GENERAL TOPICS > Books & Movies

What's your favorite Western?

<< < (104/105) > >>

greyhawk:
I just watched the lone ranger (for about the 47th time) - its just a bunch of fun - crazy stunt stuff and effects - no foul language - the good guys win in the end (kind of). Whats not to like - oh and six shooters that just keep firing and firing and firing .............. . The proper version of it was the first movie I ever saw as a kid. 

Dave T:
No real favorite but like so many others a list.

Near the top is "Open Range", then about every Western Tom Selleck and Sam Elliott ever did. Those made for TV movies of theirs got more guns and gear right before Hollywood did. For that I'd have to include the mini-series Lonesome Dove.

As far as old 1950s Hollywood Westerns go, my favorite was always "Rio Bravo". John Wayne was...well, John Wayne, but Walter Brennon's Stumpy was my all time favorite character/sidekick.

Dave

Robert Swartz:

--- Quote from: Kid Gonzo on February 05, 2006, 07:47:19 PM ---my favorites?!!!!

Anyone remember "Gunfight"....or was it "Gunfighter" ...with Johnny Cash?

--- End quote ---

Really, really late to the party on this one. The name of the movie was "A Gunfight" starring Johnny Cash as Abe Cross and Kirk Douglass as Will Tannaray (or Tenneray, somethin' like that). Both aging gunfighters looking for a grubsteak. Was made in 1971. Remember seeing it at the Drive In in Greenwood, Indiana. One of those movies that I've never seen on TV. Similar to Burt Lancasters "Zulu Dawn". Not a western. Another modern movie that depicts the world of the late 1870's and the shape of conflicts and world events to come.

greyhawk:

--- Quote from: The Arapaho Kid on January 22, 2005, 06:51:13 PM ---Another sort of stylized Western that I like is "Red Garters" starring Rosie Clooney, Jack Carson and Guy Mitchell.  It's a kind of Western Comedy/Musical.  In that one they are always talking about "The Code of The West" and when that is said....all hats come off. 

Then, of course, there's the two Bob Hope Classics:  "Paleface" and "Son of Paleface".  Those are hilarious!

--- End quote ---

Must be the weather downunder - cant stand Bob Hope - instant channel changer for me  ;D

Oldgold:
Just saw one the other day I had never seen. Jericho. Great story. Does he get his wife and family back in the end?

Josey Wales, Tombstone, and about anything Sam Elliot, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Tom Selleck, Robert Duvall, or Kevin Costner is in.

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version