Author Topic: Long vs short barrel question  (Read 7985 times)

38-72

Long vs short barrel question
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:29 AM »

What are your thoughts on a short barrel backhawk (say 6 inches) vs a longer barreled gun (say 10 to 12 inches or even longer) for shooting pistol long range targets?

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Long vs short barrel question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
All I know is my SBH 44 with 10.5" BBL is way more accurate at 100 yards than my 5" barreled model....

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »
In actuality the length of a barrel doesn't effect accuracy. It does greatly effect the sight radius. Usable accuracy might be the correct term. If any group of like guns having different barrel lengths were clamped into a vise they would shoot the same size group all other things being the same. Holding a gun all things aren't the same, the ability to hold the sights in alignment being 1 of the most important.  Generally this means that the longer the barrel, within reason, the better the chance you'll properly align the sights shot to shot.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:28:42 PM »

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
Yes I would agree with your philosophy. But in the end, as I see it, the longer barrel directly improves accuracy by aiding in sight radius and alignment. That's why a rifle shoots more accurate than a pistol - I'd venture to say the longer barrel improves velocity some too....

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 09:40:12 PM »

SF & DB, I do believe you are both right on this, even though both long and short tubes will both shoot well/ and straight, the longer tube will usually win out hands down, my Ruger 44 flat top is dead on accurate, and it's a 6 1/2" tube, my Dan Wesson 44 has an 8" tube, and is even more accurate, longer barreled handguns have always been more accurate for me, the longer sight radius tends to be the best for me and a lot of others, but if you look back at Elmer Kieth's record with a short barrel handgun, he could shoot right along with the long tubes and hold his own.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »
If you want to read a bit more on the subject - read 'Sixguns' by Elmer Keith.

What gives best accuracy is practice - period.

Keith had amazing accuracy with 4" barrelled revolvers, because he practiced constantly.

Most men don't get that sort of advantage - partly because ammunition is expensive and it's time-consuming - but if one 'can' devote some serious time - the results are gratifying.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:28:25 AM »
Elmer would shoot a lot of guns but usually carried the same gun for years putting thousands of round through it. As you say, practice makes perfect.

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
I agree... most of us shooters don't get to practice as much as we'd like.  That said, I have single action revolvers in barrel lengths from 7.5 inches down to my 3 inch Sheriff's model.  I shoot the long barrel ones a lot more accurately than the short ones.   ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »
Sight radius will affect the ability of a shooter to produce tight groups.  This is natural because the deflection of a longer barrel for a given error of sighting or shakiness produces less movement of the point of impact than will a shorter sight radius. A longer barrel also has more inertia than a shorter one.  So far as accuracy from a bench-rested handgun is concerned, one of the most accurate sixguns I've ever shot was a 4-3/4" original Colt's Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40).  But it was accurate more because the chamber throats in the replacement cylinder that was fitted to the gun for modern shooting had chamber throats the same diameter as the barrel groove diameter.

BUT...a longer barrel may also may be tougher to hold onto, as it affects the balance of the gun. It can also be tougher to maneuver in a tight situation. Of course, that isn't of great concern in Cowboy Action Shooting.

Frankly, I prefer the 7-1/2" for more distant shooting, and the 5-1/2" for handiness.  Your mileage may vary.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »
When I bought my Colt's I choose 5 1/2" barrel guns as kinda a compromise. A little longer for better balance and a touch more weight at the end of a barrel but short enough to handle well from the holster. I've been real happy with'm.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 11:39:34 AM »
 ;D  I started SASS with two 10.5" K-Super Blackies.  :o It was only because it is what I had on hand.  I never got a miss with them revolvers.  But I sure was way-slow on the draw.  
These days, I like my 5.5" Bisley Vaqueros for SASS-use.  I also like 4.6" Vaqueros.

A long sight radius is just not needed for most targets in cowboy action matches.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline rep1954

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »
I agree that when one looks at the mechcanics of a barrel that a short barrel is as accurate as a long barrel as long as bullet material, velocities, and weights are matched to the bore, rifling, twist, and groove diameter. Changing these things around can make a difference in barrels of the same length. That being said in the real world of people who pay the bulk of taxes and have to work many hours in non shooting jobs, long barrels are more accurate. Nothing beats experience and a well tuned gun and a load made to match. When the 44 Mag. came out in the mid 1950's a 4 inch S&W went on his hip and stayed there every day until he died in 1981. He still kept and used long barreled guns when he felt they were needed. The main thing is to know yourself and your gun and used them for what you practice for. If I was going to spend alot of time shooting at 100 yards and out I would for sure be looking for a 10 inch barrel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com