Author Topic: Here's a few you might like , pics  (Read 8990 times)

Alabama

Here's a few you might like , pics
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:08:45 PM »
Here's a samplin of some kinda cool Remingtons for ya .

This is my nicest Remington, the Pietta Old Silver . I put some fancy Lacewood grips on it . She shoots nice, points outstanding , and is oh such a joy to look at too  ;D

This one is my Nickled Model with Taylors Conversion cylinder . She's mighty shiney !  ;D Shoots nice too .

This here one is Piettas " Gunslinger " 5-1/2" barreled beauty  ;D  She sports my custom grips too from a Cherry Wood tree in my Dads yard in Dothan Alabama . Sweet shootin Iron and very sweet wood to work with .

Just a samplin of my arms and work , just wanted to share some oddball revolvers I have with ya is all .

Edit ( here's one I added this Morning ) I built this one from a kit , brass castings is all it was and rough rough rough . It is the Buffalo or Bison model from Dixie Gun Works 12" barreled tack driver. She is a fine shooter too , but it took me at least 40 hours to build her, without grips . Then I put these highly figured Eastern Curley Maple grips on her. In the pic I have yet to tap them into place, they were still curing .

Enjoy ,
 Sincerely ,
Alabama

Offline Johnny Law Dog

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Here's a few you might like , pics
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
SWEET!  Very nice wood.  :)
AMSC(AW/NAC), USN CPO Ret.
H-3 Sea King & H-46 Sea Knight Crewchief
P-3 Flight Engineer
SASS 77715
BOLD 888
SCORRS
NRA
Patrol Senior Trooper
"As it should be".  CWO USN

Alabama

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »
Thank ya Johnny Law Dog ,
Sure are allot fun making them too  ;D

Sincerely,
Alabama

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:20:45 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:02:58 AM »
Howdy!

Where do ya git all the fancy wood? (Besides the one from your Dad's yard.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Alabama

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:46:12 AM »
Steel Horse Bailey ,
I order some of it from the internet, some from trees here and there that are down I come across , and of course we have suppliers local and affar I deal with . I can get ANYTHING and do , its just a matter of keeping your eyes peeled in the forest or woodpiles or on the internet . There are suppliers on the internet that have some really nice stuff, you just got to surf a little to find what you like . I used to buy pieces from Fajen but they stopped selling to me when they downsized , bummer  :'(
I bought a pile of Maple this year for firewood and come across a peice here and there that way too and run her through my table saw, chop saw then jig-saw and cut me a blank, let her air dry for a long time , then get to work !!!  . I just keep my eyes peeled Steel Horse, most of what I use is free from me looking around is all . Cabinet shops are a great place to get stuff from too and I have never paid for any scraps they give me . They are glad to get rid of it , they just throw it away or burn it at home . I order all my very fancy stuff though through my supplier like the African or Australian woods that is . Any lumber yard can get you whatever you want, you just got to ask for thier supplier or flip them ten bucks and its on !!!!

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
Alabama,

Have you ever found a wood that could be used to simulate aged ivory?

Bull Schmitt
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Alabama

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
Hope this aint a trick question Bull Schmitt ,  ;D
but I will answer negative on that one , never have , wish I had though .
Unfortuneatley I think the big guy " GOD " stuck us Smiths with Polymers , Micartas and PVC or a couple others I can't think of right now that onyl resemble slightly , but I have yet to find or see anything that actually looks like Ivory except real Ivory . JMHO of course .

Sincerley, Alabama

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 04:43:04 PM »
Nope - not a trick question. I was thinking that5 some woods can be finished to a light tan/amber color similar to aged ivory. If thaken from the center of a log the rings might resemble ivory also. Would probably be a foreign wood of some sort if it exists at all. Just a thought.
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Webmaster

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »
I can't remember the name of it but I have seen some kind of nut that woodworkers have used as a substitute ivory, especially in inlay and purfling work. Very dense and somewhat opaque and is an off-white when cut, can take coloration.
Not sure how big they grow so may be hard put to come up with blanks usuable for grips, but is durable enough for woodworking.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Alabama

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »
Your right River City John,
I too remember an article about that Nutt , I think it was in one of my Brownells posting about it in thier Gunbench monthly I get, but I can't remember if that is where I saw that or not or when it was , has been years though ????  Never seen it up close, but I do remember it looked real-ish , just like our replicas !!!  ;D
Heck it may even be in my Brownell's catolog for that matter , just haven't had any use to go looking for that substance . Nope, just looked ....

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »
I think you are referring to Tagua nuts - http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32719&cat=1,250,43217
Sometimes called "vegetable ivory".  Biggest problem is, they aren't that big.  I haven't ever woeked with them but I have seen some a couple of small carvings and it produced a nice result.

Cheers
Icebox
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
"Vegetable Ivory!"

Ya learn sumthin' new ever' day!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Alabama

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 11:45:54 PM »
Hey Steel Horse Bailey ,
don't forget aobut Ivory "Soap" too !!!!  ;D
Just a funnin !

Think I will stick with the real deal , but only with already dead tusk non-poached ............and prefferably Walrus out of Alaska .

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »
Alabama,

I put a couple of your pictures on the SCORRS web site.

Bull Schmitt
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Webmaster

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 03:49:49 PM »
I think you are referring to Tagua nuts - http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32719&cat=1,250,43217
Sometimes called "vegetable ivory".  Biggest problem is, they aren't that big.  I haven't ever woeked with them but I have seen some a couple of small carvings and it produced a nice result.

Cheers
Icebox

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Alabama

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 06:12:29 PM »
Well thank you kindly Bull Schmitt ,
I appreciate that , not that I am advertizing for bussiness , I am not , for sure not . I only do mine or family or close friends , for free now . I hated the bussiness end of this occupation . I do her for love now, tis satisfyin indeed now .  ;D
So get to know me well and I will probably do some for ya , eventually .  ;D  Maybe , hee hee hee .

I swear I break out in laughter Bull Schmitt everytime I read your name here . Laughters a good thing !!!  ;D  If is your real name I will still chuckle because I am that twisted , don't be offeneded , I mean no harm  :P

Thanks again , Alabama

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
Alabama,

That name is my cowboy alias. ;D When I was going through a list of names with my wife and came to Bull Schmitt she said "THAT IT!!!"

I tried to register Cow Patty for her but it was already taken! :o

BS
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Webmaster

Alabama

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 06:53:54 PM »
Bull Schmitt ,
glad its your allias , and I just laughed agian, ( out Loud )  ( by myself ) .....darn that's a good one if your going to have one .

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »

Cheers
Icebox

Now I wonder if there would be any profit in experimenting with grinding up tagua nuts into a polymer solution to mold a faux ivory. . . .or laminate sections to build up a couple of slabs such that it would reveal a grain pattern as it was ground to shape. . . .hmmmmm.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Alabama

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 09:11:53 PM »
You better show us some pics of those when you do them River City John !!!  ;D
I can see the smoke comming out fo your ears right now figureing how to pull that all off .  ;D
I am sure it can be done though , why not .
Sincerely,
Alabama ,

I will be waiting for the pics , I love pics !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com