Author Topic: 11 degree forcing cone reaming kit  (Read 1899 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: 11 degree forcing cone reaming kit
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 11:13:28 PM »
Grant, a friend of mine here had the same thing happen with his Schofield.  Fortunately, he already had the kit to fix it.  Makes you wonder who was working QC there.

Dale … don't know if you saw it on an earlier thread elsewhere in CAS City where we were discussing this on-and-off issue, in which Drydock (I think it was him, anyway) expressed the tongue-in-cheek view that, possibly, when the only guy on the Uberti production line tasked with cutting forcing cones takes a break (coffee, bathroom, whatever) then a number of barrels get through without a forcing cone, until he returns to work … 

;)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: 11 degree forcing cone reaming kit
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2024, 11:29:53 PM »
For what itmay be worth, these two photos (apologies for quality) show the complete absence of any hint of a forcing cone on the barrel of my Uberti Russian Model …the rear faces of the rifling lands were literally squared off flush with the rear face of the barrel -

The photo on the left was taken without cleaning after having fired a few rounds - you can see the lead buildup (although as mentioned earlier, a lot of it was being blown back along the outer surface of the cylinder.) The sharp edges of the rifling lands are evident in the photo on the right, taken after cleaning …

Examples of the lead buildup I would get back along the cylinder … particularly in the flutes -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com