CAS TOPICS > Shooter's Meeting

4.75" vs 5.5" barrel?

(1/8) > >>

texaswoodworker:
On a Colt SAA, does the .75" difference between a 4.75" and a 5.5" barrel really make much of a difference at typical CAS distances? It seems like at those distances, it wouldn't be that hard to shoot a 4.75" barreled gun as well as a 5.5" barreled gun. What length do most of the top competitors typically choose?

Pit Mule:
I shoot both and don't think so. I'm sure an engineer type can sort out the differences mathematically but meh. It just boils down to personal preference and what feels good in your hand and works for you. I prefer the 4.75 as I feel it points quicker but I've witnessed some top shooters using 7.50's. But the most common that I see is 4.75. Just my opinion...

Jefro:
Howdy Tex, the most common IMHO is the 5.5............I can shoot mine more accurate and faster than my 4.75. If you plan on shooting Cowboy Fast Draw as well as SASS start out with the 4.75 in .45 Colt. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy

Advertising:

Pettifogger:
That 3/4" might make a difference in balance depending on the caliber.  As a practical matter there is no difference between a 4 3/4" and a 5 1/2".  The difference is in the person shooting it.

cpt dan blodgett:
One top shooter I know goes with 7.5 inch and a lever action shotgun.  The answer to what top shooters shoot appears to be all the above.  Will admit it has been a long time since anyone using a 92 could be called a really top shooter but...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version