Author Topic: Track of the Wolf Cumberland Bowie Knife  (Read 57528 times)

1961MJS

Re: Track of the Wolf Cumberland Bowie Knife
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »
Hi

I drew up a pattern for a tacked style knife, but the dang thing will take about 1.5 square feet of leather.  I'm now trying to have other thoughts.  That there blade is WIDE!!!

Later Y'all, have a good Xmas   :)

1961MJS

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
Hi

I ended up working my way forward on the design that Chuck suggested.  I've gotten the sheath itself cut out, the edges are sanded, the interior is sanded, died, and finished, the welt is cut and finished, and I'm working on a carving pattern.  I'm busy trying to sell a house and a car so don't hold your breath waiting or anything.

Later Y'all

1961MJS

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 08:20:45 PM »
Hi everybody

I'm still at work on the sheath and learning to carve roses and the leaves.  I used my Lansky sharpener to put an edge on the blade.  It cut up celery really well, I just started chopping the last stalks.  Mr. Bowie would be SOO proud. 

Later y'all

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:11:34 PM »

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
Where did you get that idea? Company D, Texas Rangers, early 1890s. Front row, second from left has a "modern" loop style sheath.

Better look.

The man third from left in the front row, Captain Frank Jones, was killed in the line of duty on June 30, 1893, so that pretty much dates the photo as before that date and decidedly not "modern".

I'm not sure how others feel. Speaking for myself its enough to evoke the period I am interested in (1865-1890) without getting too hung-up on every little detail. For instance, I have an oversized chocolate colored suede coat that I had cut down so that I could wear it as a range/scout coat. I'll change out the plastic buttons for brown wood buttons and I don't see me running around to find bone buttons if those are what were really used. I'll probably hit one of the period clothing INTERNET places to get pants and braces, shirts and whatnot..... but trying to make every last detail accurate seems like diminishing returns, unless I'm planning to go the re-enactor" route.  Just sayin.....

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »
Bruce be contacting you over next few days about progress on your other project. However if you would like some antler buttons I can help you out.

1961MJS

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »
Hi

I've been reading and re-reading Alex Kozlov's book on Plains India Knife Sheaths.  This is the result.  The first two pictures are of the completed Sheath.  Buck_Skin_01 shows the way I attempted to shive down the leather on the edges.  That worked well,  but could be pointier.  Buck_Skin_02 shows the back of the sheath.  Alex shows that beaded knife sheaths can be fringed using the same piece of Buck skin that is beaded by just running it over the edges and sewing the two pieces together.  It will look better if you lay the FRONT of the sheath flat and put the holes in to sew.  The front will look flat that way.  I did it the opposite way, which is why there's a ridge on the front of the sheath.

Later Y'all

1961MJS

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
1961MJS,

I've looked at that blade more than a few times (along with the Natchez, which I agree I like even better).  I'd love a report on what you think of the blade itself, if you get around to testing its cutting and edge-retaining mettle (pun absolutely intended).

Hi

I love the blade, I cut with it quite a bit and it holds an edge pretty well.  I didn't clean out my Lansky sharpener stones, so cleaning up the edge took longer.  Cleaned the stones and everything worked MUCH better.  This is my "Go to" kitchen knife.  I have a Russel Green River sheath knife that I open boxes and letters with.

Later

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com