to check 'em from time to time, but Will, where can a feller get that RIG stuff?  I don't really have the means to get as controlled an environment as Cuts Crooked does. . . :-\
the OUTLAW stranger
aka Teddyearp
SASS #13717
formerly of Pinetop, AZ

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 05:53:40 PM »
You can order it from Midway or Brownells but most any sporting good store that sells gun cleaning gear should have it.  I'm a bit concerned about the ziplock.  It might provide  place for condensation.  That is why I suggest the silicone rug or a plainold sock.  The plastic bags that guns are shgipped in are treated to prevent rust.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 08:19:09 PM »
Howdy,

Bianchi, the holster company used to sell "blue bags" which were designed for handgun storage, treated inside, won't harm bluing and such. You might want to look for them.
I agree with Mr. Ketchum that WD40 is not for storage and perhaps should be rethought. Both Washingtons (D.C. & state) can be pretty humid places. I use Birchwood Casey Sheath, but live where it's pretty dry with a golden rod in the safes. People who live in Louisiana (who know a thing or two about humidity) laugh when I tell them Sheath works for me, and it works better than WD40 . . .
Standpat Steve, SASS #113, NCOWS #1468

Offline J.D. Stawker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 09:45:52 PM »
No No No No No No

Do not put your guns in plastic bags.  Only guns I ever had rust, even down here in the swamp land were ones in a container that could not breath. Water will condensate in the bag and you will get rust. 

Offline OUTLAW

• the OUTLAW stranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 09:56:13 AM »
 :o Well, I thank yee gents for all the good advise.  Reckon I'll have to get them out of the bags before this week is up.  I be on the road again for the northwest.  I will have to try to find that RIG grease when I get there.  The reason I figured on the bag idea was because that's what they were shipped from Cabela's in. :-\
the OUTLAW stranger
aka Teddyearp
SASS #13717
formerly of Pinetop, AZ

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 10:07:09 AM »
Maybe if you kept them in THOSE bags you would be alright.  It is my understanding that they are special bags that have been impregnated with rust inhibitor.   I received some guns in the bags but it still made me nervous.  I much prefer the silicone gun sacks to keep guns in.  They are pretty inexpensive.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com