Author Topic: Hand fitting a Pietta 44 Rem. Kirst Konvertor into a Euroarms '58 Remington  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I spent an enjoyable evening hand fitting my Pietta Kirst 44 Rem Konvertor to my Euroarms '58 Remington.A plus for this is that it fits the Uberti Carbine like it was born for it. I had been told that the only difference in the Pietta and the Uberti Kirst konvertor was the length of the pietta cylinder was longer by between .018-,020 inch.

That appears to be a true statement. I took off approximately that much off my Pietta cylinder and it fits the Euro like a glove and when I tried the Konvertor in the Uberti Carbine it fit like it was made for it. :o

It was a scary thing to begin taking off metal from the face of the cylinder. Working on a potential $250.00 paperweight if it didn't work. ???   But it did work and works very well in both.

Probably now too much of a gap to be used in the in the Pietta's now. Any thoughts on the .018-,020 gap between the forcing cone and the cylinder face??  ::)
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Comanche Kid

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Tumbleweed
  • Liked:
Charlie,
            May get some lead splatter and flames. Only way to see is to try it. Never know. I've had some older revolvers with big gaps and they shot fine.

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Charlie,....don't look back  ;),......good work,.....you just turned your Pietta Kirst into an unofficial Uberti Kirst.
Your Euroarms Rem won't suffer for a name,..it's only the fit that counts. How did you do it?..... Lathe?..... by hand?

Advertising

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Or what about putting a shim/spacer between the rear of the cylinder and frame,  so that the cylinder & barrel gap stays correct?  Just slide a washer over the cylinder pin on the back  ???

John

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Or what about putting a shim/spacer between the rear of the cylinder and frame

John,...do you mean behind the recoil plate?  I would think that would interfere with the proper engagement of the hand with the cylinder ratchets that are at the back of the cyl.(they pass through the recoil plate).

I wouldn't consider putting the cut- off Pietta Kirst back into the Pietta frame. Maybe put the Pietta percussion cyl. back into it and leave it at that. It's one of those things that you can't go back with,...just gotta move forward with the project and let the cut-off Pietta Kirst serve the Euroarms or carbine. ......Just some thoughts :-\

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Oldelm,
No looking back here.
I did the work on the cylinder by hand with a flat file and the dial calipers at every turn. Measured at about every hour mark around the face(12,1,2,3, etc.) to make sure I got it square. Finished up with 600 grit. It did take some time, but I checked it a lot more than I needed too....maybe?
I have decided to keep the cylinder in the Uberti Carbine it works fine and alignment is great.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun

Offline EZWriter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
It's almost time for bed and I haven't said anything dumb yet today so this is my last chance; here goes;
How about taking one full turn on the barrel to bring it closer to the cylinder? Sorta like adjusting headspace on a rifle.
I'll bet there's plenty of reasons why that wouldn't work so pile on and let me know some of them.
Lonesome Roads

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Well for starters you would have to remove the bbl. then remount the rammer latch and front sight, fill their respective holes then turn the bbl and thread one more set of threads to make the full turn. Then you'd have machine off the proper amount and recut the forcing cone.  Far easier to buy another Kirst Convertor for the Pietta.

Way too much trouble when I have the Pietta C & B cylinder for it.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Offline EZWriter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
See, I told 'ya it was a dumb idea !

Lonesome Roads

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com