Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 302632 times)

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #780 on: February 17, 2009, 09:10:36 AM »
Bo rode quietly next to Cyrus. Cyrus couldn’t help but notice Bo was silent most of the day.

“You mad cuz I sent your woman off with Frank?”

Bo was distracted by watching the horizon. He was waiting for something, although he wasn’t sure what that something would be. “What?” he asked never taking his eyes off what or what did not lye in the distance.

“You’ve hardly said anything all day. You are either mad or distracted, which is it?”

“Why would I be mad Cyrus?” Bo said looking Cyrus’ way.

“You don’t trust Frank.”

“I don’t trust anybody to watch Scarlet’s back as well as me, cept for maybe Johnny,  Ella and another gal you don’t know.”

Cyrus looked at him for another long moment, waiting for Bo to say something else. When Bo was quiet Cyrus finally spoke up. “What about her husband.”

Bo grinned. “Only reason I trust Johnny is she’s his daughter, he taught me a lot of what I know and I just have to accept it. Scarlet seems to share secrets with Ella she doesn’t share with me, gives Ella an edge. Don’t get me wrong, Fritz is a good man and I trust him to cover my back I trust him to keep Scarlet safe best he can. Only Scarlet can say who does the best job and I’m willing to bet I know the answer who it would be when the chips are down.” Bo dismounted “It goes beyond trust Cyrus, you know best as me there’s nobody as good as you to do a job you think yer good at. I trust you more than Frank, but Franks a good man. The things about him that make me uneasy, I best trust Scarlet’s judgment and before you even ask I’m not going to tell you.”

Cyrus laughed wondering who it really was.

“There is just something that has every nerve on edge and I can’t put my finger on it. I really don’t think it has anything to do with this mission or the fact you sent Frank off with Scarlet. But no doubt there is something foul in the air.”

Cyrus dismounted Bo’s statement worried him. He’d had the same type of feeling this afternoon too.     
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #781 on: February 19, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
The sun disappeared behind the clouds in a burst of red and purple colors. It would have been beautiful if they had been paying attention to it but the sunset was the last thing on their minds.

“I can’t believe this is even happening.” Frank said looking over at Scarlet in disbelief. “Do you have any suggestions?” He asked.

“You act like this is the first time you’ve experienced something like this.” Scarlet said flatly, her mind obviously elsewhere.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #782 on: February 22, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »
Sleep didn’t come easy for Bo but when it finally did arrive it was filled with memories that hadn’t surfaced in years.

Bo was what Johnny referred to as green when it came to the battlefield and Johnny had told him to learn or thing or two from his brother. This wasn’t Travis’ first time riding for the army; he was more seasoned than his younger brother, nobody had really expected anything to happen today but Bo had been listening to Travis mutter something about a bad gut feeling for the last hour. Right now Bo had some gut feelings of his own and they mostly resembled fear.

“Take a deep breath and remember what you’ve learned.” Travis said dismounting and hurdling the wall at the unexpected sound of gunfire erupting.  Bo followed close behind him.

“Cover me.” Travis said looking over at Bo. “No worries, I’m not gonna lose you the first time out.” Travis said patting him on the shoulder. Bo took a deep breath, knowing his brother was good at reading people. Bo loaded the rifle and provided his brother cover. He was surprised to see Travis return with one of the commanders.

“You’re a sight.” The Captain started to say.

“Save it. Tell me something I need to know.” Travis replied.

“Isaac Nelson.”

“Save yer breath Captain unless you can tell me something I don’t know.” Travis said.

The Captain looked hard at Travis. “We need back up, a medic and that bastard needs to pay for what he did to our men.”

Two more men dove behind the wall. The shoulder of the last one exploded into a red mist as he came over. The blood sprayed Bo and the Captain in the face.

Bo jerked awake. He wiped his face expecting to feel blood splatter, it was dry but the smell of gun powder and fresh blood filled his senses along with sounds of men he knew fighting for their lives. He stood up and shook it off then checked on Ella, who seemed to be sleeping with better luck than he had been. 

Bo checked on Dancer then propped his saddle up so he could lean against it. Just after sitting down he heard a familiar voice near the fire so he went to go see what was going on.

Cyrus stood on one side, someone stood next to him and they were facing the fire watching the back of the man speaking. Bo stopped next to Cyrus.

“You didn’t get old by making hasty decisions. Use your heads, remember what you’ve learned from other old soldiers.” The familiar voice said.

Bo looked through the fire at the man; he thought it odd the fire be burning so hot. It made it difficult to tell what the uniform was, no doubt it was a soldier’s uniform and it was a familiar figure wearing it. When the man turned Bo drew a breath. There was no mistaking his brother, confederate uniform and all. Travis stepped through the fire and eyed Bo. “Don’t ignore the signs, even the subtle ones.” Travis half smiled. “I don’t have ta remind ya of that though. You’ve become good at yer job. You’ve earned the respect of good men little brother.” The figure turned and stepped back into the fire, looking over his shoulder at the men. “Remember what you’ve been taught.”

Bo wanted to ask Travis why he was here but he disappeared in the flames.

Bo’s eyes flew open. He looked around, feeling Dancer’s nose bump his shoulder he knew he was really awake this time. “This has got to stop.” He thought as he got up. He could see Cyrus standing near a low burning fire. He was almost afraid to approach it this time, but did. Bo noticed Ella was missing now.

“Where’s Ella?” He asked Cyrus.

“I knew it Bo…I shoulda listened to my gut feelings.”

Bo could feel his heart begin to pound. “What’s happened?” he said looking around for any sign Scarlet was in camp.

“Richardson came in alone.”

Bo felt relief and fear at the same time. Richardson had ridden out with Teddy. “What’s the word?”

“Ella is taking the bullets out of him. He said they were jumped. Teddy didn’t make it.”

“Ah hell.” Bo whispered.

By this time Black beard and Chris joined them at the fire.

“Did Lucas say what happened?” Black beard asked.
“Are we going after Teddy?” Chris said.

Cyrus ran his hands through his hair. “He said Indians shot Teddy. They took cover but a second attack finished Teddy. Lucas said he was lucky to get away with just two bullets in him.”

“He brought back Teddy’s horse?” Bo commented looking at the animal that stood not far from where Ella had been sleeping. “That’s strange.”

“Maybe he figured Teddy wouldn’t need him any more.” Chris said.

Bo walked over to the horse and looked him over then brought him to the fire where he could see him better. “Somebody get me a light.”

Chris fetched a lantern and lit it. The men watched Bo go over the horse wonder just he was looking for or at finally Black beard spoke up. “I bet Scarlet would tell you just ask the horse Teddy calls him Red.”

Chris shot Black beard a look thinking he was being sarcastic but decided he really wasn’t.

“Red says something is not right here.” Bo said slowly as he looked the horse over. “He’s been with Teddy a long time? They’ve seen a lot of battle fields together?”

Cyrus stepped close. “Yes, Teddy broke that horse and he fears he will have to break another someday soon, but what are you getting at Bo.”

“What kind of shape was Lucas in?”

“He’s got two bullets in him, but they weren’t fatal. He was flighty some. Having your partner fall will do that to a man.”

“He said they took cover.” Bo said pulling the rifle from its scabbard. “Tell me when." Bo said slowly looking over the long gun. "Teddy takes cover does he often leave this behind when there’s a battle?”

“Not often.” Cyrus replied.

All eyes turned to Ella as she hurried towards Bo.

Advertising

« Reply #783 on: Today at 06:02:06 AM »

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #783 on: February 26, 2009, 12:18:24 AM »
"They got Teddy," whispered Lucas faintly, when Ella started looking for the source of the blood staining his buckskin coat, then passed out. She cut his clothes away from the two holes in his back.  The wounds seemed shallow, and she didn't think he had lost a dangerous amount of blood. She pulled the bullets out, then washed and dressed the wounds.

She was cleaning and putting away her tools when she realized he had been wounded by balls, not by bullets. She examined the balls closely, and found raised lines on them making the letters TLC. Scarlet had shot Lucas in the back, using Travis's gun!

Some of the war stories Bo and Scarlet told had featured these special balls. One ball in a traitor's back, to send a warning. Two balls marked the traitor, and called for help. She needed Bo's help to interpret the message, and to explain it to Cyrus. She wrapped the balls in the piece of buckskin with the bullet holes, and tucked it into her pocket.

Bo and Cyrus were standing by Teddy's horse. Ella pulled the buckskin bundle out of her pocket and handed it to Bo without any comment.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #784 on: March 04, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
"Mount up" Scarlet said making a run for Lucky.

Frank watched, not believing what he was seeing while he mounted his horse. She had leveled the big pistols at the man riding away. She was calculating, letting him get out of range, before she pulled the triggers. The bullets finding their mark in the man's back.

"What the.." he started to say.

"Move!"

Frank was unsure if it was meant for him or Lucky as the black horse started to move past him. Scarlet reached down and grabbed his rein taking Frank and his horse with them, leaving the sound of rifle fire behind them.

“Richardson was a snake in the grass but was she gonna shoot him in the back next?” was flashing through his mind.

“What are you doing?” he asked as they dismounted at their new hiding spot.

“We had to move. I knew they were gonna see the muzzle flash.” She said moving into position so she could the scene better.

“I’m not next am I?” He said coldly taking position next to her.

“What!?” Scarlet said shocked he would say such a thing.

“Back shooter Scarlet. Nobody should stoop that low.” He said.

“It’s something I learned from my Father…..” She started to explain realizing how it must have looked. There was a lot of gun fire when she had made her choice, she knew they would need help and they were gonna need Ella. The other choice was to ride off and leave and in her book that was just not a choice.

“Take down all the Yanks ya can?” he said cutting her off.

The look she gave him could have froze his soul. “Once a Reb always a Reb.” She growled at his remark. “I’m not going to shoot you Frank, and you shouldn’t try to cut me off when I’m trying to explain something that looks different than what it is.”

The gunfire started again and pulled their attention back to what they should have been paying attention to.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #785 on: March 06, 2009, 10:40:04 PM »
Bo thought Ella looked somber as she came towards them. He wondered what had happened in the medic’s tent. The bundle she handed to him caused him to raise an eyebrow as he unwrapped it. Picking up the ball that was in the best shape, Bo looked at it closely, turning it slowly as the others watched wondering what he was examining it for.

As soon as he saw the tiny raised letters the scene he had dreaming about earlier flashed.

Isaac Nelson skirted the trees not far from them. Travis’ look grew cold as he drew both pistols and fired, hitting the running man in the back. Bo was sure the back shot was deliberate. Travis could be cold and calculating. Isaac had been suspected of being a traitor and Travis and Bo had been tailing him for a couple of days.

“Cover me!” Travis yelled holstering his pistols only to return helping Isaac take cover with them. Travis put Isaac up on his horse. Told him where to find a medic then slapped the horse on the butt.

To Bo and the Captain’s surprise Travis had given Isaac a description of Johnny Longknife and Bo was certain it was Johnny’s probable location.

“What’d you just do?” The Captain asked.

Travis’s smile was sinister as he said. “Sent for back up and made sure ol’ Isaac gets everything you asked for.”

It seemed like the group of soldiers were hanging on by the skin of their teeth against the ambush. Things looked dim as they knew they’d been surrounded when a new wave of gunfire erupted. The distinguishing thunder of a heavy bore muzzle stuffer to be exact. Shortly following a grey horse flashed through the trees behind them.

“Hold yer fire.” Travis said to the men hunkered down next to him.

More gunfire sounded from beyond the line where the men that had ambushed them had held.

The grey appeared again and came to a stop near Bo’s horse. Jimmy dismounted and came in behind them.

“James Bradbury, thought I’d never say I’d be glad to see you coming through the trees at me.” The Captain said.

Jimmy just grinned in the Captain’s direction. “Johnny sends his regards.” He said to Travis as he tossed two balls at him followed by an ear. “Apologizes for the delay but we had to convince Mr. Isaac why he should tell us some things. Damn near lost him diggin’ out the second one.”

Later when they were sitting around the campfire Bo asked Travis about what had happened earlier. Travis dug the balls out of his pocket, handed them to Bo and started to explain a code that a small group of men shared. 

Bo looked up at Cyrus. “I need to know how many scouts are still out, if their paths could have crossed and where. I need some good shots who ride horses with a lot of endurance.”

Cyrus held out his hand for Bo to show him what Ella had handed over. Bo placed the balls in his hand. Cyrus examined them closely.

“TLC?” Cyrus commented.

“Tender Loving Care?” Chris remarked.

“Something like that.” Bo responded holding his hand out for Cyrus to give the balls back.

Cyrus dropped the balls back in Bo’s hand looking a little paler. He leveled his gaze at Bo. “Remember what you’ve learned from old soldiers?”

“My head is quite clear at the moment.” Bo responded wondering if it had been no dream at all. “We are going after Teddy. I think we will be riding into something ugly. I need someone who can patch wounds, most likely while under fire.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #786 on: March 07, 2009, 12:42:27 AM »
"That would be me," said Ella. "I'll saddle Aaron. He's ready for a bit of a run after only carrying the pack saddle all day. Everything I expect to need is in my pockets, almost anything else I might need is already in my saddlebags." 
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #787 on: March 25, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »
“Get what ever you think you need Ella.” He said happy Ella had volunteered. He would have bet she would have given the circumstances. That message was probably sent as much to her as it was to him. Ella had proven herself under fire and Bo trusted her when he wouldn’t have someone else who might be as qualified.

“I’ll get saddled.” Cyrus said.

“No, yer not going, and someone you trust is staying close by you.” Bo replied.

“Teddy is my brother. I have every right.” Cyrus said not used to being told no by someone who should be taking orders by him.

“I don’t know why they shot Teddy. Are they after you, knowing you’ll come? Are they after your scouts? Or could be it was Indians and we are over reacting? Sides if we’re not back by this time tomorrow I need someone still alive to know where we went.” Bo said leveling his gaze at Cyrus.

“These are my scouts.” Cyrus said stepping close so the rest of the men would not hear the conflict.

Bo tilted his head as he looked at Cyrus. “You didn’t get old by making hasty decisions. One of my duties is protect the one in charge. You are responsible for making sure those soldiers have the upper hand. So I must be in charge of making sure you are safe.” He half smiled. “Now where would Teddy and Scarlet crossed paths?”

Cyrus snorted knowing Bo was right. He would send some good men with Bo and Ella and keep some good ones close. He knew who he could surely trust. Cyrus had a map and was looking it over as he rattled off names of scouts who had not returned. He pointed to a spot, rolled up the map and started to hand it to Bo.

“No, you will need this more than me. If this group of men and Ella cannot find a gunfight with directions we are a sorry lot.”

Chris had his horse saddled and ready, he was mounted up before anybody would even have a chance to tell him he was or was not going. He could help Ella if needed, he was a good shot, and his horse could keep up with the best of them.

Cyrus looked up at Chris. “You prove yourself. Don’t give Bo any reason to knock you on your arse.” He said knowing Chris could be a handful at times.

Everyone who was riding with Bo and Ella had saddled their horses, gathered their gear and were ready to go. Cyrus stepped close to Bo and Ella and very quietly gave them a few names of men still out he would not be surprised might want to cause trouble.

He took Bo’s hand. “God speed my friend. I’ll be watching the hours and then come myself.”

Bo shook his head in understanding. He hesitated to say it but finally did. “I once knew a man who had to kill his own brother to save his own life. Watch yer back.”

“Just because we share blood does not mean we are brothers. My brothers are out there spilling their blood in the dirt. Now go bring ‘em back in one piece. Show me what you learned from those Reb teachers of yours.”

Dancer stood like a statue until Bo asked him to move. Cyrus watched them; there was something different about the man and horse when there was a purpose at hand. “They taught you well.” He said softly as the group rode out. 

At the soldiers camp Billy watched the group of scouts ride out just before sun up. There was something in the air that went with them. Teddy had not come over to see him, something was afoot. 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #788 on: April 02, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »
Teddy had heard the gun fire beyond the immediate threat he was facing. He couldn’t believe he’d been double crossed like that. What did they want? He wondered as saw Amon James and Benjamin Kelly riding towards him. Ben made a quick dismount taking cover next to Teddy, Amon wasn’t so lucky. He lay on his back with a bullet in his chest. Teddy dropped his head, Amon had been a good friend and ridden along time with them.

“Who’s out there?” Ben asked firing back towards where the gunfire was coming from.

“Don’t know, was just asking myself the same question.” Teddy replied.

“Did Richardson try to ride for help? Saw him movin off.”

“Yeah with my gear and horse.” Teddy spat. “If I live to see the sun come up I’m gonna hang the son bitch, if I make it.”

“How bad you hit?”

“Bad nuff you don’t move me.”

Ben looked at Teddy in disbelief. The man had been round gun fights long enough to know about how to kill someone slow of fast.

“Look if by chance someone who can help me shows up, if they start in talkin’ bout needed to take a leg to save my hide.” Teddy paused for a moment “you put a bullet in me, then you find Richardson and put one in him, make sure he dies slow and painful.”

“Swear on my mama’s grave.” Ben said.

He moved trying to get Amon’s gun but the gunfire pinned him down.

The sound of more horses and gunfire rang their ears.

“Hang on!”

“Stay back!” Teddy yelled responding to the sound of Charley White’s voice.

Ben tried to provide cover as they rode in. Charley made it, Morgan fell just behind where Amon lay.

When Morgan tried to move to reach them whoever it was picking them off fired, missing him. Morgan knew he would die there in the dirt from another bullet. He put his head down, slowly he reached for Amon’s gun. He’d dropped his own to far for him to reach without letting them know he was still alive.

“Meriweather, keep still.” Charley whispered.

Morgan rolled his eyes toward Charley. All he could think was how much he really didn’t like his first name and the Crow he rode with took delight in reminding him what it really was. Only man he ever let call him by it. Prolly cuz they went so far back coverin’ each other’s butts.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #789 on: April 03, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
Teddy took a deep breath. He wondered if this was the end he had told Scarlet he’d seen. He knew the bullet was close to one of his major veins or maybe it was an artery. He was afraid if he moved he’d not have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting help. Help would have to come to him. What were the odds? The scouts that were due back at camp in the next day or two were around him. The others were further out or hadn’t come this way and would miss this scene. Cyrus wouldn’t be worried for another day or so ‘bout his whereabouts. He also wondered if it was the loss of blood that was making him ponder his life and where his soul would end up. He had been a fairly decent human being he thought. He could remember Scarlet saying something about dreams were only glimpses of the future. Sometimes you could change that future. How did one change one’s own vision of death?

“Think Gonzales is still alive?” Ben asked looking beyond where they were hiding to another fallen scout.

“Don’t know. Collins shot him close range ‘fore I shot him.” Teddy whispered. He’d been so surprised seeing it he never saw his own ambush coming.

“We got to get closer.” Frank said. “We’re doing no good to them up here, watchin’ whoever it is pick ‘em off like fish in a barrel.”

“We won’t do any good lyin’ in the dirt next to ‘em either.” Scarlet said. “We got to think Frank. You might think about movin’ again too.”

Frank looked over at her. She was loading the rifle. Damn who was she gonna use that cannon on, and could she really hit anything from here? He thought. The woman was defiantly operating at some level he wasn’t understanding.

“You might start thinkin’ bout countin’ how many we are up against too, and where they are at. I’m gonna try to cover them so they can get Morgan, hopefully they will take the opportunity. Bastards should fire back or scatter from their cover.” Scarlet said taking aim.

“What the hell!” Charley said at the thunderous sound followed by thud that shattered a corner of a rock where the attackers were hiding.

Teddy’s head jerked up. He was almost sure he had heard it or was he dead now?

Ben’s head spun round to see where the noise had come from. “Teddy was that yer rifle?”

Teddy smiled like he’d heard music. “No, but I think there might be somebody out there tryin’ to help us. Charley, can you get to Morgan?” 

“I tried, I can try again.”

The men waited to see what was going to happen next. There was no return fire, yet. Then another shot from whoever was trying to help them roared. Charley made a run for Meriweather, gunfire sounding behind him, the sound of thunder ahead of him. He helped Meriweather back to cover before asking. “Who’s out there, wait I don’t care he appears to be on our side.”

Teddy’s smile had not disappeared. “You look like a man who just cheated death.” Morgan said looking at him. “I should be the one wearing that grin.”

“Maybe I think there is a chance. That sound is the sound of a big bore Sharps, .45-.110 one of the most powerful cartridges to be chambered. Accurate further than my eyes can see, damn deadly in the hands of someone who knows what they can do with it.”

“Why didn’t they come in closer?” Ben asked.

“Room is getting limited here. She’s a smart one.” Teddy replied.

“She? Scarlet and Frank are out there?”

“If I remember the sound of her rifle yes, counting the time between shots, I’m thinking so.” Teddy said relieved. She had not been there when he died in his dream; maybe it was a sign for him to hang on. Maybe Frank had gone for help.

When Scarlet reached where Frank had moved to he asked “Where’d you learn that?”

Scarlet looked at him puzzled at first then narrowed her eyes and replied. “Something else I learned from my father. Did you have a chance to count to see how many we’re up against?”

Frank sort of felt like a heel for his earlier comment but she’d done what she’d done. “I counted at least five between the gunfire and seeing movement.”

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #790 on: April 14, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »
Gunfire kept the men pinned in the rocks. Nobody was willing to abandon Teddy while he appeared to have a chance and there was somebody helping out there that knew where they were. 

“You men can go with the cover of darkness.” Teddy said.

“Speak for yourself Teddy.” Morgan chuckled.

“We ain’t goin’ no place.” Ben said.

“We’re not gonna go back and face Cyrus and tell him we left you alive out here.” Charley stated.

“Well maybe one of you should scout out there and find out who the enemy is.” Teddy replied.

“Still givin’ orders lyin’ there on yer face Teddy. Yer not ready to give up. Ben said causing Teddy to smile in spite of his foggy head .

“I’ll go.” Charley said.

“Be careful.” Ben and Morgan replied.

“Remember Frank and Scarlet are out there, maybe others on our side. Be very careful to judge correctly.” Teddy said.

“We need to find out how bad they are wounded.” Scarlet said.

Frank nodded his head in agreement.

They rode in as close as they dared then dismounted. Frank wondered why Scarlet remove Lucky’s bridle but figured he wasn’t going to ask anymore personal type questions. She was already irritated with him; rightfully so maybe but he had his own reasons too. She shouldered her saddlebags and took her rifle before following Frank in.

When they were close enough Frank signaled to Ben, who was on watch.

“Can you move?” Frank asked Morgan.

“I can, but Teddy says he ain’t goin’ nowhere without startin’ to bleed again.” Morgan replied.

Teddy looked over at them. “One life ain’t worth the rest of yours.”

Frank shook his head back and forth. “Someone seems to think so.” He commented.

Teddy half smiled “I heard that big gun. It was like music from heaven.”

Frank didn’t reply.

“How bad are ya Teddy?” Scarlet asked.

“I’m getting strange feelings going through my body Scarlet. It feels like it bled a lot.” He  put his hand on top of hers and looked at her. Reading the look Scarlet bent low so he could whisper. “I’m having moments of blackness and I’m startin’ to wonder if it’s worth holdin’ on.”

Scarlet squeezed his hand. “Cyrus needs you when we find the Indians Teddy. Them soldiers are gonna need men who’ve seen battle before and know how to handle themselves. Most importantly yer not dyin’ on my watch, ya understand me.”

“Tell me ‘bout the place you call home.”

“You come visit anytime. Promise those boys will treat you right.”

Teddy chuckled softly. “I’ve heard bout the men of The Southern Starr. I woulda liked to been there when Captain King went riddin’ up there.”

Scarlet half smiled. “We’ll feel free to ask him what he thinks of them boys, who by the way have become real loyal to ‘im.”

“I  ‘spect they are loyal to you Scarlet and should anything happen between the two of you it wouldn’t take but a heart beat for them to choose who they would stand behind.”

It was hard to tell in the dark but Scarlet figured Teddy had been smart not to move much. She cleaned the wounds best she could without making the bleeding start again. She noticed the sideways glances when leaned close enough and smelled them. “Doesn’t smell like yer startin’ to rot yet Teddy, that’s a very good thing.”

“Can you take ‘em out?”

“I’d rather leave it to Ella.”

“Ella? It’ll sure be rotted by the time I see her. If I just don’t bleed ta death first. I’m not letting anybody take my leg neither. Bullet in the back of my head for that happens.”

“I’ll be sure to tell her, when she gets here.”

“They won’t send anybody lookin’ for us for days. Even I can tell you he doesn’t have that kinda time.” Frank said.

“If Ella ain’t here by morning I’ll do it in the day light.”

“Morning? Whatcha do send her a message?” Morgan snorted.

Scarlet looked pointedly at Frank “Yeah I did. I hope the messenger made it.”

Frank’s eyebrows knitted together as he wondered what she was talking about.

“Women got some kind of mind link?” Ben asked.

Scarlet smiled. “Sometimes, but sent a message she could hold in her hand if she gets it. If not we’ll have to figure something else out.”

The men exchanged questioning looks. Teddy seemed to be the only one that didn’t think she was loco.

Charley returned. “Gonzales wasn’t so lucky.”

“Did you see Richardson anyplace?” Scarlet asked.

“No.” Charley answered. Scarlet looked relieved.

Frank was really confused now. Did she not want people knowing what she’d done? Maybe it had been a bad decision made in the heat of the moment but it had looked so calm and calculated.

“I could make out Collins and Torres, rest of ‘em I can only tell you they ain’t the Sioux we’re huntin’. I counted five men, eight saddle horses, cold camp. They don’t seem to concerned bout us sneakin’ off either, but they are watchin’ and spread out.” Charley said.   

“Teddy, what other scouts might be passing by here come daylight?” Scarlet asked.

“Anybody ridding long day scout tomorrow most likely.”

“In other words the men that stay closer to the soldiers or closer to Cyrus?” Frank stated.

“I think so. They’d reach us by mid morning maybe mid day. Soldiers they’re moving to slow, might make it following day, unless they pick up the pace.”

Scarlet sat back on her heels. She appeared to be looking into the distance off in her own world.

“How many their throats could ya cut before they startin’ shootin’ at ya Charley?”

Ben and Frank looked surprised. Charley was at her side in an instant. “Just cuz I’m an Indian Scarlet don’t mean I’m good at sneakin’ up on a man an slicin’ his throat.”

“I ain’t judging the color of yer skin or the clothes yer wearin’ Charley.” Scarlet looked sideways at Frank “I learned that was a way to make a big mistake when I was a child.” Her eyes came back to him. “It’s in yer eyes, you were wondering the same thing. I want to know two things. Are you capable and could they be gotten to?”

“He’s capable. Don’t underestimate her Charley.” Teddy said. 

Charley took a long look at Scarlet, she claimed she didn’t carry things just for looks and that Bowie she carried made a hell of a statement.

“A good warrior could get a couple of ‘em.”

“What about two better than good ones?”

“We could definitely even up the odds a bit.”

Scarlet handed the long gun to Teddy along with some ammo and left her saddle bags next to him. “She bites a bit.” She said with a wink before slipping into the darkness with Charley. 

“I just don’t understand ‘er.” Frank remarked.

Ben chuckled. “Well if you do, you’d be the first man to understand a woman. Gunman or not she’s still a woman.”

“You are just youngun’s.” Teddy said.

“And that means?”

“You never studied how the enemy was trained. After the war you never bothered to get to know any of ‘em” Teddy replied.

“Southern women are nice to know.” Frank said

“Bo is probably the first southern I met actually fought with Rebs. Most of the ones I know joined the U.S. Army.”

“Know any trained to be loners?”

“Only survivors Teddy. Scarlet is playing on an entirely different level. I’m wondering if I can really trust her.” Frank said.

“How can you say such a thing?”

“How many people has she had to get their trust only to be what they would consider the double crosser?”

“You mean earning the trust of outlaws to get information or arrest them?”

“Mostly.” Frank said.

“What happened between you two out there today?”

“She shot Richardson in the back Teddy. ‘Splain that to me.”

“Did you ask her?”

“Said it was something she learned from her father and then said something ‘bout once a Reb always a Reb.”

Teddy was quiet for a long time trying to figure out what the statement was about.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #791 on: April 17, 2009, 01:19:16 PM »
Fritz was disgusted.  How could this have happened?  At least he had the comfort of knowing that it wasn’t one of his own men.  Some private off on a woodcutting detail had carelessly thrown his revolver to the ground before working.  The revolver discharged, striking the boy in the thigh.  According to the doctors, the projectile had lodged itself in one of the boy’s kidneys.  The wound was mortal.  There was nothing that could be done, save to make him as comfortable as possible.  For once, Fritz was glad that he didn’t have to write that letter.  “We regret to inform you that your son is dead because he was stupid,” he muttered. 

Fritz took his NCO’s aside and reminded them of what they already knew, what he had taught them many years ago.  The Colt’s Revolver and the Springfield Carbine were weapons, the tools of their trade.  And their trade was death.  The weapons were to remain clean, oiled and loaded at all times.  The revolver was to be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber when holstered.  If the trooper were riding into danger, he could load the empty chamber at his own discretion, once the revolver was drawn. 

He hadn’t lit the cigar since he and Scarlet talked, but he rolled it between his fingers as he sat.  Off in the distance, he thought he heard a familiar sound.  Two heavy thuds, like the beating of an old heart, echoed across the landscape.  In his youth, the grizzled Sergeants carried them long after they were declared obsolete, just as he’d held onto his Navies.
Someone had fired a Walker.  Twice.
“Scarlet…?”

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #792 on: April 20, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »
“FIRST SERGEANT!!!”
The flap of Fritz’s tent nearly burst open.  The sentinel stepped clear to avoid any flying debris.  Fritz came out, buckling his prairie belt, and reaching for his saddle.
Scott was already headed for Fritz’s tent.  They both had old ears, but they still moved to the sound of the guns.  He stopped in front of Fritz and saluted.  Fritz returned the salute without dropping the saddle.
“First Sergeant, put a detail together.  Ten men, hand-picked…men you trust.  Rations for two days’ ride, and as much ammo as they can carry.  We ride out in five minutes.”
“I’ll take the detail myself,” Scott replied.
Fritz said “damn it Scott, my wife’s out there.”
Scott leaned in close.  “Fritz!  You aren’t the First Sergeant anymore.  I am.  You aren’t even a Lieutenant, so I can’t blame your behavior on youth and inexperience.  You’re the Captain of this troop.  Your first priority is to your command.”
“Scott…”
“We both know what kind of woman you married,” Scott said.  “She’s well trained and experienced.  She’ll survive.  And if not, it’s too late to do a damned thing about it."
Fritz nodded, and dropped his saddle.  “Take charge of your detail,” he said.  “Stay safe.” 
Scott saluted, wheeled about, and took off at a run.  Fritz re-entered his tent, and dropped his gunbelt on the bed.
“Shit.”       

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: April 21, 2009, 09:37:22 PM »
Teddy wasn’t sure how long he’d been out. He remembered he was trying figure out what had happened between Frank and Scarlet. Now he was looking at Charley and Scarlet looking back at him. They both were splattered with blood and the sun was starting to come up.

“Report.” Teddy said looking at them.

“There’s more than I originally counted. We were able to take down a couple of the outriders though.” Charley responded.

“You two ok?”

“Not much of the blood is ours.” Scarlet said moving to take a better look at Teddy’s wounds in better light.

“Can we move him?” Ben asked.

“Even if Teddy could move it’s going to be a fire fight getting out of here unless they want us to go.” Charley said.

“Why were you able to get out and kill them, and where did you get the canteen?” Frank said.

Charley narrowed his eyes at Frank. “Sometimes specialized training comes in handy. That’s why we are part of Cyrus’s team. We have skills others don’t.”

“The canteens are ours Frank. Charley and I went back to where you and I left the horses and got them.” Scarlet replied coldly.

“You two have to get past whatever is eating at you.” Teddy growled. “Frank says you shot Richardson in the back.”

“That’s true. Did Frank also see fit to inform you he lectured me on morals and wouldn’t let me explain anything?” Her voice was calm but they could all hear the irritation. Scarlet turned to Frank “As much as you’re making me mad Frank I still trust you.”

Frank glanced down. “I still trust you too Scarlet. I just wish I understood you better.”

“Then next time if you ask for an explanation keep your mouth shut long enough to hear it.”

Teddy could tell from the looks and comments Charley had made he knew the reason and was ok with it. Charley must have spent some time talking to Scarlet while they were out there.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #794 on: April 23, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »
Cyrus took a deep breath; they only had been gone long enough for the sun to barely rise. Bo should have picked up Richard’s trail in the early light, but the sounds of the big gun had echoed across the plains long before, he was probably following that.

He could remember Johnny Longknife’s face like he’d seen it yesterday. The man could be ruthless, black hearted and a vicious killer, more skilled at killing than most men Cyrus knew. Travis had run a close second. On the other hand both had a loyalty to their friends and family and you could see the gentleness in them when they were around the ones they loved. Rose, Johnny’s wife was a loving, giving woman, but never, never mess with her family. She could be cold and calculating as well, both charming people. Cyrus had seen both Scarlet’s charm and her skills at fighting.

Militia, ghosts, sharp shooters, there was a list of names for them. He knew some of the codes the Rebs had. Cyrus couldn’t shake the vision he’d seen earlier. Why had he even seen Travis in a worn Reb uniform? Last time he’d seen him he hadn’t worn it. In fact, Cyrus could only remember seeing the man during the war once, their friendship came about afterwards, but the stories that surrounded the men that rode with Johnny Longknife had kept many a scout awake at night. There were codes that hadn’t been broken, even after the war there were some things that were never discussed in the presence of  “outsiders”. When Ella dropped those lead balls in Bo’s hand you would have thought Travis was standing right there talking to him. He had ridden off with a purpose, knowing what he was getting into, or seemingly so. Ella had looked equally somber when she’d handed them over. She had known something.  “I once knew a man who had to kill his own brother to save his own life. Watch yer back.” Echoed through Cyrus’ mind. Bo had implied he watch his back against Dick for some reason. A reason Cyrus would not ignore. Bo had shared a look with Black beard that had said “don’t let him out of your sight.” Right now he couldn’t even pee without Black beard watching him. Bo had implied there was a traitor among them without actually saying it.

Looking back when Scarlet went at it with Chris Cyrus bet she was holding back. The question was just how much had Johnny taught her as far as Reb ghosts  and their codes were concerned. Cyrus looked across to the soldier’s camp and wondered if Fritz knew anything having lived among them.

“I’m going to see Captain King.” He said walking past Black beard, who fell in next to him.  The half breed they called Axe followed them. His given name was Martin Alexander but, like many of the men that had ridden very long with Cyrus, they had given him a nick name. The man was deadly with the tomahawk he carried, so the others started calling him Axe.

To say Fritz looked irritated was an understatement when Cyrus was given permission to enter his tent, leaving the other two standing outside.

Cyrus stood at attention and gave Fritz his formal report. “One of the scouts has come back. “HE” Cyrus stressed the word he “reports Indian activity. HE implied they got Teddy. No reports of any of the other scouts being involved.”  Cyrus said knowing by the way Fritz was looking at him he was wondering if Cyrus knew anything of Scarlet’s whereabouts. “Sent out a group to check out the report.” 

To Cyrus, Fritz currently didn’t seem impressed with the formality but took in the information.

“Anything else Cyrus?” Fritz said eyeing him.

Damn, he had the same look she had,  the man had lived with Scarlet to long or did Cyrus feel some kind of guilt or maybe he was just to anxious to ask Fritz something and the Captain knew it.

“Permission to speak man to man Captain.” Cyrus replied.

“Granted. Now tell me something Cyrus.” Fritz said.

Cyrus took a deep breath. “Ella dug two lead balls out of Richardson’s back, the scout that came in. Knowing the scouts that are out there, Scarlet is the only one who comes to mind that would carry something that would use such a thing. Both balls had the small letters T.L.C. in them. You would have to know to even look for the letters they were so small. When Bo saw them you’d have thought he’d seen ghosts. He waited for no orders, instead began to give them. He rode out of here with a group of well trusted men and Ella saying they were headed for something ugly. You lived with Johnny and the men that served with him. You married his daughter and the widow of his right hand man. The two balls meant something to Ella. Is this an old code of Longknife’s and does it mean anything to you?" 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #795 on: April 24, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
Scarlet traded Teddy a gun belt and pistol she had taken off the man she killed for the rifle she had left him. “Teddy I am of better use out there, like Charley. Some one should be riding a perimeter to keep anybody else from charging in here.”

“Charley said they’re not going to let us out of here.”  Frank said.

Scarlet looked at him. “Then I’m going to trust you to cover my ass while we do.” She said irritated.

“Woman you are impossible.” He snorted.

“I love you too Frank.” She said blowing him a kiss.

Teddy smirked. “Go. Stay safe, we’ll keep you covered.” He gave her a wink.

“You men keep ‘em busy. We expect back up soon.” Charley said touching Scarlet’s shoulder signaling her to follow him.

Frank scanned the rocks. Finally finding a target he fired. Ben turned to tell Charley and Scarlet to go but they hard already disappeared.

Bo had slowed Dancer much to the horse’s disapproval. Dancer shook his head from side to side but remained well behaved otherwise. The words “We must be right on top of them.” No sooner left his mouth when the sound of gunfire disrupted the eerie quiet hat hung in the air.

“There.” Chris said pointing into the shallow basin below them.

The sound of thunder echoed the basin followed by the sharp sound of a bullet impact. The echoes hadn’t died before they started again. There was fast movement from the rocks.

“What’s goin on?” Chris said trying to calm his dancing horse.

Bo smiled. “She’s tryin’ to flush ‘em.” He yelled over the noise. “Move in range.” Bo thought a minute. Scarlet was a deep believer in dreams she could read. “You men and Ella. No ridin’ in. You stay to the outside. Let’s catch whoever it is in a crossfire!” Bo looked at Ella. He knew she had spotted Teddy and Morgan. “I mean it Ella. I see them, we’ll get you down there as soon as possible, and I mean that too.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #796 on: April 24, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »
Ella knew Bo was right. She pulled out her rifle and followed Chris and the others around the outside.
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #797 on: April 24, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »
Fritz thought carefully before he spoke.   “Travis was Scarlet’s first husband.  His surname was Corbin.  Scarlet’s surname is Longknife, as you know.  The initials tell me these balls came from her Walkers.  They belonged to Travis.  She carries them for personal reasons I’ve never questioned.   I’m familiar with the sound those pistols make when they’re fired.”

Cyrus nodded his head, waiting for more.

“The original Walker loading was a .44 caliber lead ball over 60 grains of black powder.  The pistol could kill the horse as well as the rider.  Supposedly, several cylinders failed due to this loading.  I think that the failures were caused by improper loading; either loading the conical bullets backwards, or by the Army trying to proof-load the cylinders.  Either way, the Dragoon, the next pistol Colt made, had its cylinder shortened to hold only 50 grains of powder.”

“This is all very interesting” Cyrus replied, “but what the hell does it have to do with the current situation?”

“It means, Cyrus, that if Scarlet had intended to kill your scout, she’d have done it.  She either hit him in spots that weren’t lethal, or she downloaded one cylinder in each pistol so as not to make a killing shot.  She kept her hammers down on empty chambers.  My guess is she loaded those chambers with less powder, and placed the initials towards the charge so as not to deform them. “

“Clever girl,” Cyrus whispered. 

“Now,” Fritz said, “I’ve just dispatched a detail towards the sound of the guns.  You can catch them if you hurry, and give them this information.”                 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #798 on: April 24, 2009, 08:37:46 PM »
Cyrus had to wonder if it was just that simple. A message saying I shot him. There had to be something more to it than that. If Scarlet had intended to kill the scout she would have most likely placed the bullets in his spine. The man was left alive for some reason.   

"Why twice, in the back? If she'd wanted Bo to know she had shot a man, one well placed bullet could have sent him here."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #799 on: April 24, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
Bo drew his own pistol. It was his turn to make some noise to let Scarlet know they had been found, Teddy too if he recognized the sound of Bo's horse pistol.

Scarlet heard the sound of the old pistols over the sound of the colts most of the others carried. She scanned the out lying area looking for who had rode in. They were well hidden but she could count the distinctive sounds each gun made, Ella's rifle was among them.

Charley hot footed it over to where Scarlet was. "Please tell me those old pistols were Bo's talkin' to us." He said.

Scarlet smiled. "Yep, gotta find him and tell him who we know is on our side, although it's not hard to see."

"Then we shouldn't be standin' here jawin'." He replied.

Scarlet waited until Bo fired firing right after. She repeated the action everytime he fired, one shot for one shot. Bo finally worked his way to their location. She wasted no time telling him what she knew finishing with "we got to get Ella down there and make it safe for her."

"Time to turn up the heat on this little gathering then." Bo said touching the brim of his hat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com