Author Topic: Any other Pipe Smokers out there?  (Read 23733 times)

Offline Coloradian

• Ex-Lawman
  • Citizen
  • Coloradian Sagebrush Cody ~ SASS #: 81442
    • Papa Duke Antler Tampers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Any other Pipe Smokers out there?
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »
There's nothing I enjoy more then a good pipe full of Cherry Cavendish in a fine briar pipe while in the great outdoors!  Ok in this case outside my home in Mississippi?

Is there anyone else out there that smokes a pipe?
Coloradian Sagebrush Cody
SASS Member No. 81442
www.PapaDuke.Net

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Any other Pipe Smokers out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »
Dern it.

Howdy, Coloradian. Ya must be thinkin’ we’re an awful unfriendly posse. We ain’t, hell, we put up with one ‘nother.

Far is I know we only got one pipe smoker whut hangs ‘round here ‘n he ain’t available right now.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »
Welcome Coloradian!

I smoke a ceegar occasionally (less now than before) and have thought I might enjoy a pipe, but have yet to try it. 
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:09:13 AM »

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 12:17:11 PM »
Used to smoke a pipe many many years ago and enjoyed them thouroughly, haven't smoked anything in about 30 years!
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:15:56 PM »
I smoke cigars at shoots for effect.  My Dad used to smoke a pipe, and I’ve thought about getting one for those times after a major shoot and everyone is laxin’ around the campfire.  Other than that I’m a basic non-smoker.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
Don't ya gotta stay 20 feet away from the nearest tent entrance to smoke...?  ;)

Can ya still get Bugler papers & loose 'baccy in a little draw string pouch?

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:51:41 PM »
My Dad had one of those cigarette rolling contraptions and used to use Bugler paper.  Every so often he would get me to roll some cigarettes for him, and I used to really mess with him,  Out of every batch I made there would be one or two that had so much tobacco in it I almost couldn’t pull the handle back to roll the cigarette.  (Very hard to even draw enough to get it lit!).  ::)  Then I would add one or two that had just enough tobacco to hold the shape of the cigarette.  (Draw on that and light it and the thing would burn right up to your lips) :o :o.  Needless to say my Dad did have me make his cigarettes very often!  ;D ;D ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »
  Bull Durham was one of the brands in a cloth bag  If I remember correctly Bugler came in a foil pack blue with a silotte of the Bugler on the front.

Rusty I believed my Dad had one of them contraptions also

good to see some others posting in here at Tall Tales welcome Coloradian and Black Powder
Mathew 5.9

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:11:52 PM »
good to see some others posting in here at Tall Tales welcome Coloradian and Black Powder

Thank you kindly.

I just recently went to a smoke shop lookin' for papers cuz I wanted to try rolling cartirdges for my c&b.  I never smoked much and my wife just quit after way too many years.  But some flick I saw recently had an exchange between two pards, the one borrowing the other's pouch, trying to put it back into his own vest pocket.  I bet it's been written into more than one western movie.  Anyway, it got me to thinkin' about maybe just for the Saturday shoots...

I know that Fall Creek sells a bunch of haversack stuffers, including a basic clay pipe and cigars, but nothing for cigarettes.  Time for more on-line research.

BP

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »
I'd like to know what you learn.  I know that pipes were in common use, and that cigars were also, but have wondered just how widespread.  The prevailing "wisdom" is that cigarettes were deemed effeminate and not yet in widespread use.  That blows all those Louis L'Amour books away. :( :D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • "He did it! He missed the barn!
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 05:00:52 PM »
Hi ya'll!

I live in the tobacco capital of the US! The Tarheel State,  North Carolina and I have smoked for 30+ yrs and am not ashamed of it neither!  I've smoked a good briar packed with Captain Black and I've smoked great dominican cigars and I've smoked some awful tasting Clint Eastwood cheroots and I've rolled my own from Bull Durham, which is still available in that little pouch and bugler too.  I learned to roll in my younger days in the early 70's when the stuff we put in them made you feel funny.  I still smoke salems and don't intend to quit no matter how much my kids nag at me.  But I can't in the house cause the boss don't like it.  Hard to get it lit when its pouring buckets.

Try JOB papers for BP paper cartridges!  It's real thin and lights up great with little residue.

Offline shieldsmt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 05:59:47 PM »
Hooo Boy....heres' a great thread.  Let's discuss smoking.  Blackpowder, sure.  But this is a little nuts, whether you smoke or not.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
BP, fore ya run on-line look to the seedier convenience stores/gas stations. Those ‘round here carry papers for the dopers.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »
Seedier convenience stores?  What, on my side of town, in these 'burbs?  Perish the thought.  I felt weird enough calling that smoke shop asking if they sold cigarette papers cuz I wanted to try re-enacting.  Heck, he probably thought I had glaucoma or was on chemo.

Didn't know that cigarettes were considered fruity in the day.  Guess Hollywood wasn't gonna tell Duke that.

Bull Durham.  Good flick, probably a good smoke.  A pouch'd last me all season.  "Smells grand, smokes right,Tastes sweet, can't bite..."

BP

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »
I wouldn't worry none BP.  All the heads around here don't use papers no more.  They take a blunt cigar, usually flavored with some kind a fruity somethin' like peach or gingerbread or cranberry, take a razor blade and cut it open some, and then load it with weed.  Nobody but the really sophisticated smokers like the politicians uses cigarette papers. But they don't inhale. ;)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
Sorry. Mistakes happen when ya don’t know where folks are.

The gang bangers are ‘bout the only ones these parts doin’ blunts. Been doin’ ‘em for years. Kindah low rent.
The suburbanites wantin’ ta relive their college days on the weekends still roll.

When ya see ‘em in the stores I described, if they’re clean they’re buyin’ papers. If they look like Bob Marley ‘n stink they’re buyin’ cigars.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 12:02:20 PM »
Ain't that profilin'   ?  ;)

BP

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »
Reckon that couldah been argued when I was a cop ‘n a defense attorney didn’t have anythin’ else. Retired now. Call ‘em as I see ‘em.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »
I've rolled Top off n on over the years, no machine.  Once ya get the trick down ya don need one.
     Ya can always tell a pot smoker when they try ta roll one.  They turn out this pathetic toothpick with the ends all twisted up.  Cant get a good drag cause the tobbacco is packed too tight.
     Dad smoked a pipe when I was a baby.  Took it up maself when I was about 17.  Captain Black vanilla.  Could never keep the damn thing lit, but boy did I stand out from the crowd ;D  The girls who didn't smoke loved the smell of it an didn't mind me puffin on it.  It threw my boss at the burger joint off kilter ta see a teen boy drawin on a pipe at the staff meetings.  I started havin a problem with the resin buildin up in the stem an stickin ta ma teeth--yuk.  I gave it up an went back ta coffin nails.
     As far as ciggarettes bein effeminent, that started with the filters as far as I know.  That's why there's a Marlboro Man.  Filtered smokes were desiged ta keep a ladies teeth and fingers clean, not fer health.  Phillip Morris wanted ta expand their market an put a tough cowbow in the adds ta let us know it was OK ta be a man an smoke em. 

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 06:16:45 PM »
Arcey, you're probably right.  I only mention it 'cause awhile back I needed somethin' to fund my cigarette, bourbon, and .45 colt cartridge habit and I took a part-time at a corner store and the wanna be's were buyin' 'em. My town ain't got but 1400 people in it and they wouldn't know a real gangbanger if he walked up and slapped 'em.  They'd be cleanin' their britches.  'bout a year ago back a wanna be broke into a 82 year old ladies house here in town and she shot him in the leg with a beretta .25, then put him on the sofa 'til the law showed up.  The no good sued her and we here in the neighborhood threw her a party and took up enough to cover her legal expenses.  Man, that old lady could shoot AND cook!

BP, what is it that Ron White said? "Turns out they were arresting every person driving on that particular sidewalk, and that's profiling, and profiling is WRONG!

Leo, sounds like you're my kind of fella.  My dad had a pipe stand on the coffee table when I was a kid but I never saw him light one.  He smoked Kool non-filters and then switched to Salems and I used to steal 'em from him.  I never will forget the day I turned 16 he offered me a cigarette and I thought I was a MAN.  Turns out he knew all along I was smokin' and takin' his and he told me I could buy my own from then on.  I never got it until I became a dad and had the same problem for a while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com