Author Topic: Huntin Dawgs & Shootin Ponies  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Ozark Iron John

• We're Ridin-n-Shootin Boyz! Blam! Blam! Blam!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • You're not under Arrest. We're here to Hang ya!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Huntin Dawgs & Shootin Ponies
« on: March 18, 2005, 05:46:10 PM »
I expect Ya'll know I'm workin with a string of shootin ponies.   I've talked about 'em often enough around here and on TFS.  I sure enjoy workin with 'em and teachin my nephews to ride-n-shoot is pure joy.  I'll tell you folks about it, if'n your interested.

I ain't told ya about my Huntin Dawgs.  That's one of the reasons why I got ponies I can shoot offa.  :)

I have hound dawgs for rabits, foxes, doyotes and coons.  I've also got bird dawgs; pointers, setters and retrievers.  I've trained 'em to get along with the horses and we hunt together!  If you've ever been in the chase with a pair of hounds after a rabbit or two, or gone over the hill after a rooster ringneck you'll know what I'm talkin about.  It don't get any better, except if'n your on horseback.

Aaarrrrooww!  Arrrh!  Arrrh!  Arrrh!  Aaarrrrooww!   I love the sound of hounds in the evenin!

"Wrap my Body in a Bonnie Blue Flag and bury me with my Feet in the South!"
>:(    - Ozark Iron John cir. 1876

SASS #60933, CMSA #4406, Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Offline Ozark Iron John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Huntin Dawgs & Shootin Ponies
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 09:57:38 PM »
Grandpa had a pair of hounds.  Benjamin & Franklin.  They looked alot like that'n up above.

They were good dawgs.

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 08:09:22 AM »
Heck Pard! I guess I'm just going to have to make the trip up there. Horses, dogs, guns, & open country. Sounds like I found a new vacation spot! ;) ;)
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:41 AM »

Offline Ozark Iron John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 03:12:11 PM »
I will always remember my Grandpa saddlin mules in the light of the settin sun.  It seemed like he had a golden aura about him.  He'd mount up and shout: 

"Here Benjamin!  Here Franklin!  Come On Boyz!  Let's Go!"

We'd head out east into the dusk.  It never took long for the dawgs to hit.  This one time, they took a track south towards Auxvasse Creek.   It usually didn't take 'em long, but this time, the chase was on!  Our plan was to ride out on the flats, wait for 'em to tree and then ride down and collect up our coon.  After about 15 minutes, Pap said they were gettin too far away, so we kicked our mules into second gear and chased after them pups for four hours.  Aaarrrrooww!  Arrrh!  Arrrh!  Arrrh!  Aaarrrrooww!  All the way!.

The moon was bright and the temperature was cold.  The ride was exhillerating!   I was as far away from home as I had ever been and just a little bit scared.  Finally, the hounds bayed up against a big sycamore tree.  We got down and I held the mules.  Pap slipped the '73 Winchester out of the scabbard and started down the ridge into the darkness.  It seemed like as soon as we got into the trees, the moon disappeared.  It was dark, I couldn't see anything!

Aaarrrrooww!  Arrrh!  Arrrh!  Arrrh!  Aaarrrrooww!  Arrrh!  Arrrh!  Arrrh!  Aaarrrrooww!

The dawgs were loud, close and angry and the mules were pullin on me pretty hard.

BLAM!  BLAM!

Old Pap drug a mountain lion outta them woods.  We'd never even heard tell of one bein in Missouri.

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »
There is something special about shooting birds over a dog...Lord above I miss my old buddy Scamp, (complications from convulsions got him in '92)  Wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, but no more loyal dog ever lived...Heck fire, there is just something special about a dog, period....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com