Author Topic: An opportunity?  (Read 32705 times)

Big Hext Finnigan

An opportunity?
« on: April 01, 2004, 02:01:06 PM »
Howdy,

Not trying to gore anyone's ox here..
The software and picture capabilities of this board create an exposition of the NCOWS look and gear.

For those of us who are far away and not likely to get to an NCOWS event anytime soon, it's a window.

If O. T. and other experts in the arena would provide examples AND even kind criticisms, a newbie could cut down on embarassment, investments in mistakes and issues that might arise.

I may post a pic or two of my ugly mug, for *ahem* criticism..  ;)

Adios,

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: An opportunity?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
Now, Big Hext, we've seen your "mug"; how about some really "pretty pictures" ?(LOL)
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 03:37:02 AM »
Now that is an exelent idea. More pictures for referens for
us newbie ;D
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:33:02 AM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 09:17:10 AM »
All right.. not a posed thing... but Hamp was at the last shoot and was kind enough to risk his camera and take a shot of me and then emailed it to me.

Resistol hat
Wah shirt and vest
Tombstone Outfitters pants
San Pedro leather and spur straps
Tony Lama shooters boots

Except for the semi-fantasy hat.. a pretty solid "period" look, or so I would say.

Offline California Lawdawg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 12:05:13 AM »
Might fine looken cowboy there Big Hext.

Lawdawg

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 11:19:21 PM »
Hext, You pass muster for your"period"outfit.  The hat is a little too clean. It need some "character".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 07:37:58 PM »
Hext, your hat is like most that are worn at NCOWS events that I've attended...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 05:37:26 PM »
Hext looks pretty good....except for that shot shell slide ;)  It appears to be an exact reproduction of a piece of equipment that never existed  ::)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 08:48:16 PM »
That's true.. but since I was shooting a game that is a reproduction of shooting events that never existed, I figure it's ok.. ;)

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 11:18:25 AM »
I agree with you on this one also Big Hext.... :)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 04:15:38 PM »
But since this is a NCOWS forum I thought it would be appropriate to point out the part of your outfit that wasn't correct since you made the point about being a "period" look ;)

Wy, you might agree with Hext but it won't be long before the slide will be gone in NCOWS events if I had to hazard a guess.

Many want to recapture the whole reason for NCOWS existence and that is authenticity :)  The other group is or those who don't care about history and want to just play at a fantasy. ::)

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 08:34:31 PM »
Will, I would disagree with you that slides are going to be gone, I've spoken with people from more than a few clubs that would vote for their continued use, the only way it's going to be settled is for the Congress to vote on it....

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 05:58:44 PM »
We intend to ;)

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 12:10:57 AM »
When the shotgun slides are gone let us all hope the price of shotgun belts won't sky rocket!
SASS #54926
BOLD #H13

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 06:38:10 PM »
PC, NCOWS is such a small market I doubt it will have any impact.

I have never understood NCOWS members who are suppose to want to do things as authentic as possible resisting getting rid of the slides.

At the last congress we okayed cross bolt safeties because of legal ramifications.  No one has ever been able to provide a picture of a slide being used.  Authenticity is the biggest issue that separates NCOWS from SASS.
Madison, WI

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 08:08:11 PM »
Will, I'm now "almost" all authentic, except for the shotshell slide.  But I'm working on it.
SASS #54926
BOLD #H13

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 09:11:04 PM »
Well if you get rid of slides, you ought to outlaw shotgun belts also, I've never seen a photograph with a cowboy wearing a gunbelt and a shotgun belt, it wasn't done, so if we really want to adhere to authenticity, you would have to load only from a pocket or pouch...  And then you would only have working cowboy class..... ;D

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 05:03:09 PM »
Gee Wy, I thought you had a copy of "Packing Iron"?   On page 172 there is a picture of John Slaughter wearing both a Mills shot shell belt and a gunbelt with a SAA in a cross draw Mexican loop holster.
On page 173 you will find a picture of Teddy Roosevelt wearing a Mexican loop holster suspended on a Mills belt :).

I know you have the Montgomery Wards and Sears & Roebuck catalogs.  Both show Mills type belts and leather shell belts.  It is reasonable to assume that since both cartridge and shell belts were available they were worn together.

You refer to "cowboys" in your post.  Everyone on the Western Frontier wasn't a cowboy.  The Mills belt wasorginally developed for the Army I believe.  I doubt if a soldier going out on the prarie  to hunt would leave his pistol belt behind.  A lawman on the trail of an outlaw who wore a shotshell belt would also wear his pistol belt, or at least could have.   They couldn't have wore a shot shell slide because there just weren't any ;)

Yours is a lost cause I believe unless someone can provide documentation of the slides.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 07:02:41 PM »
Will, were not talking staged photographs here, and to use Glen Carmen's logic, there weren't any pregnant women in the Old West because he can only find only two examples on the thousands that he has examined...  If somebody was going hunting and still thought they needed the pistol, they just hung the pistol on the shotgun belt, the average frontiersman didn't walk around  packing two pistols, a lever action rifle, a shotgun, and a buffalo rifle to do their daily business...  So were playing a fanatasy game, I find the second belt around my waist EXTREMELY uncomfortable, not authentic in anyway shape or form, and if we are away from the firing line, I wouldn't wear my slides for photographs, but at the firing lines, I'm going to continue to shoot comfortably, less likely to drop a gun that way, and will always be the dissenting voice on this item....

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 07:20:47 PM »
Wy, I don't think you will find the photos posed that I referred to.
We all know why we don't find very many pictures of pregnant woman, although I have at least one.  In the Victorian era it wasn't seemly for a woman to appear in public when obviously pregnant.

In your heart you know if slides would have been "common" that we would have pictures of them and Sears would have sold them in their catalog.

I would be a lot more comfortable in shorts and sneakers when the temps are in the 90s.  That doesn't mean I can wear them. ::)

Some just don't get the NCOWS idea ::)

Like you said before it will be up to the congress to vote on. ;)
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com